Is It Okay To Run In A Cemetary? (Read 2197 times)

JakeKnight

apples/oranges my friend
    Says who?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Dave

Maybe. MTA: Doh! I will be in DC that weekend.
      Lots of good running routes in DC. Let me know if you're looking for some company. Damn, that sounded needy didn't it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

JimR

apples/oranges my friend
        so basically you can't answer the question
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Lots of good running routes in DC. Let me know if you're looking for some company. Damn, that sounded needy didn't it.
          Ha Smile Thanks! I like to run in Rock Creek and around the Mall. Fire me an email.
            so basically you can't answer the question
            I think its pretty much common sense that someone driving in a car in a cemetery is completely different than someone jogging through a cemetery. But since you want it spelled out, here's my take. Some one in a car is likely to be in the cemetery for funereal reasons: visiting the grave site of a loved one, or perhaps looking to purchase a family plot. In any case, their likely to be in a somewhat somber, reverent mood. In all cases, they're unlikely to be blasting music, honking their horn, or otherwise drawing attention to themselves. Cars in a cemetery are expected, commonplace, daily occurrences. Everyone of us has arrived and departed from a cemetery in a car; they are a normal and necessary part of the logistics of a funereal service. Therefore cars are more likely to blend into the background from the perspective of other cemetery visitors. Also, the car itself creates a spacial boundary that prevents or limits unnecessary intrusion on the personal space of a visiting mourner. This is especially true since a car is likely to moving faster than a runner, and therefore will enter-and-exit the perception of a visiting mourner in a shorter period of time. A runner, on the other hand, is not in a cemetery for funereal reasons. He or she is there for recreational purposes, arguably the polar emotional opposite of mourning. And even if the runner is entirely quiet and respectful, its still a more unusual occurrence and therefore more likely to be a distraction and perhaps an annoyance to a visiting mourner. That's my answer to the question, since you asked.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I can't see a big difference in the level of distraction between cars and joggers. If anything cars would be more disruptive. Unless the jogger is jammin' to the ipod. Then he/she would be about as annoying as a person driving past with the radio on and the window open. i don't think anyone is talking about running on the actual plots. just the darn roads. Obviously you should just obey the rules of the facility. If someone buys a plot there they should assume that those same rules are followed. If the rules allow public access for runners then that's that.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My XC coach had a longstanding arrangement w/ the cemetery that we ran in, so there were no issues with his runners being there. I personally loved running there -- calm, peaceful, quiet setting. Even after I graduated high school, I would occasionally run loops there when I was visiting home.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

I can't believe this thread has gone on for so long and there has been no mention of Ed Whitlock.

Lazy idiot

I can't believe this thread has gone on for so long and there has been no mention of Ed Whitlock.
                    Big grin Click

Tick tock

Why is it sideways?

Big grin Click
                      Crap. Well, only once, then. +1 to your internet awareness.

Lazy idiot

Crap. Well, only once, then. +1 to your internet awareness.
                        Heh... Also... monitor all message boards, all the time.

Tick tock

AroundTheHorn

I think its pretty much common sense that someone driving in a car in a cemetery is completely different than someone jogging through a cemetery. But since you want it spelled out, here's my take. Some one in a car is likely to be in the cemetery for funereal reasons: visiting the grave site of a loved one, or perhaps looking to purchase a family plot. In any case, their likely to be in a somewhat somber, reverent mood. In all cases, they're unlikely to be blasting music, honking their horn, or otherwise drawing attention to themselves. Cars in a cemetery are expected, commonplace, daily occurrences. Everyone of us has arrived and departed from a cemetery in a car; they are a normal and necessary part of the logistics of a funereal service. Therefore cars are more likely to blend into the background from the perspective of other cemetery visitors. Also, the car itself creates a spacial boundary that prevents or limits unnecessary intrusion on the personal space of a visiting mourner. This is especially true since a car is likely to moving faster than a runner, and therefore will enter-and-exit the perception of a visiting mourner in a shorter period of time. A runner, on the other hand, is not in a cemetery for funereal reasons. He or she is there for recreational purposes, arguably the polar emotional opposite of mourning. And even if the runner is entirely quiet and respectful, its still a more unusual occurrence and therefore more likely to be a distraction and perhaps an annoyance to a visiting mourner. That's my answer to the question, since you asked.
                          Lol that I need to spell it out for you Jim. I was going to offer a rebuttal but my fellow forum member here did it quite well so.....apples/oranges And thanks Berner
                          Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                          JimR

