Annoying, but... whatever (Read 1558 times)

I had a similar conversation with someone a while back. They did a local 10k race over the weekend, he said he was cruising along and it wasn't a fast pace. He claimed to do the race in about 36 mins. He kept playing it down saying it wasn't fast, he used to row in college and used to run a lot. I looked up his results, he did run it in 36 mins, but the race was a 5k.
    Maybe he misspoke about the distance?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My baby brother (tall, relatively thin) told me a year ago that he was running 3 miles/run on a regular basis and could run a 7:15 pace/mile. I assumed that he was running his 3 miler easy runs at this pace and wondered where he got that speed from, since we're the only 2 runners ever in the history of our family (unless you count our Viking ancestors, but mostly I think they ran just fast enough to whack people with swords and axes and stuff...and light things on fire before drinking mead). Turns out his 7:15 pace was per mile...for a single mile...all out. I did a couple of 5 milers with him and kicked his skinny butt...he can run faster, but I can outrun him for distance. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I run for Fried Chicken!

He was very insistent that it was a 10k. He's also one to quite frequently embellish his stories. I take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Running Dad

Being that you consistently run people will always try to one up you thinking you just don't have the time or feel like messing with to challenge the person. I wouldn't worry about it, at least you have co-workers that will talk to about something like that. I work in the EMS field and my co's are always telling me that I do to much, that I'm to skinny blah blah blah. That's what gets old. Kinda funny considering I'm probably the only one that could knock out a mile or 5 if needed out of all my fellow employees. In summation, Wink Don't let the man bring you down.
          Things to do this year:
          Not get an injury
          Things done this year:
          Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
            Some people do just seem to run faster even with NO training. My husband is like this and it bugs the #$%@## out of me. I run more consistently than he does but when it comes to races he takes part just for fun. In July we both did a 1/2 marathon. Him with NO and I mean NO training and he did it in 2:01:15. I know I am slow but that is pretty quick consider the last time he ran was in February. Then on Saturday we did a 10km and he did it in 48 minutes. This is just so NOT fair.
              i hear you, pamiejane. a bunch of the guys on our xc team just laugh at me or think i'm crazy for running year-round. the only running they do is during the xc season, and yet i still find myself in the middle of the pack, fighting to get a spot on varsity! if only i could make a huge improvement one year and kick their butts and then i could laugh and say they should've trained during the summer too Big grin but it's not gonna happen...
              JakeKnight

Life's too short, dude.
                Yup. Why even care what some other guy does? What's the point?
                Some people do just seem to run faster even with NO training.
                And if you're going to care, there's the obvious danger in assuming the guy is talking nonsense. There are plenty of people with a little natural talent who can just plain run fast. I've been doing monthly 2-mile races with a guy like that. He has enormous natural talent, but doesn't train at all. He did used to train; he ran cross country in high school, a decade ago. But now he does not run. Period. Doesn't have the right shoes, doesn't even know much about it. But he's a natural. A perfect runner's body, natural leg speed. He always beats me. But I figured since I'm training and he isn't, I have to catch up, right? The last time around, I did 13:20 or so and he ran 12:40 or so. It was a bad month for me, but I got in 100 miles; he trained not at all. Not one step. So at the starting line, I thought I'd have a chance. But as we stood there, he says: "I think I'm going to try a little harder today." Yup. I hung for the first half mile. While he chatted and I wheezed. Then he just ... went. It was beautiful to watch, it really was. Great stride on this guy, amazing natural ability. He ran 11:55. Zero training. I'd be careful assuming somebody is slow.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yeh. But then you are slow. Tongue (emoticons allowed in here?)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

More likely either a moron or a liar. Difficult to say -- math is hard.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

Yeh. But then you are slow.
                      Yes. This is true. But that doesn't change the fact that the dude can string together sub-6 miles easily, on zero training. But emoticons are still lame. Dead

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'd be careful assuming somebody is slow.
                        That is a good point. There's an old story at my high school about one of our school's "legendary" runners (14:55 3-mile PR, 4:20 mile, sub 2:00 half). Apparently, freshman year somehow or another (I forget the details), someone challenged him to a race and untrained, never-ran-track-dude, blasted out a 5:19 mile. In jeans. However, I've found that the vast majority of the time, running claims that sound like BS (either out of naivete' or deception) usually are BS. Like a guy I worked with who told me he ran a 4:30 mile on the track. After my jaw hit the floor said to me, "A mile is three laps, right?"

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mishka-old log

i hear you, pamiejane. a bunch of the guys on our xc team just laugh at me or think i'm crazy for running year-round. the only running they do is during the xc season, and yet i still find myself in the middle of the pack, fighting to get a spot on varsity! if only i could make a huge improvement one year and kick their butts and then i could laugh and say they should've trained during the summer too Big grin but it's not gonna happen...
                          No, it probably isn't going to happen...in one year. But you are doing it right. Stick with it. Enjoy it now. Take those PRs as they come. But make some long-term goals. Do you really like running? Make some really long-term goals. Maybe when you're 35 you'll be the guy running marathons in 2:40 and laughing at them walking out of the carry out with a beer gut and a handful of Slim Jims.

A Saucy Wench

However, I've found that the vast majority of the time, running claims that sound like BS (either out of naivete' or deception) usually are BS. Like a guy I worked with who told me he ran a 4:30 mile on the track. After my jaw hit the floor said to me, "A mile is three laps, right?"
                            Hah.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

. Like a guy I worked with who told me he ran a 4:30 mile on the track.
                              This brings to mind a conversation I had with a sort of middle-aged, flabby dude a few months ago who, when he found out I was a runner, told me that the first time he ever ran a 5k he ran 4:05 for the first mile. I casually mentioned that not even world-class athletes run 5ks at that pace, but he wouldn't back down and got a little huffy. So, I asked him what his time was for the whole 5k and he said "About 27 minutes. I guess I spent all my energy in that first mile." He was entirely serious. <-------------- i had to restrain myself from responding like my avatar. i="" had="" to="" restrain="" myself="" from="" responding="" like="" my="" avatar.=""></-------------- i had to restrain myself from responding like my avatar. >

A Saucy Wench

Now for another side of the coin. I used to work with a pretty serious runner dude. But not the type of guy who wanted to encourage other people to run. I had just started running and was getting out there probably 3 miles 4 days a week and he asked what I was running and I said "about 10 minute miles" and he snorted and said "that's not running, thats jogging, why bother" Yeah. I beat him in my half marathon this summer. Evil grin Revenge is sweet even if it is 10 years cold. OK OK, he is a good bit older than me and has slowed. Which actually makes it still sweet in that whole "pride goeth before a fall" way.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7