How much should a 5K hurt (Read 2678 times)

I have always questioned myself during every 5K I have ever done and that little voice in my mind always talks to me the whole time, especially after mile 2!!!!  saying things like- just use it as a little speed workout- walk if you need to, what, a hill, whatever, it's a sprint, just wuss it out and slow down, maybe stop and go back to your car.  And, I never do, although I suffered less during the 5K last night  than I did during  the one 13 days after a marathon and I set a PR last night-- yeah, so that is progress!  I sometimes wonder if I grabbed my ipod if it would help, but nobody that has ever worn an ipod that I have noticed (not that I have anything against it- I just think I run better and kick myself a little more without it) has beat me in a 5K, so peer pressure keeps me just with my thoughts for entertainment!  I love and hate 5Ks.  The only thing that worries me about 5Ks is that I feel so god awful during the last mile that I question my readiness for a 10 miler, half-marathon, marathon coming down the road and I know it is an entirely different beast, but it still gives me pause!

My 5ks don't hurt very much until about the 2 mile mark.

The 1st mile should feel fairly easy (see note below) or else you are going too fast.

The last half mile hurts but on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say it hurts about a 6.

Its more uncomfortable feeling than pain and knowing that I can slow down to feel better.

That is really the struggle to try to keep from slowing down.

I see some interesting responses after my post.

Many posters have said the 1st mile should be hard.

I would go more with comfortably hard.

The charts say to run a sub 20 5k I should be able to run an all out mile in 5:46

yet my 5k opening mile would be right at 6:27.

So I don't think that 41 seconds slower than my mile speed is hard.

Its just knowing that now I got to put together a couple more of those miles.

So to me its more a struggle with myself...like when I get to the halfway mark at 10:05

and think I have to run the 2nd half faster there is no way!

Okay, this has been really intersting and helpful as a guide for just how you ought to feel in a 5k.

How about a 10k, I have one of those in a few weeks and was just wondering how you should feel during the various stages of that race?

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

glutton for punishment

I have dropped from 29 to 22:15 in year and a half

5Ks are wierd.  I have been trying to not get so competitive with myself in every 5K.  I have been wanting to just go out and have fun, you know get a shirt, have a banana, etc.. I never happens. I always try to kill myself everytime.

On my best 5ks I think the 1st mile is key.  If you lolly gag around too much there is no time to make it up.

When I hear the 1st mile split being called out and its at my redline limit, I am thinking oh my god this is going to hurt .  After 2 miles I am thinking this is crazy - I am going to end up in the ER if I am not careful.

Then I just try to hang on for the last 1.1.  I can usually start to hear the race announcer on the loudspeaker at around 2.5 and that pulls me in to the finish.   Then i walk around for 3-5 minutes hyperventilating in blissful endorphin joy

PRs: 5K - 22:15 May 09 10K - 47:11 feb 09 15K - 1:16 april 09 HM - 1:47 nov 08
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

When I hear the 1st mile split being called out and its at my redline limit, I am thinking oh my god this is going to hurt .  After 2 miles I am thinking this is crazy - I am going to end up in the ER if I am not careful.

Nice job pushing it that hard -- I am having trouble daring to push that hard in the first half.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

New member here, this is what my problem has been in 5K's.  So I searched this question and the answers given were great.  I now know that I am not pushing hard enough for sure.  I started running for the first time ever in my life last September 13, 2008.  My first race with walking included was 37.52.  As of today, 7-12-2009 my best time is 27.55.  Not bad but my problem as of late is that I cannot get off of the low 28's or high 27's.  There was a quote from an earlier post about the Sunday jog, well that is what I am doing now.  I will get out of this mind set soon.  I weight about 251 and losing weight.  I was 273 when I started running.  People say big guys cannot run and I here to prove them wrong.  On 7-25-09 I will be running my 20th. 5K race, check this race name out.  The Shithouse 5K in LaCrosse, WI.  also the race starts right next to a sewage plant.  That's what I like about 5K's they are all unique races.  Any tips on my pushing harder would be great and thanks again for all the posts, they were great and some were hilarious.  P.J. (Viking Chrome.)
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On 7-25-09 I will be running my 20th. 5K race, check this race name out.  The Shithouse 5K in LaCrosse, WI.  also the race starts right next to a sewage plant.  That's what I like about 5K's they are all unique races.  Any tips on my pushing harder would be great and thanks again for all the posts, they were great and some were hilarious.  P.J. (Viking Chrome.)

Awesome...that race sounds excellent!  Another WI native and a Scandinavian, from the sound of things!  We don't need to be fast...we can bludgeon the competition and plunder their villages...muwahahahaha...uff da! Big grin

As for 5ks...I kind of avoid them.  Often they are coupled with a longer distance, like a 15k or HM, so I always choose the longer race.  When I do any distance shorter than a 25k I like to run a mile or two warm-up...otherwise I spend at least half of the race just trying to find my groove.  But they still hurt pretty much after the first half mile.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Okay, this has been really intersting and helpful as a guide for just how you ought to feel in a 5k.

