What supplements do you take? (Read 306 times)

Feeling the growl again

Food....beer...wine...some occasional B vitamins...and iron, because of a history of low ferretin...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

some call me Tim

I've tried a number of things over the years. I'm currently testing magnesium supplementation, which the jury's out on. Other than that and a multi, the only thing that's stuck is fish oil. I know for sure that  a gram of omega 3s per day made a huge difference in my cholesterol numbers which got my doc off my back, but additionally it's become easier to manage my weight and not have to eat super clean. This only works for me with moderate mileage (45+/wk) *and* the omega 3s. Remove either and it's like Keyser Soze. It's a correlation I'm comfortable with.

And that 3:1 carb: protein recovery meal asap after a big effort makes a huge difference in, you know, being able to run the next day. Less downtime. And anything that speeds recovery (including not overcooking the workouts in the first place) is where it's at. Anything that lets you pile on the miles is a winner.

Mmmmm...beer

I take a multi (when I remember), and drink lots of beer, that's about it.

Actually, the only supplement I take regularly are protein shakes before bed (Isopure whey isolate) whenever I have a long run or quality workout.  Everything else I get from food and beer.  Did I mention beer?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

ledfortr

I added magnesium and Vitamin D to my regime.

This is a crap ton of stuff, I know.... but I will be off most of it in 26 days.  I'm doing whatever I can to increase my success for the marathon.

Thank you all that gave some feedback.

This is a crap ton of stuff, I know.... but I will be off most of it in 26 days.  I'm doing whatever I can to increase my success for the marathon.

No offense, but taking all that stuff will probably do zilch to "increase your success for the marathon."

Capt Awesome

Protein after a run or visit to the gym, C4 Preworkout before lifting, and a multivitamin in the morning when I remember.

SMART Approach

Any Magnesium other than Oxide is best for absorption. Citrate and Oxide forms have a bit more laxative effect but not for everyone. I take cheated form of Magnesium and Magnesium Malate.

Thank you all that gave some feedback.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

ledfortr

Do you use c4 prior to run or is that just before lifting?

Protein after a run or visit to the gym, C4 Preworkout before lifting, and a multivitamin in the morning when I remember.

rlopez

Those of you drinking multiple protein shakes a day... particularly if you add a little extra to it, like many Americans do... are really just making very expensive and funky smelling pee.

I take a multivitamin, even though the research says they don't do anything because I always have.
                    I take fish and flax oil because I was told to do that.

I have supplemented with whey in the recent past because chemo.

I augment with iron when my blood tests show that I should. And I don't when they do not. Because excessive iron is bad.

I eat lots. Mostly plants. Sometimes eggs.

pedaling fool

I don't want to get too preachy here, but I think in the vast majority of cases vitamin supplements are a waste of money at the least and at worst maybe detrimental to your health -- too much of anything is a bad thing.

See if your local library has this book, if so I highly recommend it   http://www.amazon.com/Vitamania-Obsessive-Quest-Nutritional-Perfection/dp/1594205043

And here's a preview in this article: http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2015/09/the_biggest_myth_about_vitamins.html

HelgaDeleon

What you shared is nice one for health.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Advil is a supplement, right?

Kidding.  Mostly.

Leah, mother of dogs

Prince of Fatness

Beer

Not at it at all. 

DavePNW

Beer

Beer is not a supplement, it's a staple.

Dave