Is It Okay To Run In A Cemetary? (Read 2197 times)

Just a little food for thought here...I see things everyday that are VERY disrespectful to mourners and also hear attitudes that are very disrespectful to the memories of people who have died and to the concept of death itself (ie not pulling aside for funeral processions, pulling into a funeral procession or hitting a car in a procession while talking on a cell phone, tipping over grave markers, coming to a funeral drunk). These are all far different than running through a cemetery...a place full of memories, history, emotions, and art. Most of us are rational people. Whether or not you'll run in a cemetery depends on what the cemeteries are like in your area (ie rural Wisconsin vs. Chicago) and your personal feelings about what a cemetery is or means. (Just like how you react to or plan for or handle the death of a loved one may be different from the next guy and you both feel your feelings are the most obviously "right" ones). It may also hinge on your feelings regarding zombies, as illustrated earlier in the thread Wink I get confused that people may suggest it's disrespectful to run quietly through the roads of a cemetery while letting your mind wander and meditating while people in vehicles drive through just to look or wander all the time. Both of these things are perfectly respectful if done with proper motives. And, I think most of us would never even enter the cemetery if we saw a service being conducted at the moment we ran by out of simple respect for the family. Just a humble opinion...

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent, if you are going to pull the ancient "fixed" quote joke out, can you chop some of my verbosity? I write too much.
      Smile We use that old trick 'round these parts all the time...too much really.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd be willing to bet that the business and the customs are different in different regions. For example, the level of religious background and impact.
        I'll bet you're right. I'm not sure I'd run a cemetery in this area, since it's pretty conservative/religious. But where I grew up (same state our resident RA undertaker hails from) I probably would. Different cultures.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That is indeed someplace funny.
          I agree. This is one of my favorite hilarious moments there. A lot of folks thought this was funny, but I don't get it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Jazz hands!

When I'm at my parents', I run around Civil War cemetaries (and also battlefields). I figure, hey, at least someone's using it. I agree with someone else, just don't disturb services or step on actual graves.
            run run run AHHHHHH run run run
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When I'm at my parents', I run around Civil War cemetaries (and also battlefields). I figure, hey, at least someone's using it. I agree with someone else, just don't disturb services or step on actual graves.
              http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=1195001111
              JakeKnight

Just a humble and educated opinion...
                Fixed it for you.
                ...a place full of memories, history, emotions, and art.
                I share your obvious fascination for the places. I truly wish I had one nearby to run in. Or walk through. They're one of the only places in our culture designed for calm reflection, and they're a unique combination of spirituality and history. When I lived in Europe I lived near an old cemetery with graves - still clearly marked - dating back to the 14th century. Just fascinating. Here in Tennessee, all the old Civil War spots are similarly interesting. Your job sounds pretty cool. Except for the zombies and stuff.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

xor

Yeah, Trent beat me to this one, but I'll post anyway. There are organized races in cemeteries. Battlegrounds are like one giant cemetery, although people aren't necessarily interred where you are standing (just like a regular cemetery). BUT not everything is marked it is possible that someone IS underneath or died where you are. At the Chickamauga Marathon, they don't have a lot of portapotties. You think it might be disrespectful to run near the dearly departed? Well, how do you feel about peeing near the dearly departed? 'Cause I had to, and I did because there wasn't much choice, but I felt really weird about it.

JakeKnight

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=1195001111
                    Looks really cool. Sort of like running through a cemetery, actually. Here's the official site: http://www.battlefieldmarathon.com/course.html Wanna run it with me this year as a warm up for the Monkey? I do need Georgia ...

And, just to chime in on the remarks about what you want when you are dead because I never get to share professional opinions in any other RA thread Tongue ... Remember, a funeral and/or celebrations after death are for the living. Consider the needs of those you leave behind. Some people need to view a body to accept the reality of a death...others would not need that. Cremation is just substitution for earth burial. So, if you think your family does not need to view you and you do not want to be viewed, you need to say "I want to be cremated with no viewing" or "I want to be cremated after viewing" or "I want to be shown in a rental casket or cremation casket and then cremated." Basically, be specific because otherwise you won't get what you want! When I die, I want to be embalmed, have funeral and celebration services with an open ceremonial (aka rental) casket, be cremated, have my ashes placed in something from my home, and then be buried in my local cemetery. The rest of the details will be decided by my family with the help of a caring undertaker who can help them decide what they need emotionally. I buried someone's cremated remains in their cowboy boot once. It was very cool. I have a friend who wants to be shot out of a snow maker machine on the ski hill (don't tell the DNR...they consider scattering of cremains to be littering). And, I have seen families put some pretty funny/cool/meaningful things in their loved one's casket, too. (Can of Old Milwaukee, playing cards, bottle of Jack, walkie talkie, cell phone...the list goes on and on!)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cristina, thanks for the info! I hadn't heard of rental caskets before. Hmm, you've given me something to think about!
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And, I have seen families put some pretty funny/cool/meaningful things in their loved one's casket, too. (Can of Old Milwaukee, playing cards, bottle of Jack, walkie talkie, cell phone...the list goes on and on!)
                          Wasn't a guy recently buried in a giant PBR can or something to that effect? I love that story! Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Your job sounds pretty cool. Except for the zombies and stuff.
                            My job is VERY cool, and I am honored that I can help people. I just hate when people are so skeptical of what we do, because there are a lot of us that have our own businesses, are on-call 24/7, and DO NOT do this for the money because we make very little of it considering the 50-70 hour weeks many of us put in. I just want to help people cope with death in a way that makes the most sense to them. By the way, they give you a lifetime supply of zombie repellant when you graduate from mortuary school.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

By the way, they give you a lifetime supply of zombie repellant when you graduate from mortuary school.
                              You guys need to promote that feature, more. I'll bet that would be all the incentive some folks need to enter the business. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Rental coffins. Or caskets? What's the difference between a casket and a coffin? I can't believe I learned about "comet topics," "cremains," and "rental caskets" all in one thread. This place is so educational.