2011 Gardening Thread (Read 1783 times)

No frost issue.  The plants may burn a little but frost won't kill them.  No problem.

And yes, fresh potatoes are much better than store bought.  There is no comparison.

The local Agway will have the seed potatoes in when it is time to plant.  You should have no problem getting them at the right time.

I'm psyched for next year. 

Let us know in a month, how the potato beer turns out.  Top or bottom fomenting?

I used to brew my own beer too, but haven't in like 20 years.  Maybe I should take that hobby up again.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

Ale is generally top fermenting, I believe.  Anywho, since this is a very low gravity beer I think that I can turn this around in about 5 weeks.

And dude, there isn't a much easier veggie to grow than potatoes.  Simply put them in the ground early spring and wait. 

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Heh.  For the hell of it Mrs Potato Head just weighed the yukons.  30 pounds.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Hey Tech, a bunch of us 'round here brew.

Now that you have escaped from the mud, when will you be brewing?

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Everything is starting to die here, looks like another late summer drought 2nd year in a row.  Since last weekend 2 foot tall pine trees went from fine to totally brown and dead.  I'm working to try and water everything now but it's a lot and with 15 acres a lot of it requires hauling water.  As I'm doing that my grapes look to be only a week or a little more from needing harvesting.  Ugh.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Everything is starting to die here, looks like another late summer drought 2nd year in a row.  Since last weekend 2 foot tall pine trees went from fine to totally brown and dead.  I'm working to try and water everything now but it's a lot and with 15 acres a lot of it requires hauling water.  As I'm doing that my grapes look to be only a week or a little more from needing harvesting.  Ugh.

I hear you.  A month ago I was whining about all of the rain but at least I didn't have to water.  Lately I've had to water.  Digging the potatoes today was a pain in the ass because it's so dry.  If it is wet enough and I am careful, I can pull up a potato plant with the spuds intact.  Not today.  Today I had to dig.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Now that you have escaped from the mud, when will you be brewing?

Well, I still have a big load of homebrew that needs to be consumed.  During the hiatus, it really went undrunk.  I gotta do something about that.

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

I hear you.  A month ago I was whining about all of the rain but at least I didn't have to water.  Lately I've had to water.  Digging the potatoes today was a pain in the ass because it's so dry.  If it is wet enough and I am careful, I can pull up a potato plant with the spuds intact.  Not today.  Today I had to dig.

I spent nearly 4 hours last night watering...did manage to run though Big grin

Five trips with about 60gal each time in the tractor bucket for the stuff >100 yds from the house....plus bought extra hoses and soaker hoses to reach the little pine trees 200-300ft from the house.  I figure if I save 3-4 of them it pays for the hoses....and last we we lost 15 of them when this happened.

As a lucky benefit, I realized my peaches are getting ripe Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

What do sweet potatoes need to thrive.  Second year in a row our CSA has planted and lost a SP crop.  Wait, maybe they need summer to thrive in which case we should just forget it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

What do sweet potatoes need to thrive.  Second year in a row our CSA has planted and lost a SP crop.  Wait, maybe they need summer to thrive in which case we should just forget it.

I think that they prefer a good deal of sun and warm temperatures so yeah, they might be tough to grow in your area.

Not at it at all. 

Never had animals eat all my baby Japanese eggplants before. Plucked clean. And they were only babies. Bastards.

MTA: RIP 2011 garden. My entire garden is a total loss. It's not s huge garden and includes some pots but aside from the herbs and 1 jalapeno plant it is a total loss. Vermin ate everything. There is one little green cherry tomato left. I see a lot of rabbits but i suspect the squirrels or chipmunks. A total loss. In my 11 years in my house this has never happened. sigh

jules2

I think that they prefer a good deal of sun and warm temperatures so yeah, they might be tough to grow in your area.

I've tried them for a few years but not had much success, gardening is always about highs and lows this year my butternut squash looks to be the best ever even though its been really cold here at night.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.