Treadmills - No excuses, but... (Read 1321 times)

hmmmmmmm wonder if I can get the dog and kids all bundled up and put them on a sled so that I can get my run in? Clowning around

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

va

My bad. Sorry VA. No offense intended.
      No worries. I am running in the Charlottesville HM (my first) in a couple of months. It's not up in the mountains, but it's a hilly course. That will be a real test of my manhood. I hope I pass. Big grin Btw, some day I'd like to run a marathon on a flat course, like along the beach. There are a couple along the east coast which I may look at for next year.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My wife's from Allegan, MI
        Hey, I know Allegan! That's an hour+ south of us! Does she miss all the lake-effect crap and cloud cover? Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Btw, some day I'd like to run a marathon on a flat course, like along the beach. There are a couple along the east coast which I may look at for next year.
          I hear the Lakeshore marathon in Traverse City, MI is supposed to be beautiful. Much of it runs along Lake MI. I don't know how flat it is, though--it's pretty hilly in that part of the state. Grand Rapids is pretty flat, but no views of any water. k

~ Sarah Kay

No worries. I am running in the Charlottesville HM (my first) in a couple of months. It's not up in the mountains, but it's a hilly course. That will be a real test of my manhood. I hope I pass. Big grin Btw, some day I'd like to run a marathon on a flat course, like along the beach. There are a couple along the east coast which I may look at for next year.
            Try the VA Beach marathon - flat and fast! Plus you get to run across the bay bridge. Further down in SC, there's the Myrtle Beach Marathon. I haven't run that one, but I looked at the course map and it's flat as a pancake. Zoom-Zoom, my wife doesn't miss the LE snow at all. But since we've been married we've lived all over the US and Europe so she's pretty flexible when it comes to weather conditions, though she's still coming to grips with all the wind in SW OK. Mike
              Hey! The first few runs of my entire life (uh, last month) were in the 28-35 degree range when that Arctic front hit (I'm in California). And I ran! Forgot my gloves and my hands scaled over for 2 weeks, but nothing that a little vaseline didn't help...but come on! You guys are the pros!! I'm just a newbie and I did it. Wink
                I am stuck here in Poland, spoiled by CA weather with no easy access to a treadmill. We've had snow, sleet, rain, slush, mud, ice but no sun. I've made a resolution to run no matter what. So for the first time in my life ran in temps ranging in from low teens to high thirties. I ran in blinding snow and on icy roads. If anyone told me a couple of months ago I would be doing that I would think they were nuts. It seems I am nuts and I love it. It's not that bad. First 15 minutes are tough but once I am warmed up it's actually fun. There are runners in bigger cities but here in the suburbs I am kind of a curiosity and that adds to the fun. I am glad I don't have a treadmill here, I would have never known I can enjoy running in bad weather. Still, I would give anything for some sun. Ewa
                I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                  Ewa, after running in those conditions - just think of how you are going to fly down your routes when you get back home!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Prophet!

"South Korean soldiers prove their hardiness during winter mountain training exercises by taking a snow bath." Source BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6248213.stm
                    I wonder if the South Korean government know of them polar bear clubs...whose members while hardy and got big balls (no doubt with some post bath 'shrinkage') i wouldn't put them on the battlefields...BTW, anybody here belong to such a club (sorry for the inadvertent lo-jacking)
                      Ewa, after running in those conditions - just think of how you are going to fly down your routes when you get back home!
                      I certainly hope so. There is SUN in the forecast here. I think I will explode with joy if that comes true. Today started with snow and wind. Oh, well. Sad Ewa
                      I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

still alive

Hey, I know Allegan! That's an hour+ south of us! Does she miss all the lake-effect crap and cloud cover? Wink k
                        Small world. I grew up in Plainwell.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

I think I now understand Jake's adversion to the Dreadmill. Saturday's group run was called off due to ice under the snow and I was invided as a guest to a local gym to use the treadmill. About a mile was all I could take. Granted I was dressed for outdoor running and got overly warm but good gawd I was board stiff long before the mile was done!!! Mid 60s next weekend!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Scout7

I used a treadmill for the first time in years today. My PT doc put me on. It was almost like heaven. Amazing how not running for a month suddenly changes perspective on things.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Small world. I grew up in Plainwell.
                              What...MI weather wasn't bad enough for ya'...had to move to Fargo, 'eh?! Uff Da! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Jill_B

I fly.

I love running in the cold and snow and sleet *IF* the drivers know how to handle foul weather. Since TN seems to cancel school at the thought of snow flurries, I do not like to run in the outside when it is less than perfect weather here -- it's just too dangerous.

Bring it on.