Home Made Gu (Read 2126 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Carb Boom Apple Cinnamon is the best stuff. I use it for long bike rides and hiking also. The only thing is nobody uses it in any races.
    Yeah, as a result I bring my own. Now when I taste GU I want to hurl. But I'm also the one who won't drink the sweet wines that my hubby loves. He can keep his Boone's Farm-like piesporters...blech. Trent, I like the Nutella idea...seriously, that is worth a try. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

Perhaps if you are successful you can market your creation. Slo-hand Home made Gu?
      POD This thread had potential from the title but crashed and burned.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Nevermind I had a silly spell there.
        For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.

jfa

Dead

Trent, I like the Nutella idea...seriously, that is worth a try. Big grin
            How would you carry it/ have it ready to eat easily? MTA: I just saw the REI squeeze tubes suggestion so I looked it up. Very cool! Any other method?
              Honey sticks! The kind you can get at the local health food store. pop an end and suck.

Certifiably Insane

why not add a little oatmeal or powdered milk and make peanut butter balls?
                That's what I use a lot, but I use oat flour instead of oatmeal. 1 cup PB, 1 cup corn syrup (or 1/2 cup honey) and about 3 1/2 cups of oat flour. It comes out about like a Power Bar, but not as sticky. I just stick one or two in a fold-top sandwich bag, and I'm good to go. I do make them with oatmeal now and then. They come out more like a Clif Bar then. You can add in mashed bananas, chocolate chips, dried fruit, etc to make them different flavors. BTW, I'm allergic to PB, so I use soy butter or almond butter.
                On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30

Imminent Catastrophe

Good recipes but you should add hornet juice.Wink

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Certifiably Insane

pop an end and suck.
                    No, that would never work. I have enough people pointing at me and yelling 'You suck!' I don't need to encourage them. Big grin
                    On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30

Meh, $5 is $5...

Title got my attention. I don't even know where to begin.

Outside Lane

Never mind.... Confused

See how they run...

Member Since 2008

It worked!! Imixed two parts peanut butter and one part honey, put it in a snack sized zip lock bag, pinned them to my running belt & when I wanted one I ripped it off the belt, bit a hole in the corner and squeezed out the peanut butter. I had one of my best runs ever!! Yes

You Are Beautiful.

Go PRE, that's totally what I was going to suggest! Thought stealer! Smile If you were worried about an uneven tear/ingesting plastic, you could even carry a tiny pair of nail scissors. Some sewing scissors are really tiny. I will probably try the PB/Honey when I get up to longer runs. What's in the Carb Booms? Sounds interesting but I'm not a caffeinated person.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                            Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

When on my Long Run last saturday I was thinking about this thread from last week. My exact thought when opening a GU along the ruyn was "even if I could make this goo .... how the heck would I get it into a nice little sqeezable pouch?" some things are worth paying for convienence packaging!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Hawt and sexy

I have made the molasses/honey mixture. Not so good. I might try an all PB and honey mix, that sounds good. You can get small ziploc bags at drug stores for like a buck. They come in packs of 50 or 100. Drug stores keep these things next to the pill cutting supplies. The bags are about the same size as a gu packet. One safety pin to the skirt and you are good to go. I have an old recipe left over from my CR days from a poster there. It's for homemade gatorade. Has that made it to this board yet or do you want me repost it here?

I'm touching your pants.