3 Hour Long Run - How Often (Read 2921 times)

Not sure who any of these people are, but as far as coaches go, the greats in running history are Galloway, Bingham, Higdon and whoever it was that wrote that "Run Less; Run Faster" book. 

You have to be kidding!  The Penguin as a "great in running history"!   Don't think so, but Waddle On, friends.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Why is it sideways?

You have to be kidding! 

Indeed, he does.

C-R

Not sure who any of these people are, but as far as coaches go, the greats in running history are Galloway, Bingham, Higdon and whoever it was that wrote that "Run Less; Run Faster" book. 

-10 for subpar trolling. Now turn in your troll badge at the exit. I did snerk.

<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" />

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

If it makes you feel good, do it often.

i sacrificed the gift

-10 for subpar trolling. Now turn in your troll badge at the exit. I did snerk.

Nah not trolling, just opportunity.  I come from the adequacy.org school of trolling; I put much more effort into it than that.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
            Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
            Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Talk about fate. I've been following this thread since I posted early on, and haven't answered Jeff's question yet. Then tonight I read The Penguin's column in response to a letter from a different 63 yo Bob - who has been running for years, which I certainly haven't. The Penguin's response was "you’ve discovered the real secret about running: No one knows what’s best for you except you. And, at age 63, you’ve earned the right to do things your own way"

That's the jist of what how I was going to respond to Jeff's question about why I felt it was a necessity for me to run 3hrs in order to run my first hm.

Basically, I concluded that running is really an individual sport where each person needs to know what works for them, and as many have said, have to learn to listen to your body. I do not want to give up running, it took me 61 years to find it (July 08) and the only way I can do that is to study, test, listen to my body, and use what works for me. So I ran for 3hrs in training in order to learn how to run 3hrs in an hm. That was my stretch goal, and I needed to know what it was like to be on my feet that long and what it would take - even at a slow training pace - before I put my $ down to register for a race. It was a great experience and I learned a lot - about what works and doesn't work for me - and that is really the bottom line for all of us isn't it.

This has been a great thread and I'm sure I will be applying what has been said here as I progress with running - but only after digesting, adapting and adjusting it to what works for me.

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Why is it sideways?

The Penguin's response was "you’ve discovered the real secret about running: No one knows what’s best for you except you. And, at age 63, you’ve earned the right to do things your own way"

I agree with this, especially with the idea that you can do things your own way (though this doesn't seem to be a "right" that is earned, but whatever.)

I would only add that even you do not know what's best for you. Which is why it's good to share ideas, to try to see things from a different perspective, and also to drop words like "necessary" when it comes to training.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I would only add that even you do not know what's best for you. Which is why it's good to share ideas, to try to see things from a different perspective, and also to drop words like "necessary" when it comes to training.

I agree Jeff, which is why I like sharing ideas, even tho it drives my DW crazy with my "obsession". Will take care not to use words like "necessary" in this context.

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Bobev, I'd still try to convince her that running itself is necessary for your happiness. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

To the original question - never.  However I must qualify that.  For me, I have gone sub 3 hour in the last 3 open marathon I've done.  To me, a quality run (12 easy, 12 a mp) is enough.  That take about 2:30 to 2:45.  Craig Alexander (2x Ironman World Campion) rarely runs 2.5 hours.  However, he does an IM run split in the 2:50 range.  I think doing a long run  in the 85% to 90% of the time you think it will take you to do a marathon will provide you with all the fitness and confidence required of a training run.

A person fixing to run a 4 hour marathon may be well suited to at least one three hour run if for no other reason that to feel what it is like to be on your feet running for that time. 

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Holy shit.  It's like you guys (as my imaginary friends) know me.  I call my wife my O.O.O. (outside objective observer).  She is a great athlete blessed with no hint of OCD.  "Do you really need to blow off work for that 10 mile run after you aleady swam and biked today?"  Yes, because I wrote it down several months ago thereby making it "necessary."

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

12 easy, 12 a mp

This is the crux of the conflict between the fast and the slow.  If we are measuring by distance, for many, this is a 3-4 hour run.  If we are measuring by time, this would be equivalent to a 15 mile run for them.  So is time on your feet or distance on your feet more important?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So is the main drawback to a 3hr run, the recovery required?

So if you're a freak who considers 3 hours a medium run,then presumably you don't have a recovery problem...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I just dropped out of my most recent marathon attempt.

Sorry to hear that.  Me too.  I was planning on running the Phoenix Marathon.  Just pulled out.  Obturato Internus bursitus.  WTF?  Too much after a long season.  Good luck on your recovery.  The patience that's require of not running is more difficult than getting up for a hard temo run, in my opinion.

xor

I finished my most recent marathon attempt, though I did run longer than 3 hours.

I got lost during the 3 hour tour because of a storm and wound up on some strange island with hot chicks, headhunters, and The Mosquitos.