Why compression gear? (Read 1815 times)

I am going to try this winter to run outside as much as I can. I cannot do more than 6 miles on the treadmill without losing my mind. I have UA compression tights and a couple long sleeved shirts. I just can't stand how tight they are. I even bought the largest size and still feel like a sausage casing. What exactly is the purpose of compression gear and what do you wear? As you can see by my log I have really slacked off the last couple of months. I have done treadmill runs but have not logged them. I think maybe I should just move somewhere warmer.

Skooter 3.0

I run in the cold and refuse to even consider compression gear...it can be especially hard in the 20's or below to get yourself out the door, but after the first 10 minutes or so, I find I actually prefer cold weather to hot because there's no overheating and you just end up feeling normal temp during a run. Just get some solid excercise pants, a 2 ply wicking shirt and a wicking track jacket for clothes, I just get average Target stuff, I've found the 2 places to get pricier stuff is in terms of gloves and shoes (highly recommend Nike winter running gloves...thin, but super warm)...I wear a knit hat a friend made for me...stick with it, you'll end up loving the cold!

Goals?

#artbydmcbride

UA compression stuff is way too tight! Other than that, I've seen it written that compression gear can reduce muscle fatigue by limiting vibration. I don't know how true that is. I just like the way it looks on muscley guys. Smile

Runners run

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I bought some tights because most of the looser fitting stuff didn't look like it would keep me warm enough. It took a little getting used to, but after a few outings you don't really notice it. I do find that it keeps me plenty of warm until it gets stupid cold, then it's just a question of throwing sweats on over the tights. For this winter I picked up my first compression shirt simply because it was on sale. Best $25 I ever spent on running gear. As a heads up people - be courteous. If you're jiggly, put on an aesthestic layer over your compression clothes.
            OMG, that is so funny. I feel totally exposed in the compression gear. I always wear a long running top over my long sleeved compression shirt. I once got offered cash by a running buddy to show take off my long shirt and show him my compression top. LOL I can wear a boys extra large so maybe I will try that, they don't seem to be cut so narrow. I looked at the Target brand, much cheaper.
              I bought Danskin tights at walmrat for 10 bucks and they keep me just as warm as anything else. And I'm running in windchill 6 degree stuff. I throw on my tights maybe a pair of shorts if I don't want my butt showing, and a long sleeve shirt and I'm good to go. Along with a hat of course. Its not really bad once you start running, it just seems cold.
                One reason people wear it is to give extra warmth and support to muscles that have been injured or to prevent re-injury. I know that this is the only reason I wear it so i only wear the compression bottoms if I need them. Different brands feel different too. You might experiment and find one style that is more comfortable than UA for you. My sister-in-law bought me a bunch of biker shorts/capris that I love to wear with loose fitting capris on top (too self concious to wear them out). They are Nike and Adidas brands. Check those out maybe. I hate starting a run when it is cold out. Once I get into it, though I warm up and feel good. It is all about getting out the door. There are people here who have run down into the negative digits so it is so doable and much more fun than running when it is 90 degrees and high humidity!
                  I've worn CWX shorts for several years - year round, but under either shorts or pants, depending upon weather. I started using them since I was having some hip / groin issues, and they helped stabilize that. I still wear them since I like the extra warmth in summer (Alaska summer races may be 40-50F) and even in winter they help with warmth where I tend to need more. The CWX tights don't ride quite as well, but I really like the shorts.
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    OMG, that is so funny. I feel totally exposed in the compression gear.
                    My son and I ran in a very COLD race this past weekend and he had never worn any tight compression gear. I had enough for both of us...so i gave him some compression pants (that go to the ankles) and a long sleeved compressioin shirt............he put them on and promptly told me he felt like a SUPER HERO........ Lisa, Did you ever see movie "The Incredibles????" Fantastic movie...and do you remember when Mr Incredible put on his tight tight Super Hero costume after being in retirement for years --- He was bulging and jiggling around everywhere - and yet he saved the world (If you have never seen it - then go rent the Incredibles and watch it ------ see if it's the same thing).........and besides, you'll love the movie. LISA - when you put on your tight compressions.........Think of yourself as a SUPER HERO..(just out of retirement like Mr Incredible)....You can be SUPER RUNNER Lisa*P*U*R*P*L*E* Maybe you can find purple compressions.........to go along with your name... NOW, get out there and conquer the outdoor COLD Running world Smile Big grin Wink Tongue Clowning around Shocked. YOU CAN DO IT......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I wear it to make my butt look smaller Tongue Blush

Lazy idiot

I wear it to make my butt look smaller Tongue Blush
                        I was behind you a bit last weekend. I forgot to check it out. Sorry, dude.

Tick tock

I buy the stuff at Target also (and walmart.) It doesn't get extremely cold here, so I just wear the compression shirt with a tshirt over it. It was a little annoying/itchy for the first run or two, but you get used to it fast, and it keeps you way warmer than anything loose fitting. So far this year it hasn't come out of the closet, though. It was near 80 here today.
                          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I was behind you a bit last weekend. I forgot to check it out. Sorry, dude.
                            So it worked! Otherwise you'll remember my big fat butt Big grin

Member Since 2008

I use UA brand, and have ran when it was as cold as -7 degrees. I just wear a pair of running shorts over them and a long sleeved shirt, plenty warm. When it's REALLY cold, and I bundle my head and face up I feel like a ninja.
                                My 4yr has watched The Incredibles so many times we hid it. When Bob is in his office prying himself into the suit, that is what I feel like in my compression gear. I like the superhero reference. I will look at it totally different now. Thanks. LOL