Outside vs treadmill (Read 1804 times)

A Saucy Wench

I usually run faster on the treadmill because I'm bored out of my mind and want to get the run over with so I start pushing on the buttons and making them beep.
    heh...this is why even though I usually dont PLAN on doing intervals on a TM I usually do. Every 2 minutes or so I have to push a button.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

are pedometers accurate on a treadmill? Might be a good way to compensate for calibration errors.
        Outside is vastly superior to the treadmill. When I run on a treadmill I find that the workout is sub par, I neglect form, I get over concerned with all the flashing numbers that probably arent accurate, its incredibly boring, and I think that it hurts my shins. Treadmill to outside is like masturbating is to sex... sure it has its uses, but its just not the same. The only time I can bring myself to run on a treadmill is when its incredibly poor outside conditions. If I'm going to do anything inside to simulate real running, its going to be an elliptical.
        Giant

I'm so happy I'm not the only one...
          gracerunner

Treadmill to outside is like masturbating is to sex...
            I am my best lover.

Insert witty title here

I've always preferred outside, but especially after my experience last week where the treadmill came to a dead stop and nearly threw me off. There will be no more of that!

ThomasRuns Blog
              Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

When I started running I did most every run on the TM. I preferred it to outside. But after a few races, I switched to outdoor running and now it's a struggle for me to run on the TM. Unfortunately, I live in a rural area where it's not safe to run in the dark (speedy drivers, hills, and deep ditches aren't a great combo for running in the dark). So now I'm back to more TM runs - ugh. I find that I'm slower on my TM too, by at least a minute per mile. I don't run the distances a lot of folks on here do, though. I think much more than a 5 or 6 miler on the TM would turn me into a zombie.
                -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
                nextyearcubs

The treadmill is a beast I have to slay in order to keep running consistently all winter long. I've never liked the treadmill, but sometimes, in some weather, running outside produces diminishing returns. I don't need to slip on a patch of ice or get sick from the cold. If it is sunny and there is little wind, winter running is great, even with temps in the 20s, but otherwise my enjoyment from being outside makes the treadmill a more viable option. I agree with the consensus that running on the treadmill seems slower, but my heart rate monitor shows a lower heart rate also... Perceived effort is greater on a treadmill for some reason, but I just go with what's comfortable and if the heart rate is lower, maybe I burn more fat today. One benefit I've noticed is that if my feet are getting a little sore, running on the treadmill is easier on my feet, so its a way to keep running before things get too bad.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I generally run faster on the treadmill but that's mainly on purpose. It'll do a progression run, a tempo run or intervals. It's a training tool for when you can't run outside for whatever reason. I do find that the lack of air movement in the gym often makes it harder to run long on the TM, i.e. I overheat quicker. I have to get a swamp fan on me. I guess you can think you're running slower because there's nothing moving around you to show your speed. However, to state that you're actually running 2 mins per mile slower on a TM, with the same effort, is a bit odd. Somewhere along the way effort or speed and distance are being measured incorrectly.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I can't run on the treadmill for any amount of time before it screws up my knees. It's just not worth it to me.
                        The treadmill is a beast I have to slay in order to keep running consistently all winter long.
                        As far as I'm concerned this statement summarizes it better the anything I have said or could say and better then anyone else has said so far. There are times in the winter when its TM or not run.....and if you want to stay consistent all winter long you really do have to 'slay the beast'....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Man in Tights

I am usually faster outside, even when running hills, than on a threadmill.
                          Ditto

...listen to the thunder

I like running outside better than on a treadmill, but I don't dread the mill. I have one at home so I watch DVD's while I run to make it go by faster. I also run slower on a treadmill which can be a good thing, because many times I tend to run too hard/fast when I'm outside with an iPod cranking away. Safety is probably the biggest reason right now that I'm inside. We hard freezing rain 2 weeks ago and the municipalities around me are saving money by only salting the intersections of the roads and even walking on the untreaded parts is tough.

Run, Eat, Repeat.

CathayLad.

PlodderfromMAN

The TM is a necessary evil, I will not be slaying my beast just yet, I'm a bit concerned that it is like masturbating is to sex, if thats true what a w**ker I am, 90% of my winter running is done on the TM due to cold induced asthma, on the plus the upper body strength is good.
                              Goals. <7:45mins -="" 1="" mile=""></7:45mins><50mins -="" 10k=""></50mins><1hr 50mins="" -="" half="" marathon.(march09)=""></1hr><4hrs marathon (may09) marathon=""></4hrs marathon (may09)>
                              Natalia

Ah, vexing question. I find the treadmill is good to build up initial stamina and endurance. I am a big fan, but it's true when I race, I am much faster than on the treadmill and that is very satisfying. I rather like the unpredictability of it all. I do easy runs outside and go hard on the treadmill, however it's good to run outdoors for other reasons.