So want to do 5k in 25 minutes (Read 691 times)

Lane

Every one is different, and I would probably be capable of 15 minute 5k easily after 18 months of running if... 

Dude.  Sorry you've got nasty stuff happening to your lungs but come on.  15 minute 5k after 18 months of running?  Possible but preposterously rare.

The best training this guy could do is to go for some jogs with TheManFromNantucket.

running metalhead

Dude.  Sorry you've got nasty stuff happening to your lungs but come on.  15 minute 5k after 18 months of running?  Possible but preposterously rare.

The best training this guy could do is to go for some jogs with TheManFromNantucket.

I guess it's a typo.

Or he was running too close to a nuclear plant when a Gamma Ray Explosion happened and he got bitten by a radioactive chetaa.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Lane, thanks for thinking of me, haven't been running much lately, been climbing my ass off. Listen Mystery Man, there are some haters on this site for sure, 15min. 5k in year and a half is perfectly doable, just keep on keepin' on. But, give that damn leg a rest first, and you'll be fine. Lotta people haul ass here, and a lot don't. Stick around for awhile and you'll figure it out for yourself.

kilkee

runktrun

You callin' me a hater?

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Nope^^^

mikeymike

just keep on keepin' on.

Pretty much the best advice there is. All you need to know, really.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

I guess it's a typo.

Or he was running too close to a nuclear plant when a Gamma Ray Explosion happened and he got bitten by a radioactive chetaa.

..a radioactive chetaa    !!!

There's a nuclear plant down the road from me.......hmmmmmmm

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Apparently you need a max heart rate of 220 bpm to be a sub 15 minute 5k runner 

Where do you get this stuff???  My max wasn't over 190 when I was in that kind of shape.

You know I'd make some snarky comment about how silly thinking of mid-teen 5Ks are for someone running 30+ min 5Ks except I know it's possible.  My first 2-mile race was 27:30 and I ended up running sub-5 pace for 10K (roughly equivalent to 14:40-14:50 5K).

The difference is, the 27:30 was at age 12 and the peak was at age 28 with roughly 45,000 miles run in between.  Instead of just talking a big game I got out there and trained progressively harder.  I listened to good advice given to me.  Things you are not doing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

That does take some ability to do that but not all that rare. The number of US college runners capable of sub 15s in that time frame would be in the 100s. It's called talent.

#artbydmcbride

That does take some ability to do that but not all that rare. The number of US college runners capable of sub 15s in that time frame would be in the 100s. It's called talent.

Did they start that 18 months running 33 minutes for 3 miles?

Runners run

npaden

Did they start that 18 months running 33 minutes for 3 miles?

Where did you see that?

He stated that he thinks if he went flat out for 3 miles he could do it in 33 minutes.  I don't believe he's actually ever done that.  My guess is that he would get injured at about mile 2.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Feeling the growl again

Talented people don't start off running 5Ks in the 30s unless they weigh 400 lbs.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Talented people don't start off running 5Ks in the 30s unless they weigh 400 lbs.

That wasn't the point.

Nevertheless, this thread and its convolutions are to be taken with ample grains of salt. Can only speak for myself but I'm here for the entertainment value.  Cheap thrills.

TheMysteryOne

I guess it's a typo.

Are you a retarded troll that can't read? I had lymphoma, yeah I know thats a big word for you, I had radiation to chest which has left me with a reduced CO diffusion  capacity because though the other measurements from my lungs are above average, I could have been a great, maybe close  to olympic qualyfying standard (I'm not saying I'd be a male Paula Radcliff or anything, just that I'd have been very strong compared to the average person), without said radiation and blemoycin.

I can still be a very good runner with enough training I feel but nothing special unless things like stem cell tech come a lot quicker than I expect them to come.  I know that because I have hardly trained much due to injury and yet I am able to go faster over 1 mile now than I could when I had cancer and when I had cancer it was the lack of improvement from training that alerted the docs to my illness....  When I was young and did no football training I wasn't too far behind those folk who did fitness every day (I am pretty confident if I had done as much fitness stuff as them I would have left all but one or two of them for dead)... Not bad for 5ft1 at the time and they where like 5ft 5 on average in 3rd year, I am 5ft3.3 now but I have good legs when they are not injured. My dad could run 5 minute miles when he was 2 years older than I am now he could do that for 6 MILES! Hes a bit taller than me but only a bit. I regret my dad didn't use his talent more, when stem cells come for lungs I will be getting them once the risk of cancer is very low (at first the risk of cancer will be 1 in 10 or so, far too high when I don't actually have a disease at present, just reduced sporting capacity), Imagine going sub 15 minute 5k at 35 or something like that... Hoping in 8-9 years they have not only mastered the tech but have reduced the risk of cancer from stem cells injections into the lungs so vanity people like myself can run pb's!

TheMysteryOne

Where do you get this stuff???  My max wasn't over 190 when I was in that kind of shape.

You know I'd make some snarky comment about how silly thinking of mid-teen 5Ks are for someone running 30+ min 5Ks except I know it's possible.  My first 2-mile race was 27:30 and I ended up running sub-5 pace for 10K (roughly equivalent to 14:40-14:50 5K).

The difference is, the 27:30 was at age 12 and the peak was at age 28 with roughly 45,000 miles run in between.  Instead of just talking a big game I got out there and trained progressively harder.  I listened to good advice given to me.  Things you are not doing.

I did listen this place is troll central. Today in ice and not pushing too hard I managed 0.75 miles in 7.23, quads a little tight again but less so than after the Edinburgh 500ft hill climb race which was done with no ice but far colder conditions and crazy wind for that race.  As I say I think 33 minutes for 3 miles in a few weeks is very doable once my injury has healed further. I think just now going to do one light run every 8 days or so, a couple of cross training sessions. I am using a book with actual scientific advice, and unlike some of the idiots on here this book says cross training is great for both coming back from an injury and for making world class guys better, if it can work for world class athletes, and this book names several who dropped milage form 80 to 60 miles a week and added in x-training, why cant it work for me who is wanting to slowly get up to 10 miles a week, then 20 miles a week, at first I will use 8% increase a week till I feel I am in the green zone injury wise then I will increase by 11%, 13% and then 15% each week (and staying there) but with a week every 3-4 weeks where I have a drop to let legs recover by going back to the previous level a week before the last increase.  This book says 40% should be tempo unless you run marathons in which case tempo/speed work should only be 20% or if you run more than 45 miles a week ( no danger of that for quite a while) Its a book from a guy Matt Fitzgerald of Runners World.