How about a 10k, I have one of those in a few weeks and was just wondering how you should feel during the various stages of that race?

About just as bad, but it lasts twice as long

Well maybe you should feel 90 -95% as bad first half and the second half just gets worse....then your good.  The key for 10k is you should be just at or slightly above your "Redline" where as a 5k you are below the "Redline" whatever that may be for you.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

About just as bad, but it lasts twice as long

Well maybe you should feel 90 -95% as bad first half and the second half just gets worse....then your good.  The key for 10k is you should be just at or slightly above your "Redline" where as a 5k you are below the "Redline" whatever that may be for you.

Too funny.  Yeah, it hurts pretty bad.  I'd say the 2nd half of the 10k hurts like the 5k.  During the 1st half I try to control my pace else I'll suffer badly.  In general, you should start to question your sanity at 5 miles rather than 2.5 miles (in the 5k).  At that point try to speed up.

When I PR'ed in the 10k last Fall, I hit the 3 mile mark at around my average 5k finish time.  So, I was ~12 secs per mile slower than 5k pace.  Luckily I held that pace through the 2nd half of the race for a pretty even split.  I was busting a lung in the last mile.

Mich - If your 5ks don't hurt until the 2 mile marker you're not going hard enough. 

p.s. the Shithouse 5k (LOL) would seem rather... errr... aromatic...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Why is it sideways?

In my best races, I felt no pain at all. Strange.

In my experience, the pain is what I focus on when I've already fallen off the edge.

Describing pain is notoriously hard. There have been numerous attempts to quantify it but some recent discoveries about the genetics involved have helped explain why two people may describe the same physical event very differently.

One of the more successful attempts to describe pain is the Schmidt Sting pain index which takes an unusual, and rather poetic. approach to describing the intensity of different insect stings. Justin Schmidt experienced the stings of 78 different insect species to come up with his 4-point scale:

1.0 Sweat bee: Light, ephemeral, almost fruity. A tiny spark has singed a single hair on your arm.
                        1.2 Fire ant: Sharp, sudden, mildly alarming. Like walking across a shag carpet & reaching for the light switch.
                        1.8 Bullhorn acacia ant: A rare, piercing, elevated sort of pain. Someone has fired a staple into your cheek.
                        2.0 Bald-faced hornet: Rich, hearty, slightly crunchy. Similar to getting your hand mashed in a revolving door.
                        2.0 Yellowjacket: Hot and smoky, almost irreverent. Imagine W. C. Fields extinguishing a cigar on your tongue.
                        2.x Honey bee and European hornet: Like a matchhead that flips off and burns on your skin.
                        3.0 Red harvester ant: Bold and unrelenting. Somebody is using a drill to excavate your ingrown toenail.
                        3.0 Paper wasp: Caustic & burning. Distinctly bitter aftertaste. Like spilling a beaker of hydrochloric acid on a paper cut.
                        4.0 Tarantula hawk: Blinding, fierce, shockingly electric. A running hair drier has been dropped into your bubble bath.
                        4.0+ Bullet ant: Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like fire-walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch rusty nail in your heel.

So how about it, anyone want to come up with Running ahead guide to race pain? 1mile, 5k, 10k, half, full and ultra?

The more colorful the better. It might also need two columns, one for a good day and one for a bad day.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                        JimR

I'd hate to think what shorter stuff feels like.  I've run hard miles, halfs, quarters, etc. in training, but never in a race.

I've been bitten by a scoprion and a cobra.  While The snake bite lasted a whole lot longer, the scoprion bite is sharper/intense. 

I broke many a bone while I was young, and fell into an open well once (log I was diving from broke off) and scraped the front of my body, not sure which was more painful.  So the rating of the pain scale is definitely more subjective than a number.

kcam

I don't feel pain per se in races, more like a steadily increasing, intense discomfort (not the same as pain) at the same time as my desire to slow down or stop is also elevating.  I think I'd drop from the race if what I was feeling I could describe as pain.
                                 I don't feel pain per se in races, more like a steadily increasing, intense discomfort (not the same as pain) at the same time as my desire to slow down or stop is also elevating.  I think I'd drop from the race if what I was feeling I could describe as pain.

That is probably a more accurate assesment of race pain. 

Just thinking this morning on run that the "pain" I thought I felt on 5 mile race sunday was more like a gentle burning of the lungs and the real "pain" was 99% mental as the bad part of your mind is telling you ... "No way we keep this up for 2 more miles .... We are going to Bonk old man" .... So then have to fire back "Shut up Wus .... Give me another 1/2 mile and then we will see" ; "Ok we did not die ... Another half mile than we are in the 1 mile stretch .. who can't survive that ... it will all be over in 7 - 7.5 minutes ... Come on".

Then when done and get over the 1 - 2 recovery its like "damn ... should have went faster".

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!