Snacks you might keep in hotel for the night before the marathon (Read 318 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Let's see.... I would recommend-

POP TARTS

Not for snacking the night before, though. Early dinner, then nothing but liquids till morning. Some people can afford not to be picky about timing, but I would want to avoid having a late night snack hanging around in my system.

This^^^

steph  

A Saucy Wench

Damn you all.  Now I want poptarts.  I only eat them before marathons and I haven't done a marathon in almost 2 years.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

And this thread wasn't so much as asking for advice but as a way to see the habits of others, see how they tick and fuel their engines.

Then don't dump on other people's choices about what they think is a good snack food.  You asked.  Don't want to know the answer?  Don't ask the question.

And there are other food choices that are infinitely more healthy than TGIFriday's.  So don't continue to play the "eat more healthy" card.

Have a good day.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

xhristopher

I had poptarts for breakfeast this morning.

HermosaBoy

I had poptarts for breakfeast this morning.

Me too.  Smile

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Prince of Fatness

I happen to like both TGI Fridays and Poptarts.  Now I feel conflicted.

Not at it at all. 

Joann Y

Your world frightens and confuses me! Your garmins, your poptarts.....my primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.

HermosaBoy

I happen to like both TGI Fridays and Poptarts.  Now I feel conflicted.

Does TGI Fridays sell Poptarts?  Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

xhristopher

Yo, since you are eating at TGI Fridays you may also be interested in some of the other shit I ate in addition to the three craft beers I downed with dinner before running a marathon this past Sunday. On Saturday I had a half dozen sweet gherkins along with about 2/3 cup of pickle juice. Go ahead and swig it from the jar. Just make sure nobody is looking, as you do with milk. The other special item I had was Snickers Bites. Go ahead and pop a few before the race and take the rest of the bag with you. Have one 'bite' every mile. They taste great.

Birdwell

Does TGI Fridays sell Poptarts?  Wink

no. But the only working vending machine on campus does.  Which is good.

Because there are no classes today and the college food court is closed.

Poptarts save the day!

Ready, go.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yo, since you are eating at TGI Fridays you may also be interested in some of the other shit I ate in addition to the three craft beers I downed with dinner before running a marathon this past Sunday. On Saturday I had a half dozen sweet gherkins along with about 2/3 cup of pickle juice. Go ahead and swig it from the jar. Just make sure nobody is looking, as you do with milk. The other special item I had was Snickers Bites. Go ahead and pop a few before the race and take the rest of the bag with you. Have one 'bite' every mile. They taste great.

Three craft beers and a jar of pickles?  Folks, based on his success in that marathon, you may want to try this.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Early dinner, then nothing but liquids till morning. Some people can afford not to be picky about timing, but I would want to avoid having a late night snack hanging around in my system.

This is my plan, too. It's not about what I like or don't like to eat or what is healthier, it's about making sure that I don't have to deal with digestive issues. So I try to get an early dinner of some kind of fairly bland pasta with some bread and no salad. Then nothing to eat until the morning when I have a plain bagel with peanut butter for breakfast. It's bland and boring, but it works for me and that has become my standard pre-race breakfast, even though I never eat it at any other time. It really comes down to what works for you, and by that  I mean your digestive system, not your overall plan for a healthy diet. My brother has a funny story about the one time he had a bagel with peanut butter before a marathon. He developed stomach cramps in the second mile and ran/jogged most of the distance very slowly with cramps; then around mile 19 the cramps disappeared and he pounded the last miles for a PR and the only negative split he's ever run at Boston!

Nothing. Because I can't imagine still being hungry at night after eating a big pre-marathon dinner.

I have a mixed history at chain restaurants before marathons:

Rainforest Cafe (Baystate) - horrendous meal with family, no beer, horrendous final 10k.

Random Italian Restaurant -not a chain (Lehigh Valley) excellent meal with friends, one beer, decent result

Bertucci's (Boston) - pretty bad meal alone, but filling. Two beers (not including an afternoon beer with RA'ers). Better result.

If I were ever stupid enough to run another marathon, more beers seems to be the key. And drinking alone. Key. Do it.

And lastly, eating alone at the bar of a train station Bertucci's at 5pm on a Sunday night then walking back to a random Airbnb room to watch a movie on a little travel DVD player is a sad and lonely time. Avoid that.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              kcam

Congratulations on sub-3.