Duck feet REALLY suck. Really. (Read 1079 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I'm pretty suspicious that my chronic knee issues for the past couple of months are part overuse, part inadequate stability for higher mileage. My beloved NB 902s/903s are fantastic for anything up to a 40 mile week and my relatively shorter runs, but it seems that maybe that's the limit. So yesterday I drove an hour to the largest running store in the region (ie store with the best variety...and greatest potential to find a shoe to work for me for my long runs). Tried on Asics GT-2130, Nike Air Structure Triax+ 11 (could they give that damned shoe a longer name? At least NB models don't require 2 breaths to rattle-off), and the Brooks Adrenaline GTS-8. Brooks was stiff and not a good fit. Asics and Nike fit almost identically, so I pretty much did eeny-meeny-miney-mo and ended up with the Asics. Because of my relatively narrow heel the saleswoman recommended a medium width (and claimed that wide shoes have wider heels--is this true? My NBs in wides have always worked...hmmm). Nike and Asics models did have surprisingly roomy forefeet. Ok. Did 4 real road miles in the new shoes. Aaaannnd my heels were slipping. Maybe even worse than in the wide Kayano 13s I had a year ago. So they are going back. Crap. I'm not confident that the Nikes would be any better. Damn. One thing I didn't try were any Mizuno models. I have heard that the shoes are good, but they wear fast, so that has kind of turned me off to the shoes. Then again, I seem to get "issues" with shoes between 250-300 miles, anyhow, so maybe I wouldn't notice the difference with the Mizuno. I have also read that the Inspire has a good, SNUG heel fit...and it comes in wide width. Can anyone attest to this? Damn you, NB...damn you for making that 767/768 so inflexible. This would all be so much easier if I could just stick with the brand that usually works so well for me...but oh, no... Roll eyes And damn you, Saucony, for making the heel tabs so high and curved on your Progrid Guide. That was an otherwise perfect shoe, but I don't do blood on my achilles. Angry

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Have you tried teh Saucony Progrid Hurricane's? Dh has the same type of foot as you and he just got a pair of these and they've worked the best for him.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Zoomy... We had a conversation about running shoes last week at my local running store. According to the store owner, Nike really doesnt make a good running shoe...they make great fashion type shoes, but in their opinion, their running shoes were not the same caliber as NB, Asics, Brooksetc. I use the NB 768 and really like them but it took about 30 miles for me to adjust to them. I am going to try another shoe next time I need shoes (soon) probably, asics or brooks. Good Luck on finding a show that works for you. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com
          I wear adidas supernova classics because they have a narrow heel and wide/roomy toe box. I was an avid asics person for years and just thought blisters and black toenails were normal until I got fitted for adidas. adidas of all things!? who'd have thunk. Confused I have dreams (nightmares) about the lovely saucony paramounts. They felt SO great but I could not stomach the $$$. I got fitted for mizunos and I don't like them. I won't be getting them again. They just feel cheaply made.

Jennifer mm#1231

and when I saw this thread, I thought you were talking about Duck Feet the fins. I was wondering what you'd be doing ranting about fins. Tongue My son has feet like yours but I call them Hobbit Feet. Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy... We had a conversation about running shoes last week at my local running store. According to the store owner, Nike really doesnt make a good running shoe...they make great fashion type shoes, but in their opinion, their running shoes were not the same caliber as NB, Asics, Brooksetc.
              I think that's true of stuff like those godawful Shox, but the Boweman shoes are supposed to be very nice...just not sure if I'm going to have luck with the fit. Jennifer, I remembered that there was an Adidas shoe that you liked. How is the cushion and forefoot flex? I don't do well with stiff, firm cushioned shoes (my arches tend to hurt. I was getting some of that with the 2130s on the outside edge of my foot). If they could make a more stable version of the NB 903 that would be my perfect high mileage shoe. Poo. Pam, did your hubby ever try the Progrid Guide? I have heard other people have problems with Saucony heels and achilles...I want to say it was Freckles who had the same problem I did with the Guide, only I think she had the Omni, maybe...? I'd happily try another Saucony if I wasn't leery about the heel thing. And I couldn't feel the heel issue with the Guides until I did my first 8 miler in them.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My son has feet like yours but I call them Hobbit Feet. Big grin
                Ha, if they were hairy they would definitely look like a hobbit foot...long toes, wide, very fleshy feet. My MIL has the exact opposite...long, thin, bony feet with super high arches. My feet are definitely prettier. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

He's tried the Omni (didn't have enough cushion) Tangent (good for 5k or less but that's it) but he's never tried the Progrid Guide. Now this man has SUCH a HARD time finding shoe's it was almost like a miracle that these ones are working so well for him.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'm sticking with the Adidas Supernova Classic (SC) because they are very cushiony in the forefoot, which has always been important to me because me feet will hurt! My chiro at SDRI hates my adidas and is the one who suggested I'm too thin and fast to be wearing such a big, heavy shoe.. But now that I'm wearing the mizunos, I think I like the big and heavy of the adidas...ie. cushiony and roomy. The only problem is that the Adidas SC are hard to come by. Only one running store here in SD keeps them instock.

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

such a big, heavy shoe..
                      Yeah...I don't like big and heavy, either. Those damned NB 900-series shoes have spoiled me rotten. Those Asics 2130s felt like heavy bricks...ill-fitting bricks, at that. Pam, your hubby and I seem to have had similar shoe struggles. I am so jealous of those people who find the perfect shoe and are able to wear it for years, even through updates.

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah...I don't like big and heavy, either. Those damned NB 900-series shoes have spoiled me rotten. Those Asics 2130s felt like heavy bricks...ill-fitting bricks, at that. Pam, your hubby and I seem to have had similar shoe struggles. I am so jealous of those people who find the perfect shoe and are able to wear it for years, even through updates.
                        I am REALLY liking the 904's Tongue We'll see how they hold up for long runs come the 9th Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am REALLY liking the 904's Tongue We'll see how they hold up for long runs come the 9th Wink
                          Some people claim to be able to do all their mileage in that shoe (or it's predecessors, rather). I'm hoping that maybe my feet will tolerate the marathon in my 903s, but for everything over 7 or 8 miles I'm likely going to wear something a bit beefier.

~ Sarah Kay

because me feet will hurt!
                            it's talk like a pirate day! aye matey!

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

it's talk like a pirate day! aye matey!
                              I caught that and wasn't sure if you typo'd or were embracing your inner pirate...argh! Wink

~ Sarah Kay