So want to do 5k in 25 minutes (Read 691 times)

TheMysteryOne

Talented people don't start off running 5Ks in the 30s unless they weigh 400 lbs.

They do if they have had radiation to lungs and beleomycin. I might be a super responder to exercise or something. I find that if I can get more mileage in suddenly I get a big jump in performance, this time I need to take more care to nurse this injury back for another 3-4 weeks then really push but in a sensible manner. You guys will see. And if in some tard in 18 months said "you only run a 5k in 15.30 not 15.00" I'l say "well its a lot closer than you said I could get to it".

TheMysteryOne

Would love to run a 5K in Edinbburgh.

Maybe i can get over there sometime and help you with pacing.  

Thanks! A relevant and kind response 

Feeling the growl again

I might be a super responder to exercise or something. 

You might be the next $200 million Powerball winner too.  But if you started talking about the yacht you're going to buy like it's a done deal you should expect about the same reception in response.

I actually trained from a 27:30 2-mile to a 15:18 5K.  It took SIXTEEN YEARS, and I had youth on my side and a far smaller weight problem to overcome.

I can appreciate big dreams and the will to be faster than any realistic projection would call for.  But save the boasting about what a sure thing it is until you've done it or it's within reason.

I can remember a time cooling down with a training partner after a set of 10X1000m at 3:06 pace.  We lamented about how cool it would be to string those together and run sub-31:00 for 10K.  Three years later I actually did it, but I didn't go out the next day talking like it was in the bag.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am always mystified by runners doing speed work outs but have very weak base/foundation. 25k in 25:00 is doable.I did not see a time frame or your AG. How closely are you following the guidelines in the book you are using? Do not ask questions if you only want "you got this"replies.

January, 2015: 3.8 mi 46:51
          December: 12.0 mi 2:40:31
          November: 9.7 mi 2:28:07
          October: 9.9 mi 2:23:01
          September: 0.0 mi 0:00

12/3/2014

GYM

Tempo 1.0 mi 9:47 9:47 104 R

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

TheMysteryOne

I am always mystified by runners doing speed work outs but have very weak base/foundation. 25k in 25:00 is doable.I did not see a time frame or your AG. How closely are you following the guidelines in the book you are using? Do not ask questions if you only want "you got this"replies.

12/3/2014

GYM

I am following the guidelines as far as I have read ahead to, still need to finish most of the chapter on flexibility exercises but I have already changed my strength exercise to more runner specific exercises whilst keeping a baseline of non runner exercises constant. I need to slightly tweek if my legs are feeling more dodgy than anticipated. 8 weeks for muscles to heal it says plus if you're running once every 8 days or so add another 2 weeks recovery so I am a few weeks away from when I can follow the actual run plans at moment following a rehab plan quite losely but following the general principles this book and an online site I found recommended. I also roll my quads now which has helped a bit. Foam rollers. Yeah the last month has been better so far in terms of pace. I did interval like training recently but not with the same intensity one would do for proper intervals, because of snow and because of taking it easy on my recovering legs. Being able to start doing 10 miles in a few weeks is more key than going fast just now.

TheMysteryOne

You might be the next $200 million Powerball winner too.  But if you started talking about the yacht you're going to buy like it's a done deal you should expect about the same reception in response.

I actually trained from a 27:30 2-mile to a 15:18 5K.  It took SIXTEEN YEARS, and I had youth on my side and a far smaller weight problem to overcome.

I can appreciate big dreams and the will to be faster than any realistic projection would call for.  But save the boasting about what a sure thing it is until you've done it or it's within reason.

I can remember a time cooling down with a training partner after a set of 10X1000m at 3:06 pace.  We lamented about how cool it would be to string those together and run sub-31:00 for 10K.  Three years later I actually did it, but I didn't go out the next day talking like it was in the bag.

Ya I know but right now I am getting fitter off of just walking and one run every 8-9 days or so I plan to do, Was initially planning no runs and just x-training but legs are feeling a bit better than anticipated, next run I do though I will probably go slower than what I did for my last one. I am just saying if I rehabilitate my legs right then when I actually start doing 10 miles a week, then 12 etc I will get a lot better. I was just on the cusp of a massive increase in performance when I got re-injured. 9.47 was my best time for mile but that was after 4 miles in a row at quite a hard pace, once I get my mileage up to safely attempt a flat out mile my fitness if back to that level or better should be able to beat a 9.47 mile as I had a fair amount left in the tank on that run. My first goal is actually for my top walking speed to increase past 4.5,4.5 is the max i feel comfortable doing for my quads sake, jogging at 5 mph is actually safer for them than walking faster than 4.5 I feel! I plan to increase my top speed not by much speed work but just getting on the elliptical, doing progressively longer walks and doing a varied program of running on my infrequent runs. Hopefully in 2-4 weeks I can start a formal running plan rather than sort of stringing one together based on my book and how my legs feel at the time.  My dad also runs and he plans to do a 2 mile run every 4 weeks my mum is going to start too and do the same run every 4 weeks so for me it will be every 2 weeks but as yet I don't have the details of when these runs will be so I can plan a schedule round them.

