PF Chang's Rock N Roll Half-Marathon - Phoenix - Sunday - 1/13/08 (Read 1155 times)

Maniac

Damn Solar...You're in the preferred corral? That's awesome. Were you in there last year?

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

My Hero

Hey Matt! It's Tommy. Changed my name when I departed CR. It looks like you have made a lot of progress in the the last year. I do think you have a chance to bust 2hrs. Good luck!

Maniac

Hi Tommy!! I hope you're right about the sub 2:00, but I'm not confident. I'll give it the "old college try" however. Do you have a goal time for the half? I can't figure out what time to get down there...I got down there early last year b/c my buddy was running the marathon. I don't want to get there that early, but also don't want to have to stand in line for the bus. I'll probably just get there too early and kill time down at the start like last year.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Stay healthy

azred, yes i was in that corral last year. three years ago they didn't have corrals, and actually there really wasn't much need... the marathoners did a great job of sorting themselves. so maybe it's overkill. three days. forecast still looks great. run well!

My Hero

Hi Tommy!! I hope you're right about the sub 2:00, but I'm not confident. I'll give it the "old college try" however. Do you have a goal time for the half? I can't figure out what time to get down there...I got down there early last year b/c my buddy was running the marathon. I don't want to get there that early, but also don't want to have to stand in line for the bus. I'll probably just get there too early and kill time down at the start like last year.
            I'm hoping to break 1:50 maybe... My last race was a marathon last year in June and the half split was 1:51:52, so who knows. Having to catch the shuttles means getting there awful early. I've got a friend coming to town that's going to do the half too, so our wives are going to drop us off at the start so we don't have to leave as early. You are welcome to catch a ride with us if you want. If memory serves me right, you live maybe 5-10 min. away from me. We will probably leave about 6:30 or so. Let me know and I'll give my phone #.
              I've got a room at the Marriotte for Saturday night and so far can't find a car pool...Anybody coming from Tucson/Sierra Vista/Douglas area? I drive a Jeep Wrangler and the mileage is so cruddy on there that I would be more than willing to pitch in some money for gas if somebody in the area has a better mileage car... Any thoughts from anybody, we can iron out details later...
              "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                don't let 'em fool you with that nice weather stuff. only got up to 65 degrees today!
                Well it is snowing here in Omaha so 65 sounds great to me! Smile
                keep running!
                  This will be my first full marathon. I did the half last year and, after knocking loose the icycles from my various appendages, it was a blast. Should be a tad warmer this year. I am hoping to beat everyone in the 80+ category this year. I know I am only 46, but you gotta have goals, right?

Maniac

This will be my first full marathon. I did the half last year and, after knocking loose the icycles from my various appendages, it was a blast. Should be a tad warmer this year. I am hoping to beat everyone in the 80+ category this year. I know I am only 46, but you gotta have goals, right?
                    You joke, but some guy in the 80+ category beat me last year in the half...And I was 33 at the time. I actually thought I did pretty well until I saw that. Tommy...Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll drive down there anyway. The extra sleep does sound nice, but I'd hate to try and figure out a way to meet up with you afterwards given the crowds down there. Good luck on the 1:50...I'm guessing you can do it without too much trouble given that split at your last marathon.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Stay healthy

Hey folks!! My bib number is 26579, Corral #6. White shirt with gray accents, gray shorts, New Balance shoes. Likely looking like I'm ready to puke.
                      Same corral, hope to see you there...Not entirely sure what I'll be wearing yet, except for my Guinness stocking cap....Mmmmm, Guinness...
                      "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

Maniac

Same corral, hope to see you there...Not entirely sure what I'll be wearing yet, except for my Guinness stocking cap....Mmmmm, Guinness...
                        Yeah, after I wrote that I realized that I will probably have something on over it...A garbage bag if nothing else. I'll have a white Nike running hat on for sure, though. I probably overestimated how fast I can run this thing by just a little. We'll see...Maybe I'll surprise myself. Are you going out at a slower pace or are you just going to try to run the same pace for the whole 13.1?

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Stay healthy

You joke, but some guy in the 80+ category beat me last year in the half...And I was 33 at the time. I actually thought I did pretty well until I saw that.
                          Excellent point...I have adjusted my goal to beat everyone in the 100+ category. I mean a goal should challenge you, yet still be attainable.
                            ok, i'm useless at work. time to go home, make maps, and pack. some tucson guys and i will be hanging out after the race under the letter "g". (the group we run with is called the "grinders" for a local coffee shop). with luck i'll be there before 10:40am. stop by and chat if you're around and have a moment. best of luck to you guys! smile and have fun!
                              I probably overestimated how fast I can run this thing by just a little. We'll see...Maybe I'll surprise myself. Are you going out at a slower pace or are you just going to try to run the same pace for the whole 13.1?
                              I usually start out at a slower pace and then about a mile or two in find my groove and stick to the same pace for awhile, then at the last mile or so pick it up....We'll see since I haven't run 13 miles in quite some time..My longest run has been 11 miles back in December...I was thinking of trying to stick with the 1:52 pace group and if that doesn't work still trying to break 2:00....Since we're in the same corral, let's meet up and see how the pace works for us...I wouldn't mind having some company Big grin

Maniac

Well David....I wish I had seen this last night, but I didn't get on here....I kind of looked around the corral, but couldn't remember anyone's bib number or what they said they'd be wearing. I finished in 1:59:48....Beat 2 hours by 12 seconds...It pretty much took everything I had. Thought I was going to puke in the chute, but I felt better about a minute later. Solar, I think I saw you by the "G" sign in the family reunion area (the person's bib was partially covered, but it was 3 digits and the last two were 41)....I said "Solar", b/c I don't know your real name. You (or the person I thought was you) didn't turn around, so I thought I'd keep moving rather than make an ass of myself. If it was you, you certainly looked relaxed and refreshed.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Stay healthy