Is running on a treadmill acceptable for a long run? (Read 1406 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I'm not excited, not really. You use lots of exclamation points, though, so it is sometimes hard to tell when you are excited. It's all in how we read things.
    Yea I probably shouldn’t have used the exclamation there. However, I do strongly feel that 1.5 and above is not the same as flat. Sorry if my thought came across as harsh.
    xor

How do you do it without getting injured?
      Joke answer: I've got radioactive blood. The actual answer: I've been doing it a long time, I do reasonable mileage (60-85 mpw... I mention this because some folks seem to think I only run the race mileage), I don't go all-in every race, and I'm probably slower overall than I would be if I trained/raced "normally". How much slower? Dunno. There are lots of people faster than me who also do lots of races . Plus I really love it and when I get burned out, I take the time to get my mind and blood right. I also do a lot of lifting and yoga, which probably don't make me faster but do help me recover better. And it is possible that whereas God or Jobuu or whoever didn't give me natural speed, he/she/it did give me the 'quick recovery' mojo. I dunno. I also have a reasonable tolerance for discomfort and pain, learned elsewhere, which I think helps.

bhearn

Acceptable, sure... tolerable, not for me. It would have to be a lot worse conditions than you describe before I'd get on a treadmill. Cold is easy; just put on more layers.
          I personally find it pretty hard to run too much on the treadmill, but I am starting to get used to it as I have been doing many of my runs on the TM over the past two months. Last Sunday the snow was flying and the ice was everywhere...so my choice was to get my longer run on the TM or not run at all....or to reduce my run. I decided to go for 10 miles on the TM (I do have one at home), I got my 10 in....not exciting but I ran.....I also ran 7 last evening on the TM....... Its really boring and running a 20 miler on a treadmill will be a real test of your fortitude.....but as far as I'm concerned...YES you can do it (the positive are that the TM is more forgiving on the legs, you can get water really easily, you can take a bathroom break easily and you can yell at the kids without missing stride) its not all that bad... If your at a gym there might be some HOT BABE working out somewhere so the scenery might not be all that bad (if your lucky).....I'm not a huge fan of treadmills, but they have their place and under some conditions they can be great (like if not to far from you that HOT BABE is pumping iron).... Ill be so glad when March and April get here and the weather is a little more forgiving....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Why is it sideways?

Okay, here's the thing I don't get about the whole "put your treadmill at 1% or .5% or 1.5%" thing. Why not just keep it at 0 and run a little faster? What's the point of making sure that the treadmill is exactly equivalent to running over flat ground at sea level? To me that makes as much sense as doing all your runs on the track because you want to make sure that yesterday's pace is an exact equivalent to the pace you ran last November. Absurd. Is it like a puritan sort of thing: "Oh no, I might be running faster than my true capabilities! I'd better jack this thing up quick before the devil gets a-holt of me and makes me try to maintain this pace outside!"
            Scout7

If you run on a treadmill, does it count towards your PRs?
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Okay, here's the thing I don't get about the whole "put your treadmill at 1% or .5% or 1.5%" thing. Why not just keep it at 0 and run a little faster? What's the point of making sure that the treadmill is exactly equivalent to running over flat ground at sea level? To me that makes as much sense as doing all your runs on the track because you want to make sure that yesterday's pace is an exact equivalent to the pace you ran last November. Absurd. Is it like a puritan sort of thing: "Oh no, I might be running faster than my true capabilities! I'd better jack this thing up quick before the devil gets a-holt of me and makes me try to maintain this pace outside!"
                And, honestly...who doesn't want to run a little faster to get the torture over with...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

And, honestly...who doesn't want to run a little faster to get the torture over with...?
                  Seriously.
                    HA! lol. And what's with lopez thinking his arms are too high or whatever? Have you seen the Kenyan's running? I'm wondering cause as a teen I ran with my hands very low thinking it was cool or whatever, but since my rebirth I have adapted to holding my hands level or higher cause it feels to me there is less strain on the biceps. What do you think?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

rlemert

Hey, Travis - I'm with you on the running inside tomorrow. It's been a long time since I lived in the north country, and I really don't have a lot of good cold-weather running gear. I'm looking at a similar time-fram for my long run tomorrow (2:15), but I'm only going to be covering about 12 miles. I'm also probably not going to be doing the treadmill, but only because the 'Y' is use (Findley 'Y' in north Raleigh) has a 16-lap-per-mile track. I find I stay a lot cooler on the track than on the treadmill because of the relative air motion, but it's possible the constant tight turns in one direction are what's doing a number on my right ITB. I used the treadmill for all my long runs about four years ago when I was training for my one (and so far only) marathon, getting up to 23 miles but taking probably 4.5 hours (maybe more). It can get boring, but I had two things going for me. For one, I grew up on a farm, and I spent a lot of time just going back and forth across the field on a tractor getting the ground ready for planting. These weren't the big air-conditioned tractors with the built-in radio systems that you see in the midwest, either. It was just me and my thoughts for hours at a time. The other thing I had going for me was that I was running on Sundays so I could watch the NFL playoffs. N headphones, though, so I was stuck with the closed-captioning. You going to be at the 2nd Empire lunch tomorrow?
                      Scout7

I wanna know pRed's PR for elbow angle.
                          If you run on a treadmill, does it count towards your PRs?
                          only if you put it in your log as a 'race'. Evil grin ha... I mean no offence to the poster in the other thread.
                          MrH

since my rebirth I have adapted to holding my hands level or higher cause it feels to me there is less strain on the biceps. What do you think?
                            It worked for T-Rex.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I wanna know pRed's PR for elbow angle.
                              45 or less I'd say.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Scout7

45 or less I'd say.
                                Did you record that?