Bloody Urine (Read 943 times)

Ostrich runner

Well, it's been a long time since I've had this one. Went out for 8 miles at near race pace today, came back and peed a bunch of blood. I remember this happening a couple times ten years ago, and my coach told me to rehydrate. Is that all that is necessary?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I'm no doc, but I've been dehydrated plenty of times and never peed blood. I'd talk to a doc.
      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Jazz hands!

I think there are multiple reasons one can pee blood and none are good. To a doctor!
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There's one good reason that blood is red--it's eye-catching and gets our attention. Get yourself seen by a doctor ASAP, beef.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I'm gonna go off the board and say that you *probably* have the runner's version of hematuria because you knocked yourself about... care of which will mean simply "wait it out". Alas, there are quite a few other things that could cause it, and so you may want to visit a doc to rule those things out. If it was me and I didn't have a fever or kidney pain***, I'd probably just wait it out for a day or two. THEN if it didn't go away, I'd go see someone. BUT... that's a bit of a risk if it is something else causing it. *** Actually, I'm lying. Because of a condition I have, if I see blood from weird places, I'm on my way to the doctor immediately. But if I didn't have this, I would wait it out for a day.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Let's just say that pissing blood did not end well for a member of my extended family (my FIL). Not to freak anyone out, but he was also a runner and in phenomenal health with no other symptoms of anything amiss...at least not immediately. Sad Take it seriously. Better to be overcautious and potentially catch something before it becomes too serious.

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

http://www.time-to-run.com/doctor/bloodyurine.htm I think I'm going to wait a day. I did pee right before running, and I have no other symptoms save some mild discomfort. The other times it happened were times I knew I was dehydrated and was on very long runs/treks...this time surprised me a little, but as I think about it, I sweated inordinately yesterday and rehydrated with Laphroaig.

Dog-Love

Did you eats beets earlier in the day? OK OK go see a doc
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  nextyearcubs

I'm no doctor, but I did have a kidney stone about 3 and half years ago that had me peeing blood. It only caused mild discomfort for a few days, not the agony most people describe. The reason was that the stone was pretty big and it took a long time to work its way through the ureter. Eventually it got stuck, and blocked the flow of urine, causing extreme pain, like I was gonna explode. Three procedures later and I was good as new. The urologist said that being dehydrated can cause kidney stones. The kidneys make these crystals, but if you're hydrated you pee enough to eliminate them, but if you're dehydrated often, they can accumulate. He said it was OK to drink lots of beer because it'd help prevent the stones. That's my kind of doctor!!!

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Go see a doctor.
                      Yep, one reason women live longer than guys do is that we tend to get in to see a doc at the first sign of something that could potentially be serious. We also generally are better about routine care. I know that my hubby has not been to the doctor since BEFORE we conceived our 7.5 year old son (and only because I told him that I wasn't having a kid with him until I was reasonably certain that he'd be around until we kicked the kid out of the nest). And this is a guy who has had high triglycerides and high BP and comes from a family with a history of these sorts of issues. Pissing blood...yeah, I'd not be taking a wait-and-see and assuming that it's benign.

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

Everything seems fine today...although, I think the long run I had scheduled for today isn't happening.

I know that my hubby has not been to the doctor since BEFORE we conceived our 7.5 year old son (and only because I told him that I wasn't having a kid with him until I was reasonably certain that he'd be around until we kicked the kid out of the nest). And this is a guy who has had high triglycerides and high BP and comes from a family with a history of these sorts of issues.
                          If you won't follow anything the doc recommends anyway (diet, exercise, medications) there is no reason to go see one.....
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you won't follow anything the doc recommends anyway (diet, exercise, medications) there is no reason to go see one.....
                            The thing is, he would follow the doc's recommendations, but he's a horrible procrastinator and I think he's of the mindset that if he doesn't know something is wrong it can't hurt him.

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

Well, I sent off some stuff to get health insurance today. I need to maintain plausible deniability on any preexisting conditions.