Avoid Skin Cancer--I didn't (Read 892 times)

For some stupid reason I have chosen to run for over 3 decades w/o sun screen--actually never heard much about it till 10-15 yrs ago. Hats? Too hot. I look great with a tan. Well at age 64--I know--most of you will--hey old man what did you expect? I had a Basil Cell cancer removed from under my nose in 2002--20 stiches. Plastic surgeon did a great job. In early 2004 had a Squamous skin cancer removed from my cheek --below my left eye. 40 stitches--another great patch job by the plastic surgeon. I had a small mole removed from my forearm on Monday. The dermatologist wasn't concerned. Well Fri he called. 1 hr later I was under the knife--a Melonoma--scary. I have a large, long ugly incision --plus a bunch of removed tissue. The good news for me is that the biopsy showed he got it all. I share this to maybe get your attention. My doctor advises me he is seeing a lot of folks--much younger than me-- with skin cancers. Do yoursef a favor. Sun screen/hats/protective clothes--even if it is hot. Run in the early morning--before sun up or after sunset. I didnt. Over 65,000 miles. I am paying a price. I hope none of you have to. Hope I didn't sound too preachy. Nick
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Amen brother. Run with sunscreen or run at night!
      btb1490

You need to be preachy about certain things! Thanks for the message and I hope this episode is the last one for you.
          Thanks for sharing, Nick, hope you heal quickly - and hope this is the last of it for you.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

GP160

Good advice. I always wear SPF, even in the winter months!
            Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
            happybarb

Cellcom 2012

Nick, I am sorry to hear about the melanoma. It's good news that they got it all. Thanks for the message, and Nick, when you say something, we all need to listen....don't worry about sounding "preachy."!! Barb
                Thanks for sharing Nick. It's one of those things that you think will never happen to you, so it's great to share and make people aware that it DOES happen to people like us (aka runners). It's really good news that he got it all this time.

tech geek

Thanks Nick. I am a new runner, and I would not have stopped to think to put on sunscreen when I run.

New Runner

You know, sunscreen is something I haven't thought too much about. I never spent too much time out in the sun. But now that I've picked up this running habit, it's something I definitely need to think about.

Another Passion

Valuable post, Nick. I hope you have no further issues. Thanks for sharing this.

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Imminent Catastrophe

Good post Nick, I've had five, count 'em, five basal cells removed from my face. Mary Ann says scars "give me character". My dermatologist has a "buy five, get one free" special going, just for me Big grin. Also a pre-melanomic mole from my wrist. Scary. You'll never catch me running without a hat or sunscreen. Also, know the symptoms of skin cancers, I've caught all mine early because I know what to look for.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks for posting more great advice, Nick. Your "preaching" is always important and helpful; keep it coming. So sorry to hear about the melanoma - even more glad to hear doc got it all. FWIW - I read about Neutragena Active sunblock on that other running site that shall remains nameless a few years ago. It's wonderful, and now I wear it on every run between the first day of spring and the first day of fall. May be too late to counter the sun exposure this fair-skinned, fair-haired, blue-eyed girl unwisely got for too many years before that, but I haven't had the slightest sunburn since - even after 2+-hour kayaking trips and 8+ hours on a sailboat. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thanks, Nick. Best of luck -- hopefully no more problems. A few other thoughts: 1) See a dermatologist regularly. (once every year or two). Have them look at any suspicious moles and make a record of size/color (pictures are good). And always keep an eye on your body for any changes with regards to your skins/moles. 2) Eye protection is super important, too. Be sure to wear sunglasses with good UV blocking. This is a year-round thing -- glare from snow can be murder on your eyes. 3) Speaking of snow, one of the worst sunburns I've ever gotten was after a ski vacation without ample sunblock for my face. Don't be fooled by the cold and snow -- "use protection." 4) Put your sunscreen on 15~30 minutes before you expect to be out in the sun.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks for the warning.. I was never careful.. Im only 24 but I have freckles and moles all over. I think its about that time to call the dermatologist
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

FWIW - I read about Neutragena Active sunblock on that other running site that shall remains nameless a few years ago. It's wonderful, and now I wear it on every run between the first day of spring and the first day of fall. May be too late to counter the sun exposure this fair-skinned, fair-haired, blue-eyed girl unwisely got for too many years before that, but I haven't had the slightest sunburn since - even after 2+-hour kayaking trips and 8+ hours on a sailboat. Eliz
                                Thanks for the recommendation. I have a hard time finding sunblocks that don't sweat off. I sweat...a LOT. Like a pig. Wait, pigs and horses got nothin' on me. I have been known to lose 3-5#s on an hour run with plenty of fluids with me. Does this stuff stick well, at least in terms of actual UV protection during a run? I still have to avoid sunblocks on my face, since they always sweat into my eyes and make running with my eyes open impossible. But I always run with a brimmed wicking hat and shades--my eyes are one thing I won't mess with, as Jeff pointed out (UV damage causes cataracts). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay