Different training methods (Read 912 times)

OK...this is my first year running. I started the summer with the goal of just finishing a 5k and ended up running 2 of them in back to back weekends(even winning my age in one). After the second one I took a break for a week or so then just as i was getting going again got sick with mono for like 8 or 9 days. Needless to say it put a hold on everything for a bit. So i started just walking some then back to running. Now before, i was up to maybe 15 to 18 MPW but now it's like i'm starting all over. Thats when I found this site with the handy training log and friendly people to talk to. I also found different ways to train such as fartlek. Can somebody tell me when to start doing different speed training and other kinds so i can reach my goals next year.
    2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October
    Purdey

Self anointed title

It would help people to respond properly if you made your log public - that way we could see what speeds/distances you were doing. Smile btw - many congrats on your first two 5ks. My tuppence worth is not to bother too much about any formal speed training for a good while yet. Concentrate on getting a consistent weekly mileage under your belt, perhaps building up gradually to around 25mpw. You mentioned fartlek - this is probably the best introduction to speed work, just go out at your normal pace, put in some harder efforts when you feel like it and return to your normal pace to recover. Job done. Coupled with a decent steady mileage base this will do wonders for your 5k times! Good luck.

congrats on the 5ks! Woot (is that what people write now?) +1 on Purdey.
        And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
        Slo

Your Qx is so common. What are your goals for next year? What is the maximum MPW you think you could average? "Speed" training can be incorporated anytime. I don't know that there is necessarily a "right" time. The advice your most likely gonna hear is: VOLUME. Work on getting your weekly distance up. If you really want to find out what your capable of running a 5k in shoot for 50 - 60 mpw. If you want to get really close then shoot for 25 - 35 mpw. If it's less then it's less. Be as competitive as you can be for the time you have to invest. Being this new to running you'll reap the greatest benefits from running 5 -6 days/week and building your mileage as you go. Concentrate on getting a Longer distance run of at least 9 miles in once a week. (also work on increasing this distance.) 10 - 13 miles is more than sufficient I think if your only interested in strong 5k finishes. Typically, a top 5k racer would start to hone his "peak" about 12 weeks out. The last few weeks he would be adding in some fairly higher intensity workouts in. Once he reaches his "peak" he can usually maintain that fitness level for another 3 - 5 weeks. Fartleks are a great way to mix up your workouts without destroying tomorrows run. It's something you can add right now too. Simply pick up your pace for a block then slide back into a very easy jog. Experiment with different distances and paces. If you have to break into a walk after the pick-up then you are going to HARD! Just one a week for now though. Save the interval training for your target race. Running hard certainly has it's benefits but it also has it set backs. Training to run a peak performance is give and take. Running is hard on the body. We need time to recover to get stronger. If you think of it as: Do I want to earn $150 today or would I rather get $100 Monday and another $100 Thurs. Leave something in the bank so you can get two quality sessions in a week. Just my suggestion......Pick a late summer or early fall race as your target. Continue to hop in other races as they come up but just remind yourself that these races are just practice/training for your "A" race. Concentrate on reaching your maximum average MPW. SLOWLY ! Build up to it....PLEASE ! This will allow you plenty of time to find a "Run your fastest 5K plan". There are tons of them out there, although there are some on the fringe most all follow the same principles. I'm fortunate to work with some HS CC runners. I wish you could see the difference of the incoming inexperienced freshman with very little consistent training under his belt. The one that spends the entire off season working on his base year after year. you'll see him go from 21:00 to Breaking 16:00......awesome! Lastely......read everything in the FAQ thread.....some good stuff there.
          mikeymike

The bottom line is this sport is incredibly uncomplicated if you let it be. Here's the method I follow: Run a lot. Mostly easy. Sometimes fast.

Runners run

Slo

The bottom line is this sport is incredibly uncomplicated if you let it be. Here's the method I follow: Run a lot. Mostly easy. Sometimes fast.
              LOL....I think somewhere up there I said that. Mikeymike Impressive log.....Impressive times. Nice Marathon !
              mikeymike

SLO_HAND, thanks!

Runners run

thanks for the advice but where in the world do you find the time to run as far as you guys/girls do?
                  2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October
                  Slo

My training volume is about half of what it will be come this spring. I'm in bed by 9:00 and up at 4:14am and on the road by 4:45 or in the pool at 5:00am. Another workout right after i get off work.....that time can vary greatly. A long run over the weekend is almost a must. I feel like I have been slacking here lately becuase our pool has been closed for the last two weeks. So there is 3 -4 hrs / week I'm not doing right now. That time has been replaced with more time under the sheets.
                      Wow I'm really behind in this game
                      Slo

Naw....you got plenty of time. This is a life time sport! I sayt his lots.......Be as competitive as you can be for the time that you have to train. I would love to get back to 80 90 mile weeks. My life just dosen't allow that.....maybe when I'm 50, but not right now. Plus my focus is on Tri's I took about a 7 year hiatis.....when I came back I couldn't run 2 miles with out taking a walk break. In a short time I was back to 20 - 25 mpw and making decent finishes at the local 5ks. I'll top out my running somewhere around 40 -45 mpw but I'll be swimming and biking too. A total weekly training of about 12 hrs.......But I love doing this. And really, 12 hrs isn't all that difficult when you figure about 4hrs of that time happened on the weekend. So that leaves 8 hrs divided up on the 5 weekdays. If you really want to be fast though.....look at the logs of Jeff, Mikeymike, obsessor......these guys all log high mileage......thats what it takes. But like I said before.....if we could all do that then the finish chute would be jam packed.
                          Thats true...i guess i just like instant results
                          mikeymike

Yeah it's pretty boring life I lead when I'm really training well. In bed by 9:30 most nights, up at 5 and on the road by 5:30. That's if work travel doesn't screw me up. That lifestyle is actually a good thing for staying employed and being a good parent too, so there's that side benefit. Last summer I just got lucky and was able to string together about 5 months of almost unbroken 70+ mile weeks and that's what got me to a 2:49 marathon. Lifetime miles helps a lot too. As you accumulate years of training you can race pretty well year round off of "moderate" mileage and then bump it up a bit when you get the chance and make a breakthrough. I can race pretty close to most of my PR's off of about 50 mpw at this point but to give any of my PRs a real scare I have to get into the 70's, which isn't always possible.

Runners run

Thats what i'm hoping to get to but that may be a ways off first I'd like to get to 20 MPW

De-slacking in progress

Thats what i'm hoping to get to but that may be a ways off first I'd like to get to 20 MPW
                                You are 15+ years younger than me. I just started running in April 2008 and have dropped 50# in the process. I did the couch to 5K program and then made a lot of newbie mistakes like running too fast (still do that No ) and addding too many miles too fast. So after 8 months from the first time I ran 10 yards and died, I've finally reached the 25-30 MPW average. At first i had no intention of running that many MPW but since I now enjoy running, I look forward to increasing it more.It's also easier now that I don't have to do yard work for the next few months Smile Another lesson learned hard- when you hit say 20 MPW stay there for awhile. You're younger so it might not take as long but for this nearly 47 year old it takes my body about 4 weeks to get used to the new weekly average. Aches and pains until my body submits. Then increase slowly from there. Just the other day I ran 2 miles of a 4 mile run at race pace and paid for it the next day. Keep the manta as mentioned "Run a lot. Mostly easy. Sometimes fast. If nothing else it keeps injuries from happening. My min/mile rates have dropped since I'm running more miles. What was hard is easier now.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14