Is It Okay To Run In A Cemetary? (Read 2197 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hmmm...good point. Though the undead in the 28 series are not technically "zombies" but "infected." I'd be SOL around the infected--I'm too slow. Blush Dead
    But if you got infected, you'd crush your PRs! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I dont know - even with the easy jog if you ever watch those old horror movies the zombies still seem to catch up to these people that are sprinting. I think it is more the sheer numbers that they have rather than their speed that is the issue with the pokey-zombies.
      This is true...eventually we living run out of gas, but the zombies are everywhere. Sleepy

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But if you got infected, you'd crush your PRs! Big grin
        No kidding! Hmmm...I'd rock the infected Olympics.

~ Sarah Kay

JimR

I find it disrespectful. There is a time and a place and when somone is mourning over a lost loved one the last thing you need to do is go zooming by them.
          Why? Someone is likely to drive by you and probably faster than someone jogging through. Is someone driving by even more disrespectful than someone jogging by?
          xor

I remember the coolrunning threads. This is a comet topic. That is, one that recurs every so often. The discussion gets heated; no answer will be reached. Now. Shut your eyes and envision a cemetery. What do you see? I bet that if you think about living people there witnessing a ceremony or visiting an occupant, you will probably steer clear. Lots of churn happens in these threads based on this simple unsaid thing... which doesn't need to be said because most of us probably aren't going to skip through a service singing along with our ipods. Similarly, if you envision a place without roads, you probably aren't thinking of skipping over markers and tombstones. But if you envision a place with roads, you are probably considering running the roads. Some churn happens in these threads because people get upset with the concept of turning a cemetery into some ad hoc cross country course. Which is weird because most of us probably aren't gonna do that. If, however, what you are envisioning is a quiet place with no living people around, then it comes down to things like: 1. Will it piss off those who work at the place? It might. And they have sharp tools and the phone numbers for the cops. Some places care. Some don't. Many cemeteries are very old and might not have workers around. 2. Will it piss off the occupants of the place. This causes some churn in message boards which absolutely will not get answered. If you think it will or it might, don't do it. If you don't think dead occupants will care (either because they simply don't or because you don't believe in the whole souls concept), then just accept that not everyone will agree with you. 3. Does it disrespect the memory of the occupants. Another churner, another non-answerable question. People have opinions. It's also like the tree falling in the forest when no one is around. If there aren't living people nearby, then does it matter? Opinion varies. There's no answer. For example, if you personally believe that doing this will put you on the naughty list with The Man (or The Woman), then don't do it. If you are worried about others seeing you and having it stress THEM out, then this is more like what I said up above about envisioning a place with live visitors. I have a small cemetery near my house. For the most part, this one filled up 50 years ago and almost nobody comes to visit. I cut through there occasionally. On the roads. Quietly. If I see someone, I don't.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

2. Will it piss off the occupants of the place. This causes some churn in mnssage boards which absolutely will not get answered. If you think it will or it might, don't do it. If you don't think people will care (either because they don't or because you don't believe in the whole souls concept), then just accept that not everyone will agree with you.
              Personally, if there's life after death, the last place my soul will be hanging out at is the cemetery. Boring. Among other things, I'd be haunting myself a spot at the theater and catch some flicks.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Menace to Sobriety

Hmmm...good point. Though the undead in the 28 series are not technically "zombies" but "infected." I'd be SOL around the infected--I'm too slow. Blush Dead
                You say tomayto, I say tomahto, you say infected, I say zombie.......splittin' hairs, ain't we?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

JakeKnight

I find it fascinating that nobody seems very interested in the opinion of the only person in this thread who actually works in the business and knows the customs. I love the Internet. People are funny. On the plus side, this thread now has a stellar high-jack on zombies. And I learned the phrase "comet topic," which is both funny and very useful. Carry on. I'm going to go run through a cemetery.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I remember the coolrunning threads. This is a comet topic. That is, one that recurs every so often. The discussion gets heated; no answer will be reached. Now. Shut your eyes and envision a cemetery. What do you see? I bet that if you think about living people there witnessing a ceremony or visiting an occupant, you will probably steer clear. Lots of churn happens in these threads based on this simple unsaid thing... which doesn't need to be said because most of us probably aren't going to skip through a service singing along with our ipods. Similarly, if you envision a place without roads, you probably aren't thinking of skipping over markers and tombstones. But if you envision a place with roads, you are probably considering running the roads. Some churn happens in these threads because people get upset with the concept of turning a cemetery into some ad hoc cross country course. Which is weird because most of us probably aren't gonna do that. If, however, what you are envisioning is a quiet place with no living people around, then it comes down to things like: 1. Will it piss off those who work at the place? It might. And they have sharp tools and the phone numbers for the cops. Some places care. Some don't. Many cemeteries are very old and might not have workers around. 2. Will it piss off the occupants of the place. This causes some churn in message boards which absolutely will not get answered. If you think it will or it might, don't do it. If you don't think dead occupants will care (either because they simply don't or because you don't believe in the whole souls concept), then just accept that not everyone will agree with you. 3. Does it disrespect the memory of the occupants. Another churner, another non-answerable question. People have opinions. It's also like the tree falling in the forest when no one is around. If there aren't living people nearby, then does it matter? Opinion varies. There's no answer. For example, if you personally believe that doing this will put you on the naughty list with The Man (or The Woman), then don't do it. If you are worried about others seeing you and having it stress THEM out, then this is more like what I said up above about envisioning a place with live visitors. 4. Will you raise the undead, who will ultimately terrorize your small town and leave you holed up behind the bar in some small boarded up restaurant, hiding there with a blonde who will ultimately very nearly bite it before uncle Jimmy shoots the zombie in the head from behind in the last climactic moment before the sun rises and they all melt away? I have a small cemetery near my house. For the most part, this one filled up 50 years ago and almost nobody comes to visit. I cut through there occasionally. On the roads. Quietly. If I see someone, I don't.
                    Fixed
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Personally, if there's life after death, the last place my soul will be hanging out at is the cemetery. Boring. Among other things, I'd be haunting myself a spot at the theater and catch some flicks.
                      I'm planning on cremation. Then I hope surviving friends and family will dump me somewhere funny. Heck, they can flush me for all I'm gonna care. did wants to be composted. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I find it fascinating that nobody seems very interested in the opinion of the only person in this thread who actually works in the business and knows the customs.
                        Reposted for your convenience
                        Opinion from your local friendly 2nd generation undertaker: It is perfectly fine to run in a cemetery. People may be offended if you run over the grass next to the tombstones, but if you stick to the paved or cut rows and act respectfully, you should be fine. There is a lot to look at in the cemetery...lots of community and family history and beautiful artwork and monuments! In many other countries, cemeteries are places that people go to get away from city life...they'll take their families there for picnics and go there for walks. We have enough of a death denial attitude in the US...I say run through the cemetery!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm planning on cremation. Then I hope surviving friends and family will dump me somewhere funny.
                          Two words (for me): Michigan. Stadium. Tongue

JakeKnight

Two words (for me): Michigan. Stadium. Tongue
                            That is indeed someplace funny.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

xor

I find it fascinating that nobody seems very interested in the opinion of the only person in this thread who actually works in the business and knows the customs. .
                              I'd be willing to bet that the business and the customs are different in different regions. For example, the level of religious background and impact. In other things... hey Trent, if you are going to pull the ancient "fixed" quote joke out, can you chop some of my verbosity? I write too much.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha! I'll probably have my cremains dumped in Lake MI. I've lived my entire life within running distance of that body of water. That's where my grandpa had his ashes spread, too.

~ Sarah Kay