Day to day variance (Read 514 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

I ran these two runs a day apart. Same course, same speed, different "direction" and yet yesterday (with a day's rest) I felt like crap and today, I felt great. This is shown in the HR numbers as well - almost 10BPM difference. I would have thought, if anything, that today's run would have been "worse" (due to fatigue, sickness, etc). What gives? Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks! Yesterday: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/756d6deac7c14851912e1b347d1a76ea/workouts/a65979642f6048a9961355736f4618f7 Today: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/756d6deac7c14851912e1b347d1a76ea/workouts/52f39142a511424f84fda111623aab17

http://xkcd.com/621/

It could be a myriad of factors I would imagine. Maybe the course is a little more uphill towards the start and you pushed to hard through it. Could easily be just general day-day variance as well, some days for whatever reason (lack of sleep, bad diet, stress, or no apparent reason) you just don't have it. I know somedays I go out and 8 min pace feels nice and relaxed and easy, and other days an 8:15 pace might be an uncomfortable battle to maintain. I'd say you probably don't need to worry about it unless it becomes chronic/regular, but I'm nowhere near being an expert.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Best Present Ever

I think these things are a mystery. I usually run my long run on Sat (17-20 miles lately) then a 6-8 mile run on Sunday. Sometimes, the Sunday run is a real slog, other days (like today) I feel like I could run forever. Sometimes my runs on Monday-Wednesday are just miserable, the later in the week they pick up. Other times, not. Sometimes, I can say that I ran a particulary hilly route, had less sleep, or ran faster than usual to explain why the subsequent runs feel harder. Other times, either I ran fairly easy and the runs were hard, or I ran particularly hard, and the later runs felt easy. I mostly just shrug and run the miles my plan says I should run and figure that bodies are complicated things.
        Dunottar

FWIW - USUALLY, my 'toughest' runs are on days after I've taken a day off. Once I get cranking into consecutive days, the runs seem to get 'easier'. (I noticed you took Fri. off and your 'tough[er]' run was on Sat., but the above may or may not apply to you). And perhaps related,....I've been running for 5 years with long runs almost invariably on Sundays. Due to my schedule, I've followed that up with a Monday run (rather than taking Monday off). Those Monday runs have nearly always been the strongest, 'fastest', most effortless runs of the week. I'm sure there's a physiological reason for these things, but I've never been been able to figure them out.
            Those Monday runs have nearly always been the strongest, 'fastest', most effortless runs of the week.
            Wow, that’s interesting, totally opposite from my experiences. A Monday recovery after a good Sunday long is almost invariably a slog. However, my experience is much like yours in that stringing consecutive runs together definitely seems to get me into some sort of "rhythm" and generally feel better, the long run (and sometimes a hard interval day) is the exception to this.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

I agree with the other replies that there are all sorts of possible reasons. I'd say log it carefully: what you did the day before & that day, including sleep, food, activities, rest, etc. Do the same when you have other particularly difficult or good runs. Eventually you might find common threads, like Dunottar & L_Master have.
              Next goal: Great Wall Marathon

Giant Flaming Dork

I agree with the other replies that there are all sorts of possible reasons. I'd say log it carefully: what you did the day before & that day, including sleep, food, activities, rest, etc. Do the same when you have other particularly difficult or good runs. Eventually you might find common threads, like Dunottar & L_Master have.
                I'll try it. Lately I have been putting more info in my log, but it's just about the run - nothing else. I guess I'll start tracking it... Thanks for all your suggestions!!! It's very helpful to get different opinions.

http://xkcd.com/621/