RunNow

My dad also runs and he plans to do a 2 mile run every 4 weeks my mum is going to start too and do the same run every 4 weeks so for me it will be every 2 weeks but as yet I don't have the details of when these runs will be so I can plan a schedule round them.

Wait...are you like a teenager or something? That would explain a few things.

TheMysteryOne

Wait...are you like a teenager or something? That would explain a few things.

No but we (my family) are close.  It would explain why you are trolling again. And why some folk did not read my explanation about why my lung has scaring, fecking tards. Mild scaring but scaring none the less.  Its a great run local event, its on every week but its not that LOCAL for us. He runs but we never train together usually, he asked sometimes but I have been injured or sticking to a plan. He makes me feel guilty if I dont go with him. Any way its not as much of an issue now as he wants me to be able to run 20 minutes for the 2 mile, I want to be able to do that whilst not pushing so it will be 6 or 7 weeks before I can do 20 minutes for 2 miles without being at tempo pace I feel. Right now it would be race pace. As for my mum she is going to be starting running. As it will be only definite chance I get to train with him and he asks a lot I need to know when, he has now agreed he will take me every 2 week regardless of him running or not, I need the lift as its early and on a SUNAY where I live there are few buses and you'd have to get them crazy early and then drag running stuff with you a mile to get to the location. thanks again for making yourself look like a no nothing troll sniper

TheMysteryOne

12/3/2014

GYM

2 days ago managed to do my first strength workout fully devised based on the principles in the book.  8 exercises 5 types as the book recommends you should do these are; plantar flexion, twist, bend, lunge, push/pull It recommends you do 1-2 of each exercise and also balance muscle groups so if you do a "STANDING MULTI CRUNCH" which is a pull exercise that works the abs, you should do the "STANDING RESISTANCE CHEST PRESS" which works the spinal errector (i think its called that) and the arms.  There are three workout types, light to build endurance these are 10-15 reps of exercises classed as resistance, and for body weight exercises 2 fewer than perfect from, 30 secs rest between sets, circuit fashion, do 1-3 sets. I do 2 for times sake.  Heavy which builds max muscles strength which is 8-10 reps, or 1 fewer than you can do with perfect form, 60 secs rest between sets, again in circuit, 1-3 sets, I do 2.

Power: 8-12 reps for resistance exercises, 1 minute of continual activity for body weight exercises. 45 secs rest between sets, these build speed and power, again in a circuit.

When Designing a workout it says for types 1-4 only do 1-2 for balanced and 3-4 for a hard workout in that type of exercise, for 5 which is push/pull you can do up to 3-4 in balanced provided 2 are push 2 are pull, and 5-6 is a hard workout. If doing a hard workout in a type of exercise then do a lighter one in that area the next time, followed by a balanced the following time after ( so as to avoid yo-yoing between only 2 workout types). Right now I have developed 2 workout plans for light workouts, A is balanced by B I plan to make a C which doesnt really balance B as B is quite neutral, A is neutral too bar being lunge heavy (3 of these type) C fixes the lack of pushing exercise In B is my plan.  Two days AGO I did a workout IN A, I am DOING B today.  Workout D Will incorporate some of the exercises I havent used in A, B,C or D, plus some of my favourites from the others but again quite balanced, it will be a longer work out, B is a faster workout and E will be a faster workout that works harder on the things D only did lightly/balanced but skims or skips any thing D worked really hard (within max allowed by book). Their may be an F if needed.

Once I have devised those I will be on to making my Heavy and power workouts. I may well just have a few tweaks to make for the heavy workouts following same theme for the other ones i made for light swapping a few exercise and just modying steps. For power I will likely only need 2-3 workouts and they will be designed so that the heavy and light workouts complement them.

Workout A was

2 SETS

Step calf raises, multi resistance crunch  20kg total, Balancing resistance chest press 10kg per arm, Walking lunges (3kg dumbell in hands), Good mornings (with 3kg dumbells), Stepups on vibration plate, Side steups (hip abductor exercise). More details will be in my log later on.

