So want to do 5k in 25 minutes (Read 691 times)

TheMysteryOne

Ya lost me with that side lunge, and dumbell run mumbo jumbo. I don't go to the gym, i do a quick lil' warm up and i'm out the door for a leisurely run. It seems as if there is SOME potential to unlock some serial speed, just be cool about it. I tweaked my friggin' groin back in Oct. still hurts a little. Ya just gotta be PATIENT my man, Spaniel took 16 years to whittle away a little time off to getf his PB 5k. I'm not sayin' ya gotta take that damn long, but once you feel things falling into place you'll know it. Strength and endurance are coming, it just takes time.

Thanks bud. Yeah I am trying to be, in some ways my legs whilst slowly healing are now actually ahead of what I though they where, can now do runs every 9 days I feel instead of 14. I need to maybe do a slow 2.4 mile (2.4 mile is about as long as I feel I should be running with them at this stage in there recovery balance between building endurance up and not reinjuring the injury. Permanent Yellow zone is icky at the moment lol.) Elliptical is good too but I find after more than 30 minutes I am bored and my quads start to say no thanks (for the time being) so limiting my elliptical sessions to 30 mins at most, if I do a 30 follow it up with a 15 next session I am in gym. i wish our gym had space for sit ups etc. They have a studio but its in use most of time at night... I will ask if the corridor which people use to do their sit ups if its actually meant/allowed to  be used , if so I am going to do my scorpion, plank, Russian twist etc there. Been wanting to do them but no space at home.

You seem an experience runner.  If I start doing 1 mile warm up at a very slow jog, should I include this jog and distance in my mileage or not? What about speed work? Is it just the summation of the actual intervals that count towards distance for the week or does the recovery laps/time also count? I fancy doing laps for recovery or 2 laps rather than time till I master the Garmin. I have other things to do right now so wont be reading the Garmin book till next Thursday  (probably friday).

Finally how does one safely train fast twitch muscles (for 100/200/400 (less so the 100 but getting down from 21 to 12 in a year or two would be amazing) but also become a good 5k/10k runner? I would prefer to be a better 5k runner than 10k but want my 10k maybe next year to be around 60 minutes, this year would be happy with 66-70 ish (I need to break 12 min miles for a 10k or my family would not let me enter as they say its embarrasing to run 12 minute miles in a 10k, 12 minute miles in an ultra marathon would be pretty handy tho...)

TheMysteryOne

This is a bizarre thread.  There are two options:

1.  OP is an attention-seeking troll.  (Evidence:  combative responses, extreme goals/positions, comical level of detail in posts, not using a real name in registering for the Great Winter Run in Edinburgh, and calling anyone who questions him/her a troll.)  If this is the case, responding is futile.

2.  OP is not a troll.  (Evidence:  notwithstanding all of the above, OP seems relatively earnest and is devoting an extraordinary amount of time drafting thorough narratives about his/her training.)  If this is the case, OP needs to get a simple 5K training plan and follow it for 6 months, following up with a doctor on any persistent injury issues.  If OP spent half as much time actually training as he/she did writing the novellas in this thread and recording distances to the hundredth of a mile, he/she might actually see improvement.

The combative replies are because people where trolling me, with there own combative replies, most negative, non related to what you say forum around. If you notice before I started getting folk not reading what I was writing or listening to why I was running flat out earlier (about2-3months ago) when injured "such as getting a letter from a doctor which concerned me one day so was eager to see if my fitness had improved or not" before I started getting the bs, troll replies I was quite amicable on here. Yeah idiots on this thread are extrapolating I cant fairly quickly break 25 mins for 5k because I started doing 15 minute miles when only 6-7lpbs outside normal weight range (I am now in healthy range but 5-6lbs to heavy for the ideal mid distance runner I think). Or the fact people aren't taking into account my low mileage. At the moment my plan is just to nurse the legs back into the green zone, its been a long process and I am not quite there yet but I can see the light. Just doing one run every 7-12 days and 2 elliptical sessions plus a lot of core work, strength work (most of which is geared towards the muscles runners use on back or back of arms or shoulders, but still do a bit of general strength as I want to be an all rounder, I also want to become bulkier temporarily later on this year as I want to enter an obstacle race)

0.6 miles was actually 1km, on a mill (I have it set to give distance on here in miles so the conversion to 0.6 isn't exact), so I don't get your point about recording everything accurately, I either have my phone for outdoors or the mill indoors so of course it will be to .x miles,  Also I did use a real name for the race where did you get the nerve to lie through your ass from?

I just didn't give it, or any other name to this forum because its full of trolls, saying make a plan when I am not up to running consistently yet cause of injury, once I am top of it, and this time my approach is working with it, I will be able to make one up, joining a club in april so they will make one for me.  Folk trolling me about having a scarred lung or idiots asking why I ran flat out a few months back when I told them THREE TIMES why, if you had a letter mentioning lung disease and you had been prevented for 2 weeks from running the first thing you would want to do would be test as soon as you came back if your lungs where deteriorating or not, thankfully they appeared not to be then, and arent now either as my times are getting faster slowly.

Of course I await another trollish reply from this forum, either not reading what I wrote (yet again sigh) or just plan inventing stuff like you did like "did not run Edinburgh in a real name" not sure how you came to that conclusion, I gave you a link to the run, not to my personal name . This forum is the most hateful running forum around populated by many non runners I am guessing (with the exception of about 5 posts such as the man from nantucket, a female members post and the guy that posted a link to workouts plus a few others).

I post on other running sites and surprisingly they don't mind me giving my times. So its not me, its the people on this forum that have a problem, a problem with reading skills and or empathy I guess.  Guess you just dont think going from 15 minute miles to 9.03 pace over 1km in one year with very low mileage and much reoccuring injury isn't indicative of someone that can do 5k in 25 mins. But as I say the trolls will be forced to eat their hate soon enough. Firstly I am seeing sports physio once next week is over, its a big week for me aside from running, more to life than running. And my new softly softly in terms of run frequency and mileage is working for my injury each week overall its getting less but still not clear yet., whilst i am at least gettting some aerobic fitness work in which is helping and am training the core and arms and back in the mean time.

Feeling the growl again

If people on this forum are so terrible, the only rational decision left is to not waste your time and go elsewhere.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

This is a bizarre thread.  There are two options:

1.  OP is an attention-seeking troll.  (Evidence:  combative responses, extreme goals/positions, comical level of detail in posts, not using a real name in registering for the Great Winter Run in Edinburgh, and calling anyone who questions him/her a troll.)  If this is the case, responding is futile.

2.  OP is not a troll.  (Evidence:  notwithstanding all of the above, OP seems relatively earnest and is devoting an extraordinary amount of time drafting thorough narratives about his/her training.)  If this is the case, OP needs to get a simple 5K training plan and follow it for 6 months, following up with a doctor on any persistent injury issues.  If OP spent half as much time actually training as he/she did writing the novellas in this thread and recording distances to the hundredth of a mile, he/she might actually see improvement.

Yup. Or maybe some strange sort of quantum superposition of 1 and 2.

I've been asked to add TheMysteryOne to the jester-o-matic, but I kind of don't see the point.

bhearn

You seem an experience runner. 

Here's a tip. You see the little graph thingy next to some users' names? That shows you their actual training, PRs, etc., if they have chosen to make their log public. Do you see one next to manfromnantucket's? No? Well that's OK, he's the expert, because he can run a 14-minute 5k without even trying.

No more marathons

Also I did use a real name for the race where did you get the nerve to lie through your ass from?

I just didn't give it, or any other name to this forum because its full of trolls, .

Umm.  You do realize that they publish the results of these races?  So by publishing your race and time you have told everyone who cares to look, exactly who you are.  But the time you posted doesn't match up with the finish position, so I guess you somewhat remain "the mystery one"!

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Let me tell you a fact about what I did at the gym this week. I didn’t run. Because I have some crazy foot disease that impinges my ankle on the posterior impingement angle whilst I run, making it painful for me to utilize all my muscles in a running motion. So I read 18 books on lifting for sprint running. After completing 2 chapters of half of the books, I did the exercises therein, whereby I hefted many weights proportional to the back and tri’s that are used in a running motion. This is where it gets crazy. My pizza box says “no pizza for seven days makes one week”. I think that makes a lot of sense for life. I haven’t run for seven days. And it has been a week. Those fuggin pizza boxes don’t lie. Anyway, I wish you good luck on your running odyssey. It sounds like it will be fun. Especially if you conquer the 48 meter sprint blast. Get that shite down to 8:09 per mile for a 7 fathom sprint and you’ll be golden lad. Carry on.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  mikeymike

Let me tell you a fact about what I did at the gym this week. I didn’t run. Because I have some crazy foot disease that impinges my ankle on the posterior impingement angle whilst I run, making it painful for me to utilize all my muscles in a running motion. So I read 18 books on lifting for sprint running. After completing 2 chapters of half of the books, I did the exercises therein, whereby I hefted many weights proportional to the back and tri’s that are used in a running motion. This is where it gets crazy. My pizza box says “no pizza for seven days makes one week”. I think that makes a lot of sense for life. I haven’t run for seven days. And it has been a week. Those fuggin pizza boxes don’t lie. Anyway, I wish you good luck on your running odyssey. It sounds like it will be fun. Especially if you conquer the 48 meter sprint blast. Get that shite down to 8:09 per mile for a 7 fathom sprint and you’ll be golden lad. Carry on.

Do you have any Katy Perry songs on your gym playlist brah?

Runners run

Do you have any Katy Perry songs on your gym playlist brah?

Is she the one who sings My name is not susan? If so, then hells yeah. I have Rebeccah at the front desk blast that funk.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                      bhearn

I've been asked to add TheMysteryOne to the jester-o-matic, but I kind of don't see the point.

I rest my case.

Joann Y

I rest my case.

Point taken. You may redact my request from the record.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I rest my case.

Your case is that Ntown already has one?

not lazy, just tired

Just wanted to poke my head in to say I love this thread.

Okay, carry on.

Not if it makes sense.

TheMysteryOne

Umm.  You do realize that they publish the results of these races?  So by publishing your race and time you have told everyone who cares to look, exactly who you are.  But the time you posted doesn't match up with the finish position, so I guess you somewhat remain "the mystery one"!

Huh My finish time was 39 something.  I did run the race and no they don't "publish" the results of every finisher in the newspapers, so hence I was 1800 ish out of 2100 or so, You would need my code, which your not getting. Until folk stop trolling.  There where 9 folk below me in my age group, its quite poor but not bad post cancer, and due to very little training due to injury. Today I ran 21.41 for 2 miles, up 2 big hills in the course which is a lot stronger than my crappy race performance. I have a gpx file to prove it, will upload later, I am not a tech expert. I guess you could go the page and search my time, but that would only give you a list of people it COULD be who ran the time to the same second...