Barefoot Running - The painful truth about trainers (Read 3941 times)

mikeymike

What if it makes them just plain stylish???
    Well yeah style should not be undervalued. That goes without saying.

Runners run

What kind of socks does one wear with those fivefinger shoes?

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

flovesparko

When a nonrunner tells you that running is bad for you, dangerous, impractical, and painful, how do you react? I'm guessing you ignore them because you are the one who has actually lived it. You understand running because you run, and the nonrunner is just imagining problems that are really not that big a deal. We're having that same discussion right now. In 2008 I logged 1414 miles. 21% of them were barefoot, 55% were in FiveFingers, 19% in other minimal shoes like Teva Proton IIIs, and 5% in running shoes. Most of my miles were on asphalt and concrete in the city, but I've also run barefoot on rural roads and forested trails. I ran a 3:05 marathon in FiveFingers, which was a PR by over half an hour. I was always a thoroughly average runner, with weak ankles and ITBS, needing carefully chosen shoes every 400 miles. But now I can run in almost anything: old broken down running shoes, flip flops, water shoes, etc. My knees have been 100% pain free for the entire two years since I transitioned, despite more miles than ever. My ankles, hips, and abdominals are drastically stronger. My feet are tough enough that I can tread directly on most glass and never notice it. Today was my first recovery run since the marathon on Monday. Naturally I did it barefoot. I saw broken beer bottles. Miraculously I made it home alive anyway. Wink
        Absolutely amazing! How does someone start? I seem only to be able to walk with out pain in running shoes. I'm actually wearing them in my office the last few weeks because my feet have been hurting. I think my feet have gotten so week from always having running shoes on that even at home I can't seem to walk on tile or hardwood flooring without shoes on.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This is why FiverFingers are a good alternative to pure barefeet.
          True, but if that furniture tack I stepped on last spring could poke all the way through my Kayano midsole and nick my foot, it would still be stuck in my foot if I had been wearing FiveFingers. I'm not disparaging barefoot running. Just depends on your territory. If you wanna go a step up fromFiveFinger, this article notes the apparanet benefits of the more minimalist footwear of the days of yore. http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/04/morning-read-baby-we-were-born-to-run.html Makes me wonder if my Kayano is too much shoe for me.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Makes me wonder if my Kayano is too much shoe for me.
            Jeff, why not pick up a pair of DS Trainers and give them a try? They have some stability, right? You may find that you really like a more minimal shoe...it's a nice compromise.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

True, but if that furniture tack I stepped on last spring could poke all the way through my Kayano midsole and nick my foot, it would still be stuck in my foot if I had been wearing FiveFingers. I'm not disparaging barefoot running. Just depends on your territory. If you wanna go a step up fromFiveFinger, this article notes the apparanet benefits of the more minimalist footwear of the days of yore. http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/04/morning-read-baby-we-were-born-to-run.html Makes me wonder if my Kayano is too much shoe for me.
              I'm all in favor of trying something more minimal on the shoes but I'm not interested in spending twice as much money because they wear our faster. So I have to consider that part as well. I have tried to become less of a heel strike guy and land with more of my foot and that seems to be working for me. Maybe next I can find some shoes I can train in that fit my budget. I certainly don't claim to know much about this and I'm all ears. I know everyone is a little different and how you run affects things. So there is no one shoe fits all solution but I certainly am interested in the discussion.

mikeymike

I think minimal shoes break down less quickly than bigger motion control etc shoes. There's less "stuff" to break down in the shoe. I get 600-700 miles out of most of my lightweights.

Runners run

KMB

Jeff, why not pick up a pair of DS Trainers and give them a try? They have some stability, right? You may find that you really like a more minimal shoe...it's a nice compromise.
                  heads up - DS trainers run a little small in my experience. I have been wearing asics size 8 for 20 years; got some ds trainers (off ebay where i get all my shoes) and wished i went 8.5
                    I think minimal shoes break down less quickly than bigger motion control etc shoes. There's less "stuff" to break down in the shoe. I get 600-700 miles out of most of my lightweights.
                    I bought a pair of these to race 5k road races in as a reward for getting myself halfway into shape. I liked how they felt. I was planning on treating them as race day only shoes. Maybe I should consider training in them. Most people tell me if I get 400 miles from a Brooks Adreneline I'd get more like 250 from these. But I know... who really knows when a shoe is worn out. http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-ABAND.html I can keep working on my foot strike. But probably #1 is to get my weight down more. That would help with everything. But there is no way I'm ever going to be under 185. That's what I weighed at age 15 when I ran cross country. And someone like me is doubly spooked into thinking they need beefier shoes. All bunk? Mostly bunk? I can believe it but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

What kind of socks does one wear with those fivefinger shoes?
                      I almost never wear socks with them. I do have some Injinji toe socks, they fit fine. But I don't really see the point, since I don't need them, and they just soak up water (the FiveFinger Sprint is not very waterproof).
                      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

But unlike crack use, which doesn't sound like interesting material for video, running over broken glass uninjured sounds tres cool, and sounds like great video material.
                        Not exactly what you asked for, but this guy is a badass. At 2:03 he's jumping off a giant rock into a gravel bed, and then sprinting through the desert. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGF-ErsJiI
                        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have a pair and I like them, but I pretty much only wear them as a racing flat or speed trainer. Which is to say they almost never get used. Perhaps I should run in them more regularly. Maybe we should just all go old school Of course, Jim Fixx died of a heart attack, so maybe that's not the best idea.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

Yeah those old school tigers cause heart attacks.

Runners run

MrH

It seems like a fruitless argument. Injuries are a symptom of some weakness. Soft shoes won't protect you much if your tendons, muscles and ligaments aren't up to the job of supporting your body running miles. Taking a different sport, people can play competitive tennis for years before developing "tennis elbow". It can best be eliminated by strength training. Wearing some clever gadget will mask the problem and often results in surgery later. While the human body didn't evolve to wear running shoes, it also didn't evolve to run high mileage on concrete and asphalt. If the cushioning in your shoes designed to protect you against this repetitive impact on your lower body is not spreading the force correctly, and as a result is messing with your running and causing you to be injured, you need to put something else on your feet - a different shoe with different support, or maybe nothing at all as you will be forced to run in a way that doesn't mask your weaknesses. Having strong feet/legs/core will greatly reduce injury risk. Whether you get that through running barefoot or with minimal shoes, or through drills doesn't matter. A lot of track programs are adopting a warm up/running drill routine out of Wharton which does certain exercises barefoot. MTA: when it comes to race, they put on light-weight shoes Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

so I suppose the Nike Free offering (in theory at least) the best of both worlds is at least worth a try for people who are not 100% satisfied.