2 mile pre-season training (Read 904 times)

tpastika

I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on how i should structure my running workouts. Things like how far i should space out my harder workouts vs easier workouts, etc. Lasted year i opted for longer easier runs thinking the speed training during the season would get me to where i wanted to be running, but by the end of the season i felt that i was just starting to get going. Basically i want to come into the season fast, but i am worried about peaking at the wrong time. any tips?
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

More information will help us. When do you want to peak? What are you training for (5Ks, 10Ks, etc)? How many times per week and how many miles do you run?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

tpastika

Im training for the 2 mile for track my pr is 10:38 and i want to get it down to low 10s I want to peak around sectionals/state I run 5-7 times a week and last year i did about 45 mile weeks with the majority being easy miles Im wondering more about the hard/easy miles ratio and when i should start picking up the intensity prior to the season (the season starts in about 3 and a half months)
          the 2 mile is a tricky event...too much speed work and you can lose your endurance...not enough speedwork and you don't run fast enough. i think that training for the 2 miles is really similar to training for a 5k. you should basically run the same type of mileage you would run for cross country during the off-season, if not a little more. i imagine you want to know something about what you should do for your base. here is what i would do, or something similar at least in the weeks building up to the season. Monday: 45-60 minutes at an easy/moderate pace Tuesday: 45-60 minutes easy/moderate Wednesday: 20-30 minutes easy in the morning, in the PM, 20 minute warmup, 3-4 mile tempo (about 15 seconds per mile off of 5k pace if 3 miles), and a 10-15 minute cooldown Thursday: 40-50 minutes easy Friday: 45-60 minutes easy Saturday: Long Run. 70-90 minutes this will help you keep you used to running hard at least once a week and it will keep you in very good shape. this is something that i have done in past seasons with good success. i would start doing it now even. tempo runs year round will do wonders for you. once the season gets closer to beginning, like 4 weeks or so before, change it to two tempo runs a week, on tuesday and thursday or do a tempo run on tuesday and threshold workout on thursday (something like 1000 repeats with 90 second rest at 5k pace or 12-16 400's at 2 mile pace with 70-90 sec rest). doing something like this should set you up pretty good for the season. it shouldn't be too much speed or too little either. and it is has a good amount of aerobic work, which is really what the 3200 is all about.
          tpastika

Thx man that sounds rly good Big grin
              So you've got 16 weeks till season. 8 weeks prior: Build strength: up to 60 min per day for 6 days, EASY, one at 90. 1 day Hill repeats, not all out. 1 day fartlek or strides (8 x :20 @ mile pace). Plus, core strengthening 2-3 days per week. Your main question is when to start intensity/how much: I say 8 weeks out. Speed every third day. Basically, that's 2 workouts per week: 1) Tempo - 20 min at :30 + goal 2 mile pace 2) Repeats for the first 4 weeks: Mix it up - 200's -800's, straight sets, cut downs, ladders, it doesn't matter. Just run faster than goal pace with "FULL" recoveries to improve economy. 3) Last 4 weeks: Intervals - 600 - 1600, with decreasing recoveries (2 min down to :30) over the weeks @ just below goal pace.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka