Spring vs Fall Training (Read 563 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Is it just me or is it easier to get injured during the winter then during the heat. It seems like everyone I know that runs is getting injured. My knees are starting to talk to me a little as well. Touchy little guys.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    DoppleBock

With ice and snow you have to use your stabalization muscles much more and unless you run a lot on uneven ground (Trails or grass) the rest of the year it will cause a lot of strain on the hips and knees. I am not sure of this point, but if you are mixing TM and outside, each is different at stressing your body and can cause strain switching back and forth. Finally, surfaces are harder - Except concrete that is very hard all the time. Asphalt (Blacktop) is softer in summer than winter. Ground is harder frozen than in summer. But ... mostly my 1st point. I actually find less injuries in winter as I run much slower.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Aside from surface footing, it's possible your muscles aren't as warm when running, hence don't respond as well and aren't as flexible. It partly depends on where you are. I wouldn't expect temps in the +30s F to be much of an issue, but when you get down to subzero F and maybe layer a little on the light side, it's possible that leg muscles cool over time - at least for me it happens. Usually adding a layer of windpants in subzero temps helps a lot. If you run on roads most of the year and now are running on uneven snow, yes, I can see where folks would have problems. Folks who run on trails would have stronger balance muscles for this type thing, but there's still a little difference - depending upon the surface. I might add that my legs are definitely more agile when the temps reach 70F and above - the couple days a year that happens. Some of the agility is shorts vs layers, but some is warmer muscles.
        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Bugs

For me it was the transition from winter to spring temps that brought injury. No I did not go from TM to outside, it was just the right temps, less cloths and suddenly I can run fast and my feet were not ready for it.

Bugs

I run hard all winter, so I am pretty much in top shape when spring comes. Of course, I live in Tennessee where we dont get a lot of snow, so I can pretty much run outside every day and as many miles as I want.. I think some folks around here wait until it gets warm to get in a lot of miles and they end up hurting themselves