Reading between the lines of the cross training book the following exercises are likely good for runners:

Lat pull down, chest press, shoulder press, machine weighted row, rower, Lateral Raise.

Less or non useful weight exercises for runners (unless your doing a course with obstacles too..):

Bicept curls, tricept curls, tricept dips etc

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

2 days ago managed to do my first strength workout fully devised based on the principles in the book.  8 exercises 5 types as the book recommends you should do these are; plantar flexion, twist, bend, lunge, push/pull It recommends you do 1-2 of each exercise and also balance muscle groups so if you do a "STANDING MULTI CRUNCH" which is a pull exercise that works the abs, you should do the "STANDING RESISTANCE CHEST PRESS" which works the spinal errector (i think its called that) and the arms.  There are three workout types, light to build endurance these are 10-15 reps of exercises classed as resistance, and for body weight exercises 2 fewer than perfect from, 30 secs rest between sets, circuit fashion, do 1-3 sets. I do 2 for times sake.  Heavy which builds max muscles strength which is 8-10 reps, or 1 fewer than you can do with perfect form, 60 secs rest between sets, again in circuit, 1-3 sets, I do 2.

Power: 8-12 reps for resistance exercises, 1 minute of continual activity for body weight exercises. 45 secs rest between sets, these build speed and power, again in a circuit.

When Designing a workout it says for types 1-4 only do 1-2 for balanced and 3-4 for a hard workout in that type of exercise, for 5 which is push/pull you can do up to 3-4 in balanced provided 2 are push 2 are pull, and 5-6 is a hard workout. If doing a hard workout in a type of exercise then do a lighter one in that area the next time, followed by a balanced the following time after ( so as to avoid yo-yoing between only 2 workout types). Right now I have developed 2 workout plans for light workouts, A is balanced by B I plan to make a C which doesnt really balance B as B is quite neutral, A is neutral too bar being lunge heavy (3 of these type) C fixes the lack of pushing exercise In B is my plan.  Two days AGO I did a workout IN A, I am DOING B today.  Workout D Will incorporate some of the exercises I havent used in A, B,C or D, plus some of my favourites from the others but again quite balanced, it will be a longer work out, B is a faster workout and E will be a faster workout that works harder on the things D only did lightly/balanced but skims or skips any thing D worked really hard (within max allowed by book). Their may be an F if needed.

Once I have devised those I will be on to making my Heavy and power workouts. I may well just have a few tweaks to make for the heavy workouts following same theme for the other ones i made for light swapping a few exercise and just modying steps. For power I will likely only need 2-3 workouts and they will be designed so that the heavy and light workouts complement them.

Workout A was

2 SETS

Step calf raises, multi resistance crunch  20kg total, Balancing resistance chest press 10kg per arm, Walking lunges (3kg dumbell in hands), Good mornings (with 3kg dumbells), Stepups on vibration plate, Side steups (hip abductor exercise). More details will be in my log later on.

Reading between the lines of the cross training book the following exercises are likely good for runners:

Lat pull down, chest press, shoulder press, machine weighted row, rower, Lateral Raise.

Less or non useful weight exercises for runners (unless your doing a course with obstacles too..):

Bicept curls, tricept curls, tricept dips etc

This is so complicated!!! Don't overthink things so much. This is where I started doing strength training

Nerd Fitness Beginner Bodyweight workout

From there, I started figuring out my own routines using this

You Are Your Own Gym

You wanna get in shape and be able to comfortably maintain it?

Do a couch to 5k program like this

http://www.c25k.com

And do that nerd fitness set 3 times a week.

Do it, and keep doing it.

Next year, start thinking about times, maybe.

TheMysteryOne

Thanks for the positive feed back! Looks interesting. But these strength workouts are specificially for buidling the arm or shoulder or ab muscles runners use, those links are more for general strength, I will be doing both general strength workout and those specific ones that focus a bit more on rear shoulder or rear arm muscles which are actually used in running.That site you gave me will be quite nice for some ideas for my general sessions. Right now I just do bicept curls (free weights), lat pull downs, shoulder press, chest press, seated row machines for general strength. I do 5 reps because I am looking for strength not bulk, 3 sets of 5 reps, have gone from barely being able to do 5kg to doing 25 on shoulder press and seated row, from 10kg lat pull down to 40kg lat pull down, I just set new pbs on these yesterday. I have updated my log but it does not include the B sheet I made up for light running exercises nor the general strength training exercises. I did 9.52 for a mile on the eliptical which is pretty decent I think! Eliptical is slower than running, at least in terms of faster speeds though its easier to go at 5mph for ever and ever on an elliptical.

