Running shoes bad (Read 1174 times)

Ok i havnt done much research, but i was listening to the radio and heard an interesting convo. I belive the man who was speaking wrote a book. He claims running shoes are to blame for most injuries involving running, and running with barely anything ( a foot slip ) is the natural way to run and will keep you from injury. He claims this because he spent time with certain tribal people ( i forget the name) that run ultra distances with barely anything on their feet. They even raced with proffessional ultra- runners. I am semi- skeptical... But i think it is interesting. I know little about shoes and their effects on the body Does anyone have proffessional opinion. Or heard of this guys story. How true do you think this is. After all like his quote " runnining shoes have been around about 30 yrs and mankind has been running for about 2 million"
    http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Might be true. But count how many people on the podium at NY, London, Rotterdam, the Olympics, etc, ran barefoot -- I'd think they'd have the highest incentive to use whatever technique is fastest. (Although admittedly, they also may have more to risk by switching, than us average runners do -- we have no medals or prize money to endanger by experimenting.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

ymmv

mankind has been running for about 2 million"
        2 million years ago, I wonder if they had discussion forum topics like 'Wheel bad' or 'Fire bad'...

Skooter 3.0

Woah woah woah....I thought God dropped man off like 3000 years ago...what's this "2 million" crap!? Looks like someone needs to go to the "Science and History Museum"...Wink

Goals?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

6011 years ago (Oct 23, 4004 BCE, and no year zero).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

shoes are a preference. Some need their cushion others like it bare or almost bare. I prefer flats or very little cushion, my theory is that if you train the muscles in your feet properly, they adapt and get stronger, along with your legs. That doesn't mean its for everyone, its a give and take situation. You give a little comfort and take a little more pain and eventually strength. Running shoes have made running assessable to the general public, the more training you have, the more years of growth and muscle memory you develop the less help your feet (and mind) require for comfort.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2 million years ago, I wonder if they had discussion forum topics like 'Wheel bad' or 'Fire bad'...
                Reminds me of the Tarzan, Tonto, Frankenstein bit on SNL.... Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Reminds me of the Tarzan, Tonto, Frankenstein bit on SNL.... Big grin
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ubem25WyN8

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thousands of years ago nail and glass didn't exist. That would my biggest argument against running barefoot on a road. I've run barefoot on a track, but it tore my feet up pretty bad.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Are glass and nails worse than sharp sticks and rocks?
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ubem25WyN8
                        The best one is the Thanksgiving bit..."bread...GOOD!" Hubby has always said he'd love to open a bakery and call it "Bread...GOOD!"

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ya i may try a few barefoot runs on the track just to see the difference But im gona stick to the shoes... Glass up the heel one time in my life is enough for me.
                          http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
                          coastwalker

I've heard and read that the problem is that we put our infants and toddlers in shoes way too early, inhibiting good muscle development in their feet from the start. If we let our kids run around barefoot for longer, they would most likely have fewer foot problems, and be able to wear more 'neutral' running shoes, if they chose to wear shoes. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.