Long Runs (Read 864 times)

XCRunner21

I was reading the forum on "what do you drink on long runs" and some of the distances/times your long runs are, are well, really long. lol But that got me thinking. When i do simple 6 mile runs I use my ipod to keep myself from getting bored. Do you guys use mp3's or ipod's while running? And that also got me thinking, if i use my ipod while i train, will i do bad in races because i won't be able to use my ipod even though i trained with it?
    Goals: 3 mile- break 16:00 2 mile- break 10:00 1 mile- break 4:45 Run my first Triathlon- done

A Saucy Wench

NOOOOOOO not the ipod thread!!! Big grin Wars have been started over less! Tongue Some do some dont. The reasons why are as numerous as the posters. I dont. Most do just fine in races without them. Races are not boring therefore you dont need to be distracted.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Races are not boring therefore you dont need to be distracted.
        Except for those really small closed-course HMs when one runs for 7 miles all alone with minimal spectator encouragement. Then they are nice for company. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I don't, but I can easily amuse myself mentally while running and there's lots of neat scenery. I also want to be able to hear bears and other runners or bikers or, if I'm along a road, traffic. I can't remember be bored enough that I wanted music on a run. Others obviously differ.
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I did for years; I was an i-pod addict. Last year I ran and trained for a late season HM and FM without the music. I hit a PR on both, and this has nothing to do with the i-pod. I do most runs without music nowadys, but if I bring an ipod along I always seem to put it on pause around 15-20 minutes in. For me it ruind the joy and peace of running, but this may change next week......who knows. What a long strange trip its been......Smile If you run with an ipod or without it really does not matter as long as you do it.

left-right-left-right-repeat

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I run without an Ipod or MP3. I like to be able to hear other runners or bikers coming up behind me on the path I run on. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Eat, Play, Run

I do most of my solitary runs with my MP3, but not races or group runs. I keep the volume relatively low and wear earbuds that allow outside noise so I can hear traffic, dogs barking, other runners/bikers coming up behind me, etc. If it happens to die mid-run (which has happened), I have no trouble continuing without it.
                Sulli42

Sometimes I use an ipod for training, sometimes I don't. It's not really a black and white issue for me, it depends on my mood at the moment. But I always keep the volume low enough that I can hear who's coming up behind me. As far a races go, I prefer to listen to my body and tune into the energy of the race. I want to be as aware, alert, and focused as possible, no ipod.

Jazz hands!

Lots of people don't. However, you can have my shiny blue iPod shuffle when you tear it from my cold dead hand Big grin I've forgotten it a few times and didn't enjoy the run nearly as much. I'd skip it if you run in traffic, but as long as you're on a path or sidewalk, keep it to the point where you can hear your feet hitting the ground and everything should be fine.
                    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                    XCRunner21

Yeah, I did ipod today when I went on a 7-miler but I was by myself. I never wear my ipod in races just like someone said because I want to listen to my body. but for the people who don't listen to music, what do you do to keep yourself from not getting bored?
                      Goals: 3 mile- break 16:00 2 mile- break 10:00 1 mile- break 4:45 Run my first Triathlon- done

Go Pre!

some days yes some days no. lately i prefer not to run with music. hey, please, next ask us if they should be allowed in races....pleaaaaaase.

Ostrich runner

I think about boobs.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

JakeKnight

I think about boobs.
                            Well played. Can I interest you in a lifelong membership in the Designated Boobie Area? I should get recruiting bonuses or something.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Ostrich runner

Interested...but all I see is a dead link.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

JakeKnight

Interested...but all I see is a dead link.
                                I find your lack of faith .... disturbing. Think about happy boobs and try again.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------