Running with a cold? (Read 527 times)

Don't call me Buttercup!

Hi! New here, love it so far.  

My apologies, because I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I'm sleepy and can't remember the "rule."   Can you/should you run with a cold?  Only if it's in your head and not your chest?  Can someone please remind this newb what's considered safe?  (i.e. I don't want to end up with pneumonia or something, particularly since I just came back to running after a short hiatus and I would be really freaking pissed if I had to go back on the IR)

Thanks!  

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Hi Di I am not a doctor - I believe there's at least one lurking round here

General rule, at least the one that I have been told many times, I am sure there are exceptions:

Above the neck - run

Below the neck - rest

Not sure what to do if it's just your neck that hurts.... guess that's a judgement call! Wink

2013 Goals
      1) Break 1:50 in a HM (PR 1:52:19)
      2) Break 4:00 in a Marathon (PR 4:20:39)

JML

+1 on MattJ.  If I have a head cold, a run seems to feel OK and I actually feel better after the run.  When I try to run with chest congestion, it has never been a good experience.  Better to get some rest and live to fight another day.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Don't call me Buttercup!

Thanks, guys!   I appreciate the quick response.  

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Splish

What a coincidence, I have a cold today! What the hell you doin' to me, God?

I am actually taking the day off due to cold. I could run, but last day off was eight days back and it's cold and damp out there. Movies, Skyrim, spaghetti in marinara with sausage, maybe a couple of Surly beverages, maybe even slowcook a pork shoulder.. I can probably salvage this Saturday, and tomorrow's another day Smile

Buelligan

I've run with an above the neck cold before and it turned into a below the neck cold.  It may have been on its way anyway, but if I get a cold now, I just take a few days off and let it run its course.   Being fit seems to keep the downtime to a minimum anyway.  Once the worst of the symptoms start to clear up, I'll go ahead and start running again even if I'm slightly clogged.

Maggie & Molly

I'm with MattJ too.  I run if it is a head cold and stay home if it is in my chest and I can't breath without hacking up a lung.Joking

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Head cold - run if no fever.

Chest cold - rest.

I've skipped the last two days, even though my cold has been mostly in my head (with drainage into my throat - ick), because I feel like I've been running a fever.

tinman11

I just take rest days until I start getting better.  Seems like rest really helps me recover.

SheCan

I always run through a head cold.  In fact the days I run, I feel much better.  It's like it clears everything out.  I barely notice a cold anymore since I've started running.

Cherie

Running- the real sport.  The others just play with their balls.

I always run through a head cold.  In fact the days I run, I feel much better.  It's like it clears everything out.  I barely notice a cold anymore since I've started running.

+1 to this.