Barefoot Running - The painful truth about trainers (Read 3941 times)

You'll have a hard time convincing me to run barefoot through a Saskatchewan winter Clowning around
    They have minimalist shoes for that. They are made in Finland I think. Bare Foot Ted talks about them.

chrimbler

They have minimalist shoes for that. They are made in Finland I think. [url=www.barefootted.com]Bare Foot Ted[/url] talks about them.
      Then it's not 'barefoot' running Big grin When it gets down to -40 deg C I'd like to keep my toes frost free!
      Run like you stole it!

Certifiably Insane

I cringe thinking of the surfaces I regularly run on...chip sealed rural roads (they lay down tar and then sharp gravel that eventually flattens out as cars drive over it and the sun heats it), snow, ice, broken beer bottles (rural roads = rednecks chucking bottles from their pick-up trucks), dog shit, roadkill, vibrators (no joke). No thanks, I'll keep my shoes. Dead
        Zoomy, I run on the exact same things here. It can be done, if you pick the right roads. Some are much smoother than others. Last summer, I decided to try working in some barefoot training. I started with a couple of blocks, and gradually worked up from there. Aside from a few streets near my house, I found that the city streets in general had way too many little rocks and sections of rough pavement to do it comfortably. What I found worked best, was to run in shoes until I got to the edge of town, take them off, and do my miles on the rural roads. Most of them are all chip-and-seal here, too. The newer the road surface, the rougher it is. One of the older roads was smooth enough that I was able to work my way up to 5 miles. The middle-school track I train on is definitely not feet-friendly, though. It was so rough I could barely make it 100 meters! I did notice that my pace was a WHOLE lot slower barefoot, too. Maybe that would get better with time, but I normally cruise at 7:30 - 8:00 pace on my easy runs. Without shoes, I was over 10:00, probably due to shifting my footstrike forward, and not really being able to push off with my forefoot. (I have a few dropped metatarsals, if I'm remembering what the ortho guy said, so the balls of my feet don't like much pressure on them.) The bottoms of my feet toughened up pretty well. I had to keep a eye open for glass and larger stones, so I didn't hurt myself, but as I said before, the tiny rocks were the worst, especially when the roads were wet and they stuck to my feet. Over time, that probably would have gotten better as my feet toughened more. The major difficulty I had with it was with my arches and metatarsal ends. I run in orthotics, and I can't really do a whole lot on my feet without them. I like the idea of running with nothing or minimal footwear, though. I have even done strides on the roads in my beach shoes in the past. (Just like the Nike Free's, but without the ridiculous price.) I probably should work in some short runs in them. Now that I've heard several people mention the FiveFingers (I wear 10.5's, though. Big grin) I'm interested in checking those out, or things similar to them. Whatever I try, though, I'll have to put some kind of arch support in them, or I won't be going far. This has been encouraging. I'll have to look more into this, and maybe give it another try.
        On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30

Certainly Something...

I started down this path last year. I used to run XC in HS, but never ran outside of season. I read an article about a guy walking barefoot and how it was more natural. He was mainly talking about stalking prey in picnic areas. This wasn't about running in the slightest. I hadn't really moved much in two years, smoked all the time, drank around 7 beers a night. So I quit smoking and started running. (Sadly I smoke on and off again now.) I ran on my forefoot in just regular shoes to start building up muscles to go more natural style, did pretty good through the summer slacked off more when school started. This year I set my goal at 365 miles. Forefoot Running for Stu breakdown: Running shoes = not bad originally, now I'm not a huge fan. Though, I still run in cleats all the time. You can feel your foot being "guided" by the shoes, and the padding in the back makes it a bit strange. Plus they are heavy mang. Huaraches = actually pretty dang cool, though if your foot bed is pretty thick you notice it more than the the running shoes. But it is a nice free feeling. Running in these also informed me of why I hurt my knee in trainers. I have an old turf toe injury that was making me roll out on my right leg (to small toe, instead of off pad). Also that I was keeping my right leg almost directly underneath me. You seem to notice things a little more when you are exposed. I've adjusted appropriately, and maintain a weary eye for those issues popping up in my stride again. Though I couldn't resist the vibram urge, so I bought some classics. Vibram Five Fingers Classic = Awesome. Strides are good. Moving into these "shoes" has really made running awesome. You feel nice and free, but you don't have to worry about stepping on a vertical stick. Trail running in these is also, "Wicked Sweet." Hey stu do you like running? No. I think it's awesome. Currently I'm working on getting my daily mileage up so I can start pushing up my longer runs. After a year of work, I would say that even in cleats, I never put my foot down anymore. Granted my miles aren't very high, but I am extremely lazy. Need to go run a race. This summer I'm slipping off my vibrams now and again to do some actual barefooting. I also hope to decimate my goal by mid summer.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The time I stepped on a furniture tack last year and it poked through the shoe and into my foot pretty much sealed the deal for me; the only barefooy running I will every do is sprints on a football field.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The time I stepped on a furniture tack last year and it poked through the shoe and into my foot pretty much sealed the deal for me; the only barefooy running I will every do is sprints on a football field.
              Ouch! Out here we have to watch out for these nasty little things called goatheads (aka, puncturevine):

Jazz hands!

