Is running on a treadmill acceptable for a long run? (Read 1406 times)

bhearn

bhearn In purest of sense you're completely correct to physics. Having researched treadmills and other exercise equipment for decades, the subtle variable is speed resistance. If you're walking on a treadmill at lets say for arguement at .5MPH, since you can walk faster, the belt is forcefully slowing you down. Your foot landing biomechanics will be forcefully altered. At a comfortable walking speed and with the matching belt speed as well with running, then your physics are fully correct. However once the belt surpasses your "comfort" running speed, then the belt is pulling your leg backwards faster than you can push. What changes at that speed point is that your limbs almost relax in force generation to let the belt pull your leg. With belt speed increase, the contact point on the belt allows for a further reach than on the ground. The moving belt removes the limits to overstriding.
    Sorry, but no, no, no. Please go back to Physics 101. You persist in thinking in the reference frame of the room, instead of the belt surface, which you simply cannot do to make a fair comparison to outdoor running. In the belt surface frame, of course the belt cannot push you or pull you.
      Yes please! Can I have some of that 20%? Wait a minute, how are you calculating 20%? Wouldn't that mean that if I run at 185 bpm then you could get me down to 148 in a few hours? Sorry but I don't think that is possible. At 148 I could run for atleast 4 hours. No way I could hold a 6 flat pace for 4 hours no matter what I did. I would be shocked if you could get me to go from 185 to 170 at the same speed without doubling my number of miles.
      from the link: [i]Interestingly, they apply this trick only when they are carrying things on their heads. When they walk unloaded, Dr. Heglund found, they waste as much energy as all other walkers. It is only as they begin to balance heavy loads on their heads that they change their steps. It's a tiny difference that is almost invisible to the naked eye, and "even the women don't know how they do it," Dr. Heglund said. But with a sophisticated training program, he went on, "you could train other people to do the same thing."[/i] so until you enter a marathon that requires participants to carry 50+ pounds on their heads it seems this 20% would not apply to you.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I'm using the reference of two identical sized gears spinning at identical rates... Physics says there's no difference. That's not my issue. That's the same point I reference to natural walking and running speed. So what resistance is there as in a motor when speed increases. Are you going to tell me that the clutchplate risistance isn't increased? But reality is that treadmill users are no different. At the point the belt speed surpasses your natural running speed, then your biomechanics has to adapt. It will change only to the point that you can't keep up with the belt and it will shoot you off the back of the machine.... See You Tube videos....

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Doug B The women of Kenya utilize a different perspective of balance than you do. Its physics... Understand the physics, and in any clinical watched, videod environment, the 20% decrease in heart rate is easy to do...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

bhearn

So what resistance is there as in a motor when speed increases. Are you going to tell me that the clutchplate risistance isn't increased?
            Ah... I think I see what you are getting at. But please help me along by thinking in the frame of the belt. So you're saying that unlike the ground, when you push off of the belt, you cause the belt to accelerate slightly, because there is finite clutch-plate resistance in the motor. And when you land you cause the belt to decelerate slightly. And this effect changes depending on the motor speed. OK, if that's what you're saying, then sure, I can see that that might well make a difference.
            sport jester

Biomimeticist

Ok, then a truce....... I use this example; On a treadmill, at peak running speed I can outrun a 12PMH Treadmill, through complete relaxation of my legs and letting them fly. I surely can't do that on the street (Damn.....)

And please tell me how your personal running technique and walking technique are different.
                I'll tell ya. When I run, I land on my forefoot always, but you can not do this while walking. I've tried it. You walk on your heels.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

sport jester

Biomimeticist

If you're following the forefoot running theories such as the Pose Method, "Letting gravity pull you forward" and such, then you're following a running myth. Forefoot running is a more comfortable way to run, but not a faster way to run. Sprinters run on their toes, however the most efficient distance runners are heelstrike runners. Its a much more efficient way to run.

Menace to Sobriety

Who holds onto the supports when they are running on a treadmill? That's ridiculous.
                    I do, most of the time. I went through about 6 months of chemotherapy and the meds I was given accounted for some nerve damage in my feet. For all practical purposes, my feet are numb, or nearly so, on the bottom. This doesn't seem to bother me when I'm running over the ground, even on relatively uneven surfaces, I even PRed in a 5K since completing therapy. On the treadmill, I can't go for very long, usually just a few minutes, without having to hang on for a while. I could run for hours on the TM prior to the nerve damage and never touch the rails. My theory is that the reduced sensitivity in my feet does not allow me to make the fine adjustments that are usually made automatically to the moving belt of the treadmill, and I just don't feel as steady.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

bhearn

Ok, then a truce....... I use this example; On a treadmill, at peak running speed I can outrun a 12PMH Treadmill, through complete relaxation of my legs and letting them fly. I surely can't do that on the street (Damn.....)
                      Well, here I'm afraid we're back to my earlier arguments; I think you're imagining the difference. If your example is true, then it would have to be a function of your perception of stationarity vs. motion, not an actual difference. Either that, or the treadmill is not accurately indicating pace. Try this experiment on the road: imagine that the road is moving under you, and you are standing still; all you have to do is move your legs to keep the ground from pulling you backwards. It can be a useful trick sometimes to make yourself think you aren't working as hard. But be careful, it's easy to trip up this way if there are obstacles.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Where's Tanya? We need the comet photo.
                        JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

No thanks. I have to go run a few miles at ultramarathon pace.
                          Dude, I was in a meeting or I would have responded sooner. I brought up ultra marathon pace because I thought you were basing your statements on an “ultra marathon” pace since that is what I thought you ran. I took a closer look at your many achievements and although you ran some ultras it looks like most of your insane number of races are marathons. I brought up ultra marathon pace because I believe that pace to be vastly different than even marathon pace. In the ultra marathons I have followed(I have never run one but would love to) a good pace is typically just under 10 minute miles. Unlike, sport jester I don’t believe walking or slow jogging paces are similar to running(~7:00) paces. I have trouble maintaining a 10 minute pace because it totally changes my stride. Every time I have trained at a 9-10 minute pace I have come up injured because that pace uses different muscles or uses them in different ways. That is part of the reason why I train a little faster than what is recommended and why I have never run an Ultra. 7:00 is just my natural pace. It just feels right to me. Each person is different. Hey wait a minute, didn’t I read this quote from you a few pages back? “ I restated a position up above. I probably shouldn't have come back in to do that and I will leave it alone.” All in jest man. I think even a spirited conversation is healthy. I appreciate your opinion since you have probably run more long distance races than anyone else I know. I could only dream of running 3 in 3!
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok, we get it, running on a treadmill is not exactly bio-mechanically equavalent to running on the ground. But it's close enough. To the OP -- yes, it's ok to do your long run on a treadmill. Not fun, but it won't hurt you as long as you are mindful of small changes to your gait that might occur.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

I do, most of the time. I went through about 6 months of chemotherapy and the meds I was given accounted for some nerve damage in my feet. For all practical purposes, my feet are numb, or nearly so, on the bottom.
                              ooo. HUGE tangent <tangent> How long ago was this? I lost some feeling too as well as my sense of taste. The taste came back quickly... the feeling returned after about 2 years. Though I suspect that I didn't lose as much as you are describing. Sorry. I empath you.</tangent>

sport jester

Biomimeticist

bhearn You're referencing equal speeds of two objects. And at that point physics applies. But if you're going to reference a level treadmill, then I ask how you reference the resistance differential on incline. Its sometimes referred to as the 2% rule; that 2% incline on a treadmill is equal to outdoor running resistance...