Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Well round 2 is scheduled for 3/16. Of course, the last couple of weeks my good hip has been hurting. Pinching, groin pain, a little glute pain. I messaged the doc to see if we can do some imaging and just knock em both out at once on the 16th. lol

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Hip Redux

Good luck!!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I also have an MRI scheduled for next week for the good hip.

Otium cum dignitate

Hi, folks.  I had my labrum tear and FAI surgery done on January 6th.  I had microfracturing done, as well, to supplement thinning cartiledge.  My MD said that the labrum wasn't so much torn as "in tatters", so he used metal sutures to sew it back together.  So, I'm going on 2 1/2 months post-surgery and am still feeling occasional pain.  The PT is trying to be upbeat, but admits this may be a sign that the procedure wasn't successful, which is pretty discouraging.  Without any frame of reference, it's hard to tell what's normal post-op pain and what's not.  Can anyone else relate to or comment on this?

Hip Redux

My groin pain felt very similar post-op, just to a lesser extent and less frequently.  The way it was explained to me is that until it's fully healed, which takes forever and a day, you basically are still dealing with an injury.   I lost all the achy feeling and the pain in the high hamstring area immediately post-op, so that was the sign for me that something different was going on.

Otium cum dignitate

Thanks for the reply.

I had a stabbing pain on the inside of the repaired leg last Friday.  Not what the pain was before the surgery, not nearly as intense, but still pretty startling for over 2 months out.  It's frustrating to not be able to understand what my body is telling me - I'm used to feeling something and being able to say 'that's a tight hamstring or a calf strain'.  Without a context, I feel like I don't have a clue, and sensitivity (and paranoia?) tends to be amplified.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

My MRI last Thursday on the left hip (the good one) confirms a labral tear as well. Sighhhhhhh.

Surgery is Wednesday for the revision on the right.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Hi, folks.  I had my labrum tear and FAI surgery done on January 6th.  I had microfracturing done, as well, to supplement thinning cartiledge.  My MD said that the labrum wasn't so much torn as "in tatters", so he used metal sutures to sew it back together.  So, I'm going on 2 1/2 months post-surgery and am still feeling occasional pain.  The PT is trying to be upbeat, but admits this may be a sign that the procedure wasn't successful, which is pretty discouraging.  Without any frame of reference, it's hard to tell what's normal post-op pain and what's not.  Can anyone else relate to or comment on this?

Unfortunately in my case, the pain I experienced (groin, low back pain) turned out to be because of an unsuccessful procedure. I am having a revision in 2 days.

However, groin pain can also mean a tight hip flexor (iliopsoas). Are you doing stretches for that as well?

Otium cum dignitate

Sorry to hear about your MRI results!

I ran and did yoga like a crazy person before the surgery thinking I might somehow store up the benefits for after, but this pretty clearly didn't work as I'd hoped.  I'm stretching as much as I can now.  Saw the PT yesterday, she said working through scar tissue can feel similar to the pre-op pain, hoping it's that.  The MD didn't find bone on bone when he went in, but he said it was close to that near the impingement, so I don't have enough cartiledge for a second try.  My next stop is joint replacement ...

I look my best blurry!

I hope the surgery goes well.  I have a friend who has had 2 revisions and is running well now.  I caught him running in an ice storm last month.  Crazy.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My MRI last Thursday on the left hip (the good one) confirms a labral tear as well. Sighhhhhhh.

Oh man.     

Hang in there.  We all know how much this sucks.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Welcome to the super special club.

Good luck on Wednesday!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I am alive and well. He reconstructed the labrum with a cadaver graft. I am non weight bearing until further notice. I had a femoral block but I'm still a bit sore. I bought an ice machine off ebay a few weeks ago. Best. Purchase. Ever.

I look my best blurry!

Glad the surgery went well.  Do exactly what you are told!!!  I know it's hard!!!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Definitely. I want no setbacks this time. I miss my old life and want to get back to it!