Yeah, I've found wayyyyy too many things lodged in the bottom of my running shoes to think about going barefoot outdoors.
                run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                Ed4

Barefoot and happy

When a nonrunner tells you that running is bad for you, dangerous, impractical, and painful, how do you react? I'm guessing you ignore them because you are the one who has actually lived it. You understand running because you run, and the nonrunner is just imagining problems that are really not that big a deal. We're having that same discussion right now. In 2008 I logged 1414 miles. 21% of them were barefoot, 55% were in FiveFingers, 19% in other minimal shoes like Teva Proton IIIs, and 5% in running shoes. Most of my miles were on asphalt and concrete in the city, but I've also run barefoot on rural roads and forested trails. I ran a 3:05 marathon in FiveFingers, which was a PR by over half an hour. I was always a thoroughly average runner, with weak ankles and ITBS, needing carefully chosen shoes every 400 miles. But now I can run in almost anything: old broken down running shoes, flip flops, water shoes, etc. My knees have been 100% pain free for the entire two years since I transitioned, despite more miles than ever. My ankles, hips, and abdominals are drastically stronger. My feet are tough enough that I can tread directly on most glass and never notice it. Today was my first recovery run since the marathon on Monday. Naturally I did it barefoot. I saw broken beer bottles. Miraculously I made it home alive anyway. Wink
                  Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                    I think I can sum up this debate simply. One the one side our bodies are built to run. Your feet are amazing. However your feet don't specialize in running. It must also be good for climbing, kicking ext. So I think most reasonable people would probably agree that we could design a device to make our feet better (shoes). However though I think there is a strong debate weather or not shoes that are commonly available actually are a net boon or liability.

Prince of Fatness

When a nonrunner tells you that running is bad for you, dangerous, impractical, and painful, how do you react? I'm guessing you ignore them because you are the one who has actually lived it. You understand running because you run, and the nonrunner is just imagining problems that are really not that big a deal. We're having that same discussion right now.
                      Yeah, that's pretty much what it is at this point. I haven't run barefoot but I may experiment with it a little this year. The emphasis here is on a little. The way I look at it I can't say whether barefoot running would work for me unless I try it.

Not at it at all. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Of course, you could put any activity into that argument...
                        When a non-crackuser tells you that crack is bad for you, dangerous, impractical, and painful, how do you react? I'm guessing you ignore them because you are the one who has actually lived it. You understand crack because you use it, and the non-crackuser is just imagining problems that are really not that big a deal.
                        Heh Smile But unlike crack use, which doesn't sound like interesting material for video, running over broken glass uninjured sounds tres cool, and sounds like great video material. Like free climbing, I'm not going to risk destroying my body doing it, but I'd be quite happy for the vicarious thrill of watching video of other people doing it -- go, superfeet!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

mikeymike

When a nonrunner tells you that running is bad for you, dangerous, impractical, and painful, how do you react? I'm guessing you ignore them because you are the one who has actually lived it. You understand running because you run, and the nonrunner is just imagining problems that are really not that big a deal. We're having that same discussion right now. In 2008 I logged 1414 miles. 21% of them were barefoot, 55% were in FiveFingers, 19% in other minimal shoes like Teva Proton IIIs, and 5% in running shoes. Most of my miles were on asphalt and concrete in the city, but I've also run barefoot on rural roads and forested trails. I ran a 3:05 marathon in FiveFingers, which was a PR by over half an hour. I was always a thoroughly average runner, with weak ankles and ITBS, needing carefully chosen shoes every 400 miles. But now I can run in almost anything: old broken down running shoes, flip flops, water shoes, etc. My knees have been 100% pain free for the entire two years since I transitioned, despite more miles than ever. My ankles, hips, and abdominals are drastically stronger. My feet are tough enough that I can tread directly on most glass and never notice it. Today was my first recovery run since the marathon on Monday. Naturally I did it barefoot. I saw broken beer bottles. Miraculously I made it home alive anyway. Wink
                          This makes a ton of sense to me (not that I've evere been skeptical of the value of barefoot running.)

Runners run

mikeymike

I think I can sum up this debate simply. One the one side our bodies are built to run. Your feet are amazing. However your feet don't specialize in running. It must also be good for climbing, kicking ext. So I think most reasonable people would probably agree that we could design a device to make our feet better (shoes). However though I think there is a strong debate weather or not shoes that are commonly available actually are a net boon or liability.
                            This makes no sense to me. How do shoes make our feet better? To me if a shoe provides anything beyond simple protection--preserving our feet so they can continue to perform their normal function--then it makes our feet worse (i.e. weaker.) The only example I can think of where a shoe might actually provide an aid in running would be racing spikes for either the track or XC. But the advantage is purely in speed due to better traction, not injury prevention or anything else--in fact running in spikes can definitely increase injury risks.

Runners run

jeffdonahue

To me if a shoe provides anything beyond simple protection--preserving our feet so they can continue to perform their normal function--then it makes our feet worse (i.e. weaker.)
                              What if it makes them just plain stylish???