Anyone planning on throwing their kids' Easter candy out? (Read 912 times)

Member Since 2008

Trent, have you not ever had an Easter basket, brought by the Easter Bunny and filled with all kinds of treats and toys? It's kind of like a mini Christmas, without the fat jolly guy.
    Lisa3.1

Our son got an Easter egg made of sugar, which he didn't eat too much of, but it made him hyper nonetheless. Other than that, we didn't get much else for candies. Easter brunch was good enough.

A Saucy Wench

I dont get them much. dd ate the ears off her bunny and said she was done, so her candy will last forever..unless I eat it. ds ate his bunny until we took it away and he saw it later and started begging (then crying/screaming etc when we said no). Fortunately he cant climb high enough to get it on his own. When I was a kid my halloween candy always lasted til Xmas, my Xmas candy til easter and my easter candy at least until July or so. Wish I had that kind of restraint now.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I put ours in a zip bag and put it in the outside deep freezer. I have to have a real craving to go through the process of digging it out and it's just too embarrassing to go back and double dip when my family is listening to me rustle around like a desperate squirrel. Blush ( Stash is vital to have - one never knows when a chocolate attack may happen)
          We do this too! You can almost forget it's there! When it's frozen, it takes longer to eat so you really only get through one or two pieces before the craving stops. It has really helped us! Currently, our freezer has more candy in it than food!

2012 Goals: Get back into it after having a baby! Prep for a 1/2 marathon

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent, have you not ever had an Easter basket, brought by the Easter Bunny and filled with all kinds of treats and toys? It's kind of like a mini Christmas, without the fat jolly guy.
            No. Cool
              I brought in a large bowl of his candy to work, and last night I threw out the leftover chocolate cake I made for Easter dinner, with the excuse that the frosting had melted and it was no good anymore. No, frosting doesn't melt. But it was a good excuse, and my 5 year old totally agreed with me on tossing it out. Big grin He still has a basket full of chocolate, thanks to 2 sets of grandparents & a couple of aunts. But we've hidden it, just like we hid the Valentines day candy (and we still have leftovers from that, too!!). Yeah, I'm mean. Tongue

Michelle

You're welcome to steal this little trick from my books: We generally don't buy any sort of junk food in our house, but when it starts to build up I tell my wife that I'm going on a "junk food drive." I work really hard to purge the house of all junk food, ie. eat it all, so we're no longer tempted by it, then we cut ourselves off cold turkey. This way you only have one week of feeling gross from sugary calories, and can feel proud of your self control in the upcoming days. Instead of feeling guilty for a month, you only feel guilty for one week. Big grin My theory is that this dramatically increases self esteem in us athletic types. We are actually doing the world a favour by doing this.
                  Another thing... An issue of Runners world around X-mas time had a little trick in dealing with sweets. Apparently if one binges and decides to cut themselves off cold turkey they are destined to failure because your body will immediately start craving the high sugar snacks, making you more likely to binge again and repeat the cycle. To beat this vicious cycle, after a "binge", you're supposed to eat a lot of fruit the next morning and throughout the day, which will apparently balance your blood sugar levels so you don't crash and overconsume more junk in response!
                  Kimmie

All good ideas.. I don't even feel like I eat that much candy, but just a few of the small ones for 3 days in a row and I'm feeling fat. Shocked
                      We had a brilliant solution when I was growing up. We (kids) were allowed candy or sweets only after one meal per week - Sunday lunch which was the main meal of the day. We were allowed to pretty much pig out, but when we left the table, it was no more candy, sweets, desserts of any kind until the following Sunday after lunch. Special occasions excepted (birthdays, guests, etc). This meant no browsing, no between-meal appetite spoiling, you knew not to even ask or beg. It worked quite well as a throttle - we didn't feel deprived, and had something to look forward to. I need to institute something like that for my kids now. Seems like the year is one nonstop series of sweets-related holidays, special occasions, and exceptions to any kind of rule we can put in place. Currently the only major rule in place is Halloween - they get 1 day to play in their pile of candy and then it goes in the trash. They have the option of dumping it themselves or having it disappear.
                        Instead of throwing away candy, please GIVE it away. Either to homeless people on the streets or a soup kitchen or something. We used to do this with some of our halloween candy. (I dont remember if we gave away 10% or 50% or what, but we learned that there are poor kids who dont get any candy because their parents cant afford it and we got to pick out the things we didnt like. In retrospect, I think all poor kids eat is candy and junk food, but it still made an impression on me.) Trent - heard of purim? I couldnt believe how much junk was on the "communal" table. There was yummy looking stuff there for 2 days. And I still have a yummy chocolate bar in my house - after finishing pastries, dried fruit, etc. Of course my packages were the best - they had grapes and strawberries to balance out the candy and stuff. (And I got in a lot of blessings - and we all know its all about how many blessings you can get in!)
                          You have any M&Ms? or Butterfinger eggs? Big grin Man, I should of gone to Albertosans on Monday.

Vim

Sulli42

All things in moderation people, all things in moderation. And yes, this includes running.
                              I swear, I think if I would bleed pastel colors if I got a paper cut or something. I have eaten sooooo many speckled eggs it isn't funny!! Oh, and lets not talk about chocolates. A family friend made and gave us a whole bunch of dark chocolate eggs stuffed with fresh soft coconut - they are amazing!!! I've actually hidden a bunch from the rest of the family, how's that for being a mean mom! Evil grin Of course the jokes on me since I think I've gained a couple of pounds in the past week! Roll eyes

Michelle

My running partner!

We didn't have to worry this year since my running partner ( our dog) at all the candy from the baskets while we were at church! Last year he ate all the eggs, so this year I remembered to put those away, but forgot about the baskets.
                                Kat