Annoying, but... whatever (Read 1558 times)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Maybe there is something in the air this week? I was just asked by a beer-gut carrying co-work if I was enjoying my new GPS trainer and I said that I sure was. It was fun to do a 5 mile tempo run and watch my pace drop to 7:13 for couple of miles and then hold it. He responded with, "that's not bad for woman your age..." I just smiled. I think the right thing to do is just encourage other people in your office to be active. No matter what their tales of glory are and what the reality is.
    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
    obsessor

Is it possible that it's true? I meet these naturally talented people pretty often. If I could only get them to work! Anyhow, I have a freind, fairly athletic, involved in various fun sports and ultimate frisbee and so on. About 5'-11, 30 years old, 150 lbs... So, on a whim, went out and ran a marathon. 4 hours. (3:51) Said it was horrible. walked/ran after mile 10. After he signed up, went for a 5 mile run, then a ten mile run. That was his training. Next marathon, (chicago 2004?) He puts in maybe 10 runs. Figures he should train up to 13 this time. Runs a 3:32. Next marathon, talks to me. Wants to run faster. Has 6 months. I talk to him, try to get him to commit to run 3-4 times a week minimum. He runs 1 or 2 times a week. (maximum). Not counting the six weeks he decided to take off. But he put long runs, including a 27 miler just for good measure. 3:02. He lost the chance to go under 3 hours just in the last 2 miles. Really close to that. Very few problems. So he talks to me again. He's really excitied. He says he really, really, really will be dedicated and wants to run a 2:30 marathon. He thinks he can. Hell, I can, and if I can do it, I KNOW he can do it, based on how damn much I had to run to break a single mile at 7:00. So I tell him he can, but it won't be free. The price is he'll have to run. Most days, building slowly to every day, and it might take a year of training. But that I think he could do it on fairly low volume, and it would likely be less than 80 miles per week. He thought I was kidding. Then he figured I was just being (spiteful? difficult? angry? cruel?) mean spirited. He has not talked to me much since then. He ran a 3:05 the year after that, 2006, off no training that I know of.
      JakeKnight

Is it possible that it's true? I meet these naturally talented people pretty often. If I could only get them to work! ..... He ran a 3:05 the year after that, 2006, off no training that I know of.
        Wow. Just wow. A crying shame he doesn't really use that talent. Or let me borrow it.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

I can hold my breath under water for 4 minutes- just not consecutive minutes!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Id just say "thats nice" and go on about your business.......cause it doesnt matter and they dont understand..... Im sure you have to much to do to worry about someone that doesnt have a clue to begin with..... I have made a habit of only talking to runners or people in RA about such things...cause everyone else just doesnt understand......

Champions are made when no one is watching

kcam

Id just say "thats nice" and go on about your business.......cause it doesnt matter and they dont understand..... Im sure you have to much to do to worry about someone that doesnt have a clue to begin with..... I have made a habit of only talking to runners or people in RA about such things...cause everyone else just doesnt understand......
              Exactly. I don't discuss any training or times or races or anything to do with running with anyone but dedicated runners. Actually my wife, after all these long years, does understand so I do discuss my training with her though she has never run a single step since I've known her. Anyone else I just smile and give the shortest, non-performance related answers I can. It's a running thing - you wouldn't understand.
              AroundTheHorn

I use to be one of those "clueless" ones. I remember when I first started running I would run at a local park and would guestimate how far i was running/how fast. I came to the lofty conclusion that I was running 7 minute miles Wink. Well, I did a training session with a friend of mine and it turned out I was only running 10 minute miles! Shocked Doh!
                Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.

Feeling the growl again

Try actually running marathons at 5:40ish/mile and having people doubt that you know what you are talking about because they don't think people can run them that fast Angry My wife still calls me about once a month and puts me on the phone with some coworker/acquaintance who is telling her she is full of it about my (former) times.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Right on Hereford...

There's no way he's running a "comfortable" 6 minute pace over 3 miles with no training. To the OP: Your friend at work is just trying to be honest and humble at the same time, but he's finding it difficult because he used to run a 15:00 5k and he doesn't really want to brag about it. He knows you don't have anything close to his talent, but he doesn't want to make you feel bad about it, since you run a lot more than he does.
                    obsessor

Wow. Just wow. A crying shame he doesn't really use that talent. Or let me borrow it.
                      Tell me about it. And his form doesn't even look good. However, it is obvious the physical talent must be matched with the mental fortitude for superior results. And... "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing." -Abraham Lincoln
                      obsessor

I use to be one of those "clueless" ones. I remember when I first started running I would run at a local park and would guestimate how far i was running/how fast. I came to the lofty conclusion that I was running 7 minute miles Wink. Well, I did a training session with a friend of mine and it turned out I was only running 10 minute miles! Shocked Doh!
                        My first real run as an adult was 45 minutes. I thought it was four miles. It was 3.8. I biked to work and lifted weights at the time, but that's not running-shape.

#artbydmcbride

I can hold my breath under water for 4 minutes- just not consecutive minutes!
                          Big grin swoon!

Runners run

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Your friend at work is just trying to be honest and humble at the same time, but he's finding it difficult because he used to run a 15:00 5k and he doesn't really want to brag about it. He knows you don't have anything close to his talent, but he doesn't want to make you feel bad about it, since you run a lot more than he does.
                            That was my guess too. Especially if he's 23 years old. If he was a top runner in high school, he could probably have taken the last five years off and still be able to crank out an 18:00. Or he could be full of BS. Only one way to find out.
                            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                            Go Daddy

So, one day in the future... after you've completed a long run... you get dressed up and go to the Church... and as part of your eulogy to your fallen co-worker you mention that... "for a guy that didn't exercise, he sure could flat out run". Big Picture.
                                So, one day in the future... after you've completed a long run... you get dressed up and go to the Church... and as part of your eulogy to your fallen co-worker you mention that... "for a guy that didn't exercise, he sure could flat out run". Big Picture.
                                Well said.