The mid-week medium long run (Read 2996 times)

Intentionally Blank

I'm going to run my 4th marathon in November.  Hoping to qualify for Boston (3:45).  I've decided to give Pfitzinger a try, the 18/70 program.  I don't expect I'll actually get all the way up to 70 mpw.  My last marathon, I think I peaked at 55 miles, and would like to go a little beyond that this time.

Anyway, as I am looking at Pfitzinger's schedules, I see alot of mid-week medium long runs of 12-15 miles.  I am not fast enough to be able to do this quickly, so I know there will be a few weeks where I don't have the time to fit these in.  (For example, the nursery at the Y has a 2 hour limit, so if I have my son, I can only run for two hours, which for me is only good for 12-13 miles if I'm not pushing the pace).

If I can't do the mid-week medium long run, does that defeat alot of what the program is meant to do?  If I'm supposed to run 15 miles, and only run 9, do I try to spread the other miles out to the shorter days?  Is week that includes a 5 mile run, a 14 mile run, and another 5 better than a week that includes three 8 mile runs?

The mid-week medium long run is pretty critical to Pfitz training plans.  On the other hand I don't think a run of 2+ hours fits into the category of a medium long run, so the 2 hour limit shouldn't be a major issue.  I think if you can consistently get between 90 and 120 minutes in a mid-week run, you're in good shape.  The other thing is that midweek mid-long run is not supposed to be a jog, so don't be afraid to pick up the pace a bit, especially in the last 1/4 to 1/2 of it.

I wouldn't try to "spread out" the miles over the other days.  Don't get too fixated on the number of miles--the overall plan has to fit into your life and every day has a purpose.  If you add 2 extra miles to a recovery run it (guess what) slows your recovery.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

While the plan gives workouts in miles, you also have to take the pace at which you do them into account.  If I followed that plan I'd be doing the 14-miler in about 1:30.  If you're taking well over 2 hrs, is it really the same workout for the two of us?  No. 

I see no problem with capping yourself at 2 hrs for that run.  The time-on-feet will accomplish a lot of what you're supposed to get from that.  Like Mikey said, that run is supposed to have some quality in it too.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Intentionally Blank

Quality in what way?  Marathon pace in the last 1/4 to 1/2?

Intentionally Blank

Oh, and thank you, by the way.
            L Train

Quality in what way?  Marathon pace in the last 1/4 to 1/2?

Maybe Pfitz is more specific about this, but I think the fun thing about quality is that it can be a variety of things.  Longer track intervals, hills, MP runs, tempo runs.  I interpret it to mean that on that day, I'm trying to run faster for a portion of the run than I normally do.  Not knowing what I'm doing, I just rotate through different things and that works mentally for me. 

SMART Approach

I am with Mikey on this. You can get by with less time if you build quality miles within this mid week longer run. It could mean a faster finish like Mikey said or in middle mix in some half marathon or marathon paced miles along with some quick striders to make an excellent conditioning effect work out. Build up to it depending on your miles and fitness level now.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

JimR

1:45-2:00 for that mid long is plenty.  Even if you find yourself strapped for time and can only get in something like 80-90 minutes, that'll still work...don't compensate by adding miles elsewhere cuz that just starts getting messy. Anything less than that, you're better to move it by a day if possible.
                  L Train

If you add 2 extra miles to a recovery run it (guess what) slows your recovery.

I know the bulk of this post was regarding not rearranging the miles, but is this really your opinion?  For instance, I ran 4 super easy recovery miles this AM and was planning 4 more this afternoon/evening.  I would have done all 8 together but schedule didn't alIow.  I didn't even really consider the possibility that I was slowing my recovery as long as kept it easy.  If that's true I'm better of bagging the second half and having a beer instead.  

I know the bulk of this post was regarding not rearranging the miles, but is this really your opinion?  For instance, I ran 4 super easy recovery miles this AM and was planning 4 more this afternoon/evening.  I would have done all 8 together but schedule didn't alIow.  I didn't even really consider the possibility that I was slowing my recovery as long as kept it easy.  If that's true I'm better of bagging the second half and having a beer instead.  

It depends.  And sometimes you don't really care if you slow your recovery.  Mostly I was talking about you can't get the same benefit by robbing miles from one run and moving them to another.

Runners run

xor

Ah, robbing Peter to pay Paul.  I used to think this was a bible reference.

Then I saw Goodfellas.

(explanation: there's a "not quite sure it's a joke" thing in Goodfellas where all the boys are named Peter or Paul.)

((I would be named Petey))

The King of Beasts

Anyway, as I am looking at Pfitzinger's schedules, I see alot of mid-week medium long runs of 12-15 miles.  I am not fast enough to be able to do this quickly, so I know there will be a few weeks where I don't have the time to fit these in.  (For example, the nursery at the Y has a 2 hour limit, so if I have my son, I can only run for two hours, which for me is only good for 12-13 miles if I'm not pushing the pace).

do the two hour run, if you feel frisky add the other miles in after a few weeks of settling in to the new program.

(does the 18/70 plan mean you do 18 mile long runs with 70 miles a week??)

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

xor

No, 18/70 means the plan is 18 weeks long and peaks around 70 mpw.

The King of Beasts

No, 18/70 means the plan is 18 weeks long and peaks around 70 mpw.

oh, cool, thanks.

18 weeks is a long time to stay focused.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

A Saucy Wench

oh, cool, thanks.

18 weeks is a long time to stay focused.

yeah, but the first 4-6 weeks are basebuilding, not a lot of focus needed I dont think.  As long as the first weeks arent too far above where you already are.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7