Actually I just noticed the beginner one isnt that far from the A workout I did. I did bent over rows in b workout. I do 5kg 15 times, its a bit more than a gallon of milk i think...
                        TheMysteryOne

So managed to do 2.2mi at easy pace in 27.56 this week and today ran 1 mile at faster than tempo pace in 9.42 which is a new pb by 5 seconds, also did a new pb for 1km by dint of it  being first km I timed, ran it in 6 minutes. In the mile run I covered 156meters in 35 seconds at 10mph (treadmill no incline) which is 44 seconds for 200m if keeping to that pace, which is similar to a running prediction site saying my 200m time would be 43 and my own time prediction of 46 based on a 17s for 80.5m streatch I did in my easy run earlier this week (my easy run was outside).  I am intrested in running a 200m, my nearest track has faded lines so hard to tell 100m but easier with 200m as their are landmarks plus will measure with my GPS watch and put down some cones or something like that! something I dont mind if some thug steals!  Footballs not a good idea.. kids would steal those, the ugly smelly 15 year old kind! Leaving it 2 weeks till I next run in mean time will be doing elliptical and my workouts from Mat Fitzgeralds book and maybe throw in a bit of rowing machine at the end of each week (thursday/fridayish) 2km at easy pace.  I forget what my pb for 1km rowing is, I think it was like 6 minutes or 6.30. I know it wasn't 7 minutes or near to 7 minutes.

MY V02 MAX HAS INCREASED FROM 22 (BASED ON RACE IN EDINBURGH UP A MOUNTAIN, OK VERY VERY STEEP HILL) T0 28.6 (BASED ON TIME FOR 1 MILE INDOORS)

TheMysteryOne

So are the trolls still so sure I wont get to 5k in 25 minutes in a few months? I now ran 5.37 for 1km, 23 seconds faster than previous pb done on a treadmill, from last jan to this start of feb I have gone from over 15 minutes per mile to 9.03 mile pace (over 1km) over 6 minutes per mile increase done on mileage varying from very low (at first it was barely 1.5 times per week) to zero (some weeks more recently with injury) to at most 10 miles a week (that didnt last too long.... injury etc) I did latest time without legs feeling lively and with watching the quads like a hawk, I pushed but slowed down when I felt any tensing, as I say a lot of my potential can be unlocked just by avoiding injury, and by learning how to pace as really it was all down to setting the treadmill at 10.2 (which would have edged out my previous pb) and then slowly increasing it in very controlled manner, no 12 kmph pushes that risk injury or just going by the lactic threshold (tempo pace).

My legs and lungs have so much more to give just now than a 5.37, if I could just get these tightness away totally. Heading in the right direction I will continue to be patient and next run I do will be longer but a lot slower, will probably run next Thursday I am thinking. In mean time 15 mins elliptical followed by 30 mins elliptical is my plan (both at easy pace thanks to my playlist)  for next 2 gym sessions. Did side lunges today in part of my strength training so not doing those for a week either, arms feeling tired so will do less weight per exercise the next time I am in gym. Probably do more dumbbell running next time will have been near a week on thrusday between dumbbell running sessions. (Dumbbell run is just the arm motion of running!). Walking and elliptical are getting me fitter. Pitty this site only has "biking" so I am logging my elliptical miles under "bike"

Ya lost me with that side lunge, and dumbell run mumbo jumbo. I don't go to the gym, i do a quick lil' warm up and i'm out the door for a leisurely run. It seems as if there is SOME potential to unlock some serial speed, just be cool about it. I tweaked my friggin' groin back in Oct. still hurts a little. Ya just gotta be PATIENT my man, Spaniel took 16 years to whittle away a little time off to getf his PB 5k. I'm not sayin' ya gotta take that damn long, but once you feel things falling into place you'll know it. Strength and endurance are coming, it just takes time.

DigDug2

This is a bizarre thread.  There are two options:

1.  OP is an attention-seeking troll.  (Evidence:  combative responses, extreme goals/positions, comical level of detail in posts, not using a real name in registering for the Great Winter Run in Edinburgh, and calling anyone who questions him/her a troll.)  If this is the case, responding is futile.

2.  OP is not a troll.  (Evidence:  notwithstanding all of the above, OP seems relatively earnest and is devoting an extraordinary amount of time drafting thorough narratives about his/her training.)  If this is the case, OP needs to get a simple 5K training plan and follow it for 6 months, following up with a doctor on any persistent injury issues.  If OP spent half as much time actually training as he/she did writing the novellas in this thread and recording distances to the hundredth of a mile, he/she might actually see improvement.