Training for 10-mile race? (Read 1249 times)

PhillyMar

I’m a running newbie (at least as an adult, though I ran in high school), and a first-time poster though I’ve been reading the site for months. Anyway, I’ve done about five 5ks and an 8k this year. The next thing I would like to try is a big 10-miler in my city in May 09. My questions: First, is this a realistic goal for me? My log isn’t on this site yet (I know, I know… I am hoping to move it over soon). In the meantime, the short version is that I started with run/walk in May, then “graduated” to all running. I now do about 12 miles per week on average. Not much, I know, and certainly not enough to run a 10-miler yet, but I wanted to build my miles gradually to avoid injury. So, how many mpw would you say is necessary to prepare to run a 10 miler, and could I reasonably build to that by May ’09? My goal would be more about running well and finishing the race, less about achieving a particular time since I have no experience at this distance whatsoever. Also, what sort of long run would you recommend to eventually reach in training for a 10 miler? Would I want to aim just to work my way up to 10 miles? Or is it better to train past the race distance, say, up to 12 miles for a long run? I have mostly run 5ks and generally aim to do at least one run per week longer than that race distance, say, 5 miles. But I’m not sure if this is the right approach for a newbie attempt at a 10 miler. Thanks for any ideas you have. I have already learned a lot—and also been entertained—by reading your posts on this great site.
    Purdey

Self anointed title

If your goal is simply to finish the race without having to walk, I would suggest that 20 - 25mpw would be plenty. There is loads to time to build up to this. Long run? Unless you are aiming for a particular time I would suggest that a few long runs of 8ish miles should be ok, perhaps with one of 10. I don't see any particular need to run beyond the distance until you decide to "race" the 10 miler with a goal time in mind. Good luck! Build up slowly.

nextyearcubs

I agree, you have plenty of time to build slowly and probably get comfortable running in the 8-10 mile range. Don't forget to taper a week or two before the race by cutting your mileage. Just think of it this way, the 10 miler is only twice the 8K, and you have six months to train for that. Don't let the distance intimidate you, be patient and you'll be fine. Now if only I would heed my own advice.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

If your goal is simply to finish the race without having to walk, I would suggest that 20 - 25mpw would be plenty. There is loads to time to build up to this. Long run? Unless you are aiming for a particular time I would suggest that a few long runs of 8ish miles should be ok, perhaps with one of 10. I don't see any particular need to run beyond the distance until you decide to "race" the 10 miler with a goal time in mind.
          Good advice.....no need to run 10 miles in order to prepare for 10 miles.....8 will do it and you'll feel great when you hit new territory (during the race). You have 5/6 months to prepare so you should have plenty of time......as stated above 20/25 MPW with one longish run of 8 Miles every week by Mar or April and you should have no problem finishing the distance...

Champions are made when no one is watching

The voice of mile 18

Broad Street is awesome. last year I cajoled 3 non-runner friends into doing it and they were about where you are now. they followed one of the generic trainign plans at halhigdon.com go check out the novice plan and see if you can find the time to train for it. but it a shot it's a great race and a lot fun

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Broad Street is awesome. last year I cajoled 3 non-runner friends into doing it and they were about where you are now. they followed one of the generic trainign plans at halhigdon.com go check out the novice plan and see if you can find the time to train for it. but it a shot it's a great race and a lot fun
              I second Hal Higdon.......good plans easy to follow and not to hard.....Good suggestion Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

PhillyMar

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the advice. And yup, you figured it out... it is indeed the Broad St Run I have in mind... my employer actually sponsors it and this spring some of my coworkers were running it and I thought, hmm, maybe that could be me.... Hopefully next year it will be! Thanks, I will check out the Higdon plan.
                  I did my first 10 miler (my first ever race) on the Hal Higdon plan, on about 4 months of regular running and even though my time was nothing to write home about, I finished fine. I think I did one 8 miler as my longest a week before the race.