How to run a "non-goal" race (Read 711 times)

My spring goal race is a HM on May 31st. Today I signed up for a half marathon which is run next Saturday. I have been going back and forth in my mind for a few days now on how I'm going to run this "non-goal" race. 1. Just run it as a long run by adding 3 to 5 miles to the beginning and/or end as I have been is base building mode for the last 8 weeks. 2. Run 5 miles of it as a tempo run 3. Race is at 90% (i.e.- don't race it, run it hard) 4. Race it to see where my fitness is Which do you feel will provide me the most benefit for my May 31st HM (13 weeks later)? Thanks.

an amazing likeness

I'm not a big-time racer like some of the folks here, so I'm sure you'll get different responses from them. But for me, I would set a pace goal that is in between easy and my goal for the May race, and focus this race on running that pace with even splits. Use this event as more than a long run to get a feel for the pace over the 13.1, but not so hard to need a recovery period.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

That's an interesting question. It might depend on how competitive you are. I have a hard time not running hard in races. I would personally choose option #3 because you can get a pretty good idea of where your fitness is, but it won't take you as long to recover as running it all out. I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions, but maybe the best idea is to show up on race day and see how you feel.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

mikeymike

I'd race it all out. Pretty much the only difference between a goal race and a non-goal race is how you approach the days leading up to it. For a goal race you taper intensity and possibly mileage, for a non-goal race you train through.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Three months is a long time, so I would be inclined to race it as well. For reference, I'm running a half in early May. I am running a 10 miler as a tuneup 4 weeks prior to that, and plan on racing that one. Other than what Mikey said, I might start out a bit more conservative than I would for the goal race since in theory I should be more fit (or at least race ready) than I would at the time of the goal race. I guess that keeps in line with training at your fitness level rather than the goal level.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd race it all out. Pretty much the only difference between a goal race and a non-goal race is how you approach the days leading up to it. For a goal race you taper intensity and possibly mileage, for a non-goal race you train through.
              +1 Plus, 3 months is an order of magnitude more than enough time to recover in time for your goal race.
              mikeymike

I'd race it all out if it were 3 weeks.

Runners run

4. Race it to see where my fitness is
                  +1

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

bhearn

I'd race it all out if it were 3 weeks.
                    Me too. I agree, race it all out, but don't taper (much).
                    xor

What bhearn said.

+2 A "tune up" race while training is in itself an excellent training tool. I am not a fan of not racing a race. I am a fan of racing about once a month while training (especially 10k's) to calibrate current fitness, which can be used to adjust training paces
                          Good. I think deep down this is the answer I was looking for and all seem to be in agreement. I've never not raced a race and I'm not sure I would be able too. I think by mile 5 I would be getting pissed if people passed me and began to hammer. I might as well just do that for the full 13.1.
                            Man, your mileage and training justifies racing, not running for fun.........GO FOR IT... (if you were running 20 MPW and had 7 or 8 mile long run, then i might say, go slow and enjoy the scenery) but according to your log, It seems to me that you are ready to go...so GO.... You have plenty of time to recover and do it again in May.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

bhearn

Good. I think deep down this is the answer I was looking for and all seem to be in agreement. I've never not raced a race and I'm not sure I would be able too.
                              I will say that it's different if you're talking about marathons, or maybe anything much longer than a half. Then you are talking serious recovery time to be at full fitness if you race all out. It felt weird the first few times I ran marathons as training runs, but I've gotten used to it, and now I quite enjoy it.

...---...

+2

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12