Racing: Quality vs. Quantity (Read 146 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Is this quantity or quality?

date place distance time
    8/10 Monaco 3000 7:25.16
    8/14 Zurich 5000 12:45.09
    8/16 Cologne 1500 3:34.17
    8/23 Brussels 3000 7:25.87
    8/30 Berlin 5000 13:02.62
    9/1 Rieti 3000 7:20.67

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

date place distance time

Yes.

Birdwell

date place distance time

Wow AP! You've gotten pretty quick lately!

date place distance time

i think we would all take Komen's ONE 7:20 over ALL of the other races combined...

so, quantity?

Slight variation in NPADENs response.  Quality overall -  a few target races.  But quantity translates to quality for training.  Non goal 5ks are great for forcing a good tempo run.

Village people

date place distance time

Looks like a mice vaction to me.

Just a dude.

date place distance time

Wow... Um. I'd guess that was a quantity of quality races. The 5k/3k back to back at the end is a really quick turn around in two places only about 900 miles apart.

Who's racing schedule was this?

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

And we run because we like it
                  Through the broad bright land

Birdwell

Looks like a mice vaction to me.

A mice vacation? Oh, you must be talking about Euro-Disney.

I mentioned just this the other day. Maybe that off the cuff comment helped spur such a thread as this. I doubt it but maybe.

Quality.

I'd rather run just a few "big" races a year, whether they be a large event or even a small obscure meet but those there are running for a fast time, than many dozens of so-so races in a year.

Re: Komen, yes he ran a string of great races in a relatively short time, like Rono did some 20  years before that, but running at that level is about quality and striking when it's hot.  Komen had a relatively short career, not about quanity.

xhristopher

I mentioned just this the other day. Maybe that off the cuff comment helped spur such a thread as this. I doubt it but maybe.

Quality.

I'd rather run just a few "big" races a year, whether they be a large event or even a small obscure meet but those there are running for a fast time, than many dozens of so-so races in a year.

Re: Komen, yes he ran a string of great races in a relatively short time, like Rono did some 20  years before that, but running at that level is about quality and striking when it's hot.  Komen had a relatively short career, not about quanity.

Thanks for your comment speedy trackrat!

To answer your first point, no it wasn't the inspiration for this thread.

memememe76

When I travel, I try my hardest to find a race that fits my itinerary. I may or may not be in my best running shape (and if the race occurs at the end of my trip, oops, probably have been eating and drinking too much and just walking all over the place), but who cares? I'm not *not* going to do the race.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow... Um. I'd guess that was a quantity of quality races. The 5k/3k back to back at the end is a really quick turn around in two places only about 900 miles apart.

Who's racing schedule was this?

-Kelly

The commentary on that 3000 in Rieti is pretty fun to hear (Steve Cram is one of the commentators).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

some call me Tim

This is really relevant to the area I live in.. I don't know how common it is, but here's the thing:

The guy that does the local race results website started keeping track of the top serial racers as well as the top race mileage accumulators, and with all of it being tracked, he really spurred some people to compete in that arena. The current record is somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 races in a year. Granted, most are 5ks, but there are a few marathons and such mixed in. Yes, the people in the upper echelon are not just driven runners but socially compulsive. And no, they're not concerned with getting the best from themselves for any given distance. Some weekends they cross the finish and jump in the car in order to make as many as 5 races in a two day period. It interferes with a standard training cycle. It costs too much in entry fees. It breaks them down.

I would NEVER do it... in fact I think it's silly, but I can't deny that they're chasing something that's probably as logical as what I'm doing. And hell, I see their friendly faces out at just about every race I show up to. We both like bananas and beer, and I ask such familiar questions..

How's the hamstring? Piriformis?

Are those dorky Altas doing you any good?

Where are you in the standings this year?

Village people

A mice vacation? Oh, you must be talking about Euro-Disney.

LOL. I need glasses.