Muskegon State Park - Lake Effect Trail 5k - - 1st in AG! (Read 676 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(out of 1...heh. Blush) Mike/PoQ ran the 10k last year and has been bugging me ALL year to do this (I wussed-out last year from all the feet of snow and cold). I'm glad he talked me into it. The RD for this race always does really great quality events. 4/6 women, 8th out of 11 overall. I actually ended up running an extra .15...was following a couple and assuming they knew where they were going--oops. After a short way we realized that we weren't seeing the blue course marker flags, so had to back-track a short bit. My gender placement wouldn't have changed, as I was still quite a ways behind the 3rd place overall female. Fantastic race...yummy beer (thanks to Old Boys' Brewhouse--they hold my very favorite HM every Sept. Swag includes a coupon for 20% off entire meal bill and a free XC ski session...also a nice embroidered fleece headband, instead of another cheesy cotton T), soup, muffins, and chips at the finish. Most people chose to do the snowshoe 5k or 10k, but our recent warm-temps had left the snow really flat and packed. I don't think snowshoes would have been any advantage under the circumstances. I wore my trail shoes and wish I had thrown the Yaktrax on, as they would have been useful during only a couple of stretches, but most of the course had good, sticky/gritty snow. Going up and down a couple of big hills had me sliding around...flat areas were perfectly fine, traction-wise. On the down side of the big hill I mostly slid on my ass after falling twice. It was slick from XC skiers snowplowing down (definitely not a hill I would even attempt on XC skis. There are some badass skiers in this area) and then the warmer temps melting and refreezing overnight. I had held off a snowshoer just behind me until this point--just past the half-way mark. Rats. Bonus: PoQ and his buddy...who I shall call "the other Mike," came over from the other side of the state to run (they placed 1 and 2 out of 2 in the guys' 35-39 AG...but didn't stick around. Doofuses/doofi didn't get their medals -- Q, contact the RD, he's a good guy and I'll bet he'll mail you your awards). And Heather73 and 2 of her kids were our personal cheering section. WAY fun race. I can't wait to do it again next year (and not get lost). I hope they can attract more runners...it was a nice race, but hard to feel very competitive with such a small field. So if you are within a reasonable drive of Muskegon, MI you should join us next year! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Great job Zoom. Sounds like a fun and challenging race with the snow. I've never had the pleasure or pain of running on snow. One day...
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, Bonnie! You should plan for a destination race to a snowy locale sometime! Big grin This was my first trail race on snow. I think I have only doing one other trail run on snow (same park)...late last Fall. That was tougher in some ways. That snow was deeper and stickier, so it made footing a lot more difficult. Today's conditions were about the best we could ask for this time of the year.

~ Sarah Kay

Ojo

Sounds like fun! Congrats!

Sara

MM #2929

#1 in AG is #1! Take it! Great report, sounds like a fun race! Love the headband swag too!

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Zoom-Zoom you rock. Those that live in this frozen tundra certainly know how tough this is. See you in Michigander land.
              March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)
                There's nothing you can do about scaring your competition away, word must have gotten out. Gotta love a race with swag other than a Tshirt, especially when it's appropriate for the season. And Jake's first race rules only say you can't wear the Tshirt, there's no prohibition on wearing the race headband during the race.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And Jake's first race rules only say you can't wear the Tshirt, there's no prohibition on wearing the race headband during the race.
                  This is true. I didn't wear the headband, as I already had a favorite hat on, but lots of people did wear them. Nice headband.

~ Sarah Kay

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Hey, nice job woman! It takes some serious 'um somethings, to get out there and race in the snow. You deserve the first place AG.
                    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

Jazz hands!

Sweet, now you can race in headbandy style! And yeah, #1 in AG is #1 in AG. When you're bragging there's no need to mention the size of the field.
                      run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                      xor

headbands! Did everyone look very 1975 in them? An 11 person race. That's my kind of race. No falls? No yard sales?

Misinformation Officer

I loooove small, local races! WTG on the age group award, too. I've got my AG award where I DFL'd and the age group award where I was 5th from last, and both were PR's! It's a testament to getting out there instead of staying home eating ice cream! Smile
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

headbands! Did everyone look very 1975 in them? An 11 person race. That's my kind of race. No falls? No yard sales?
                            On the down side of the big hill I mostly slid on my ass after falling twice.
                            Ha, I had my first and second falls ever in a race within a span of about 10 seconds. Heck, those were my 2nd and 3rd falls ever while running. Big grin Funny thing...I told my MIL my time (39:14, IIRC) and she was sort of shocked and appalled by how slow it was and that I walked up the big hill (ask Q about this hill...no one could physically "run" it, at least not for the entire distance)...but this is the same woman who was always placing in road 5ks and never once ran a trail race, much less one in snow and ice. Those who have never ventured off-road really don't realize what a different beast trail running is. Those admirable road times can go right out the window for most of us. Had I not gotten off-course my time would still have been 10 minutes slower than my road 5k PR.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I loooove small, local races! WTG on the age group award, too. I've got my AG award where I DFL'd and the age group award where I was 5th from last, and both were PR's! It's a testament to getting out there instead of staying home eating ice cream! Smile
                              Ice cream...heck, there was good soup and beer at the finish. I wouldn't have had such a good lunch had I stayed home. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

CaliforniaGirl

Lordy girl...snow! Congratulations, awesome job!

The mind is everything. What you think you become. ~Buddha