"Impossible" Goal (Read 1052 times)

When I first started running, I had the impossible goal to run a marathon 5 months later when I couldnt even run a single mile. The goal seemed impossible--but it was very, very meaningful to me. Pretty much ever since the 2nd one, Ive cut big-time corners on training. Ive had a goal of 5 hours, and really I should have obtained that by marathon 2 or 3. Breaking 5 hours would feel good..but not OMG I cant believe I did it, good. Breaking 5 hours would mean only that I didnt have to stop and walk the last 3 miles. (Ive run a total of 9 marathons since the first in October '06 - My PR was my 2nd race in December 06 5:06Tight lippedx) My goal for next year is to break 4 hours. If I can go from couch to marathon in 5 months, I can go from 5:15 (my latest time) to 3:59:59 in one year. I can use all the pushing and encouragement you guys got. I will run 40-50 miles a week, and lots of long runs. I enjoy the long runs, but dont get enough in. Run/walking the long runs in training feels great, and I feel that strategy will help me log much more miles. Ive found that somehow my body is very resiliant. I hurt like hell after my marathons because I havent completely trained for them, but almost always feel perfectly fine 2-3 days later. Time to push myself again, and not just on race day. Ran 6 yesterday after my marathon on Sunday and felt great. Going longer tonight. Next up is Vegas on 12/7--my goal will be more modest for that one. Any words of wisdom from the experts would be appreciated. Or a swift kick in the pants when I need it. Basically, I know I just need to run more..and the results should come.

Right on Hereford...

I think it's great to have "impossible" goals, especially since you already have experience achieving them in the past. I think you are totally capable of a sub-4 marathon. But if your log is accurate, you have to completely change your running lifestyle (you ran only once in the 11 days prior to your marathon? Shocked). That means running 6-7 days a week. That's the first obstacle I see for you -- switching to the mindset of an everyday runner. You will need to build up your mileage very gradually. Otherwise, going from 8 miles per week to 50 is going to result in injuries. That's the second obstacle I foresee -- avoiding injuries. If you can overcome those two challenges, I think you will have a great shot at your goal.
        Thanks Dakota. Yeah, my log is accurate. Thats why I am annoyed with myself. That was my 2nd marathon in a month. The training before the first was worse. Thats why Im setting this goal. And posting it here. Its exactly that kind of motivation that got me to run a marathon in the first place. I told everyone I knew what I was going to do..and that motivated me to get it done. Once I get in the habit of running, its easy for me to get out there every day. I was on a great roll early this year but did allow myself to get sidetracked after a cold--my problem is once something like that happens- is getting back out there. I agree that not ramping up to quickly and avoiding injury is key. I **think** Im very resiliant and so far have avoided any foot/knee pain in the 2 years Ive been running. But the kind of running I will need to do is uncharted territory for me..thanks for bringing that up.
          If you run 40 to 50 miles per week for 9 months, so you have 3 months to work up to it. Even if they are 100 percent easy miles. You will reach your goal. I did and I'm more than 15 years older than you. Don't give up run 5 to 6 times per week and yes they can be all easy miles.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

JimR

It looks like you enjoy running marathons, you just don't like training for them. Wink

Think Whirled Peas

What Dakota said. Set small weekly goals to start. Aim not so much for weekly mileage but for number of days. To make 50 mpw comfortably, you need to be running consistantly 5-6 days a week first. Once you've got the running every day thing down, THEN start building the mileage up. I'll steal a line from a much more accomplished runner: Running is simple, that doesn't mean it's easy.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Feeling the growl again

OK, I'll jump on the grenade. Not because I like to stir controversy but because I want to see you reach your goal. Do what you need to do to eliminate the walk breaks. If this means cutting your mileage for awhile then working back up, so be it. You have a year, so you have time. Do it right. I'm not degenerating walking in a marathon, but pointing out that your adaptations to training will be sub-optimal if you walk. The speed required for a 4hr marathon is very different from a 5hr marathon. The increased speed you have to when when you are running to make up for walk breaks gets more and more exaggerated. Good luck!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Spaniel, the walk breaks were a tool to get me through the most recent marathon in one piece.I did 5:1 run/walk. A month earlier I had severe cramps around mile 17. As seen by my log, I was not trained for the marathon distance. The breaks, along with the cooler weather mostly did the trick. I didnt cramp and it was mile 23 before I was hurting bad enough to have to walk more. If I put my miles in, I dont expect to "Gallowalk" in '09. Unsure what my plan will be for my December marathon at this point.
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

More miles More days per week Fewer races
                      You can increase the stress caused on your body in (at least) 3 ways ( as I look at it ) 1.) Increase intensity (run faster) 2.) Increase duration (run more miles) 3.) Increase frequency (run more often) How to potentially get injured: increase 2 of the 3 above at the same time. How to probably get injured: Increase all 3 at the same time. Increasing miles by adding another day is a slippery slop in my opinion. From personal experience adding in an extra day was difficult because it reduces the time for you body to recover.
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Increasing miles by adding another day is a slippery slop in my opinion. From personal experience adding in an extra day was difficult because it reduces the time for you body to recover.
                        Depends on how you go about doing it. Adding a 30-40 min recovery run the day after a tempo or long run instead of taking the day off helped me out a ton.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, the walk breaks were a tool to get me through the most recent marathon in one piece.I did 5:1 run/walk. A month earlier I had severe cramps around mile 17. As seen by my log, I was not trained for the marathon distance. The breaks, along with the cooler weather mostly did the trick. I didnt cramp and it was mile 23 before I was hurting bad enough to have to walk more. If I put my miles in, I dont expect to "Gallowalk" in '09. Unsure what my plan will be for my December marathon at this point.
                          Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. I was talking about walking breaks during training, not really during the race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Depends on how you go about doing it. Adding a 30-40 min recovery run the day after a tempo or long run instead of taking the day off helped me out a ton.
                            agreed... reduced intensity to balance increased frequency...
                              Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. I was talking about walking breaks during training, not really during the race.
                              Gotcha. And that makes sense to me. Since I dont plan to run/walk in 09--it makes perfect sense to get off of training that way. Havent decided on the race schedule for '09. Other than I know Im doing Vegas--as long as they dont significantly move the date with the alteration in race partnerships. I will probably do Columbus/Vegas or Dayton/Vegas in the fall, but not all 3. I may do the Pig in May--did the full 2 years ago and the half this year. I wont hit my goal that soon or on that course--but doing the full in May should give me a good gauge of how far I still need to go. Right now I plan on increasing my # of days running--not my speed. They will all be easy runs.
                                early update. Started back up after my Vegas marathon and the holidays. Have run each of the past 5 days. Feeling good. Have my training plan and my general race plan maped out. Cutting down on the # of marathons this year. Just doing the Pig in May and Vegas in December. Will likely do 3 halves. Signed up for National in March, and will do USAFM in September and Columbus in October. Im 17 weeks out for the Pig--so training formally has begun for that. Not sure how I will train after the Pig before Vegas training starts. Have from May-August to fill in on my training plan. Should that be maximum miles, easy pace..or a good time to maybe do some speedwork? I had it kinda planned out at steady mileage, but I think that will only maintain my fitness.