I think its pretty much common sense that someone driving in a car in a cemetery is completely different than someone jogging through a cemetery. But since you want it spelled out, here's my take.
                            Actually, I do want it spelled out because these are both moving things in a cemetary and while you might declare it 'obvious' that one is completely different than the other, the only difference is one is a car (driven by someone) and one is a person. They may or may not make noise, may or may not be there for 'a reason' and may or may not be disturbing to others.
                            Some one in a car is likely to be in the cemetery for funereal reasons: visiting the grave site of a loved one, or perhaps looking to purchase a family plot. In any case, their likely to be in a somewhat somber, reverent mood. In all cases, they're unlikely to be blasting music, honking their horn, or otherwise drawing attention to themselves.
                            Since the primary point you're making here is whether they are drawing attention to themselves (or being a nuisance, basically), then whether they are running or not is irrelevent. Also, I don't think it's acceptible for you to imply that a runner will 'likely' be drawing attention to themselves.
                            Cars in a cemetery are expected, commonplace, daily occurrences. Everyone of us has arrived and departed from a cemetery in a car; they are a normal and necessary part of the logistics of a funereal service. Therefore cars are more likely to blend into the background from the perspective of other cemetery visitors.
                            And if runners are a commonplace daily occurance then it makes no difference. As far as blending in is concerned, near as I know people will exit cars, so you're implying a person not in a car in a cemetary now doesn't blend in as well. I don't get this point. When someone exits a car are they now a distraction? Are you implying it's acceptible to be there as long as you're in a car, speaking strictly from a 'blending in' point of view? Maybe drivers and visitors should pass through and not stop at all?
                            Also, the car itself creates a spacial boundary that prevents or limits unnecessary intrusion on the personal space of a visiting mourner. This is especially true since a car is likely to moving faster than a runner, and therefore will enter-and-exit the perception of a visiting mourner in a shorter period of time.
                            A spacial boundary from what? The driver? Passenger? Again, you seem to be implying cars are acceptible but people aren't. As far as speed is concerned, aroundthehorn indcated the problem would be from the runner 'zooming' by, so apparently faster would be the issue, not slower. Would running hard through a cemetary be better than jogging slowly? You seem to be saying so.
                            A runner, on the other hand, is not in a cemetery for funereal reasons. He or she is there for recreational purposes, arguably the polar emotional opposite of mourning. And even if the runner is entirely quiet and respectful, its still a more unusual occurrence and therefore more likely to be a distraction and perhaps an annoyance to a visiting mourner.
                            Someone is either there for more conventional reasons or they are not, this matters not whether the person is driving, walking, biking or jogging. A person is either a distraction or not. Maybe if they are there for a reason, a mourner might be more forced to accept it, but this has little to do with the mourner being disturbed by it/them. If you're implying that the runner is apparently alive and healthy and this is somehow disturbing to others, then I guess every other alive and well visitor should be equally disturbing from that perspective. I'm sure you'll argue that others (non-joggers) are also there for a reason, so that's okay. Well this goes back to why someone is there and why that's a disturbance, and not one of the person being apparently healthy and alive.
                            That's my answer to the question, since you asked.
                            Bottom line here, if a mourner or visitor is distracted by movement or noise, then they're distracted by movement or noise, whether a jogger, a car, a motorcycle, piece of heavy equipment, someone tending to a plot, makes no diff. If that person has enough about them to ponder why someone else is there and start evaluating reasons, then apparently mourning isn't much on their mind. A runner is no more likely to disturb someone there than anyone or anything else. Most likely that runner will pass completely unnoticed. Few people spend much time at a cemetary and won't be any less disturbed by a tire and an engine than a foot and pair of lungs. And, to top this off, I do run through one particular cemetary quite regularly. My wife's aunt/uncle are buried there and every time I go through I stop and tend the plots, do a little cleaning and clearing, make sure it's in good shape and looking okay. So don't judge that book by it's cover. Apples and oranges...don't think so. MacIntosh and Granny Smith...maybe....

Why is it sideways?

We ran through a cemetary in college almost every day on our warm-up. It wasn't a very active one; I don't remember there ever having been a service. I don't think the dead people minded too much.
                              JakeKnight

Ay, caramba.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------