Tebow... (Read 1233 times)

L Train

I'm not a Tebow fan but the Jags are dumbasses for not going after him harder.  They would go from TV blackouts to filling the stadium for every home game in the blink of an eye.  Plus the business for merchants and sportbars, etc.  Dumbasses.

Prince of Fatness

I'm not a Tebow fan but the Jags are dumbasses for not going after him harder.  They would go from TV blackouts to filling the stadium for every home game in the blink of an eye.  Plus the business for merchants and sportbars, etc.  Dumbasses.

They are not a good team.  He is not a good quarterback.  They would lose a lot of games.  The novelty would quickly wear off.

Not at it at all. 

Gator QB greats...

Steve Spurrier -

son of a Presbyterian minister

Heisman (1966)

mediocre Pro Career (punter, backup quarterback)

EXCELLENT CHARACTER

Danny Wuerffel -

son of a Lutheran minister

Heisman (1996)

National Championship (1996) 

mediocre Pro Career

EXCELLENT CHARACTER, (Desire Street Ministries, New Orleans)

Tim Tebow -  

son of a Baptist missionary

Heisman (2007)

National Championship (2006, 2008)

??? Pro Career 

EXCELLENT CHARACTER

Interesting

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I have 2 theories:

1)  Rex Ryan thinks Teebow has a terrible arm just like the rest of the league but he really is impressed by Tim's feet.

2)  His value is NOT as competition for a QB.  Jacksonville doesn't really want Teebow for that.  They have a guy with a much better arm.  Teebow makes no sense to have on your roster in a QB competition.  He provides no competition in a normal offense.

What he does though is give you the ability to run a really funky offense which the other team would have to prepare for.  And then you design something else to catch them off-guard.  

That's why some people thought New England would go after him.  They are very creative.  But they need to score big points to win.  And perhaps didn't like the grind it out sort of options a fullback/quarterback gives you.  Wheras the Jets try and win 17-10 so they don't mind.  Take Sanchez off the field for a series and what have you lost?  Not much.  Take Brady off the field... and you've lost your mind.

jfa

The take in NY is that this is not a football decision, it's a marketing decision. The Jets blab blab blab about how they're the best time in town. They are not little brothers. Then what do the Giants do? Go win another Super Bowl.

The Jets are now on the back (front) page of the sports sections. Tebow jersey's will fly off the shelves. The seats in the stadium will fill. And the first couple of times Sanchez throws some to the other team, the Tebow chants will be heard in the Jersey Swamp.

From Tebow's agent's perspective, NE seemed like the very best place to land.  Brady will be 35 when this season starts.  He's a poster-boy for diligently working on technique to become a better QB.  And it's crystal-clear that he's the #1 QB on the team.  (Quick, name last season's backup!)  Tebow would get to learn under that system, bear no pressure to produce immediately, yet not have to wait a lifetime for Brady to get to his late 30s and start to decline or have injuries accumulate and take a toll.

And sending Tebow there doesn't make NE any stronger in the short term, so Denver shouldn't have been scared of bettering an already-better team that they'd have to get past in the playoffs.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Gator QB greats...

Steve Spurrier -

son of a Presbyterian minister

Heisman (1966)

mediocre Pro Career (punter, backup quarterback)

EXCELLENT CHARACTER

Danny Wuerffel -

son of a Lutheran minister

Heisman (1996)

National Championship (1996) 

mediocre Pro Career

EXCELLENT CHARACTER, (Desire Street Ministries, New Orleans)

Tim Tebow -  

son of a Baptist missionary

Heisman (2007)

National Championship (2006, 2008)

??? Pro Career 

EXCELLENT CHARACTER

Interesting

Your definition of mediocre is generous.

Steve Spurrier:  40 TD's, 60 INT's.  Career passer rating of 60.  best known for leading his team to an 0-14 record in 1976. 

Danny Wuerfel:  12 TD's 22 INT's.  Career passer rating of 56.

But who said any of this was important?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So Tebow won't lead them to 0-14 until he becomes the actual real QB though, right?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

From Tebow's agent's perspective, NE seemed like the very best place to land.

So maybe he was the one who spread the rumor that the Pats were interested.  Sadly for him and Denver, it does not appear the Patriots ever made an offer.

Runners run

But who said any of this was important?

As you've written before... "interesting =/= important" Smile
                      Thanks for remembering another great RA thread.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

vegefrog

The Jets just signed Sanchez to 5 years for 58 million plus a week or so before the Tebow deal.  I'm not sure how upset he could possibly be. This has to be a sign that he's going to be their 1QB and gives him some longer range security.

LOL, true. I don't know why I feel sorry for any of these players. They make so much freaking money how can they NOT be happy!

I teared up watching Peyton's press conference, because poor guy won't get to finish where he started and he looked so sad...but seriously, he is making so much money there is not ONE reason to shed a tear for him!!!

I'm sad for me and other Colts fans though Sad

L Train

Actually I think Mallett has a chance. 

As a long suffering (I know, "suffering" is redundant) Jets fan...30 years...here's my take:

Rex Ryan and new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano are both big fans of the wildcat offense.  The Jets really missed Brad Smith, who ran those formations before he left.  I see Tebow potentially filling that role, although obviously TT is more of a fullback than the quicker Brad Smith.  Jets had a TON of 3 and outs last year, putting Rex's defense on the field way too much.  So the upside is using TT in the wildcat to convert those 3rd and shorts.  He runs well (which the Jets found out, getting Tebowed themselves), and he CAN throw IF you move too many DB's in the box (Pitt and other teams found this out the hard way).  If it motivates Mark Sanchez to play better, and thus need TT less - all the better.

Of course, there's the risks - it may not work out for many reasons.  The Jets have plenty of other needs (Safety, pass rusher, receiver depth, OL depth) to address before they threaten the Patriots.  However, when I consider the upside, and the pittance (in the NFL economy) they gave up for Tebow, I think its worth the risk.

For Tebow himself, it may work out too.  The teams in Florida (Jax, Miami, TB) seem to be going nowhere right now - the Jets are much more competitive, warts and all.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

a lot of hand wringing and analysis being bandied about for essentially a 4th round draft pick kind of player.

Who did the Jets draft in the 4th round last season?  99.999% of America has no idea. 

Hollie S.

Merry Christmas!

I don't care what the heck anybody says, I am a die-hard Broncos fan, and, even though Tebow is not on anymore cuz of retarded John Elway, I still love them. I am also a Tebow fan, but Broncos come first.

BTW, what is Elway's deal? He traded Tebow just because he wanted to be known as the best Broncos quarterback, and now Peyton Manning beat his record. Who's the best now, dude? Seriously, I am really happy that Manning beat his record even though at the beginning I was pretty pissy about the entire thing with Tebow and Elway.

I wish I was as young as I look in the forum picture! But I'm not. :(