1500 Miles So Go Run

2022 November - Who's close to making it? (Read 9 times)

jeffdonahue

I am definitely not going to make the 1500 this year.

I was finally able to get into physical therapy yesterday for my hamstring tendonosis.  Unfortunately between the time I made the appointment and had the appointment, I developed some pain on the interior of my left knee.  She thinks that is just an irritated meniscus, so recommended a bit of rest and icing after runs.  She also asked if it happened to coincide with running on the treadmill more, which it did, so she recommended staying off the treadmill for a while if the weather holds out, so i'll do that too (but man is it dark outside right now).

For the hamstring, we started some hamstring strengthening exercises that focus on hitting the hamstring where it inserts just below the glutes.  So I am hopeful that stuff will all help.  I really liked this therapist, as I know she is an athlete so understands what I am going through, and also she spent a LOT of time with me yesterday - poking, prodding, moving my legs all around and the assessment just seemed way more thorough than my previous physical therapy appointments.

Two months left in the year - my hope is to just spend the next month healing up and maybe be able to start building mileage back up slowly after that and maybe shoot for a late spring half marathon if everything goes well.

kcam

So glad you're into PT for the hamstring tendinosis. If you get a PT that knows what's happening with athletes as opposed to 'normies' it will make a big difference.  Sounds like you have a keeper there.

It took me about 5 weeks to get over my tendinosis on the top of my left foot.  Rest alone (5 weeks of it) didn't really help a whole lot but once I saw the PT and started doing the exercises she prescribed things started looking up.  I feel it is now 100% recovered and am able to run again.

I am, however, woefully out of shape and bloated, shall we say!  I will almost certainly make the 1500 miles but my real goal was to hit 1979 miles this year, which would have put me at 40,000 logged miles on RA.  I won't make that one as I would need to average 11.2mile/day to the end of the year.  The bright side is that next year I only have to run a couple hundred miles to get over 40K!

HappyFeat

I'm on track for 1400. It's a disappointing result, but that's the best I could do this year. I'm working my way to 35 mpw, so next year should be in the bag.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I'm struggling through injuries also. Started as hip pain but I think through compensation it turned into opposite leg knee pain. The frustrating part is that I retired in August and thought I would be able to run when I wanted.

HappyFeat

The bright side is that next year I only have to run a couple hundred miles to get over 40K!

That's awesome! I only have to run 3000 miles to catch up with you

kcam

Heffa, congrats on retirement.  On retiring and then being able to run when and how much we want ... the best laid plans and all that.  Hang in there and get that hip and knee niggles/injuries recovered.  I retired two years ago and thought, man, I'm gonna be a 'fast'  runner again with all the training I can put in!  Nope.  As you found, injuries and niggles and just life get in the way of training plans!

I got in almost 47 miles this week, my biggest mileage week in about 7 or 8 weeks (since the foot tendinitis put me on the shelf).  10.5 miles up in the mountains above Saratoga this morning.  Beautiful fall morning at about 52 deg and sunny.  Wow.  It was so tough on me but I feel great now.  Just need to take a very easy day tomorrow and keep on keeping on.

Jeff, hope you're PT is making a positive impact on your hamstring tendonosis.

PS - what's the deal with the YTD Distance report?  When you hit 1500 miles you get taken off the board?  There were several folks that were nearing that number when I went down with injury and now those people are gone form that report.

HappyFeat

... the YTD Distance report?  When you hit 1500 miles you get taken off the board? 

yes

You can see the inclusive list by going to "Reports - Run - Current Year" then sort by distance, ranking from highest volume to lowest. That should show you what you want to see.

I got my 30 mpw this week just barely. Imagine what a night of 40 mph windstorm (including 24 hours without power) will do to a property loaded with Douglas fir trees. Yep - most of an acre littered (covered really) with large Doug fir branches some the size of small trees and branchlets, plus about 20 feet of the top of one broke off  and fell - away from the house, thanking my lucky stars. So an entire day spent yesterday working on cleanup with DH manning the chainsaw. No running for me. I was working with a back spasm anyway, so a run wouldn't have been possible. I think all the muscle activity must have overpowered it because today was okay. We put in another 7-ish hours and then DH practically forced me onto the TM to get my weekly mile goal. We're about halfway through the cleanup and have carted away 6 pickup loads of debris so far, with another couple loads piled up ready to go.

jeffdonahue

Happyfeat, sounds like a lot of work.  And I was just complaining about having to rake leaves next weekend to my wife.

Only had 1 PT appointment so far, but I have my exercises to do so hopefully they will get me there.  Sadly, the hamstring hasn't really bothered me in a few weeks, but I am getting some knee pain on the inside of both my knees right now.  It started about 3 weeks ago now, which coincided with two things.  1.) I started doing a bit more treadmill running. and 2.) I upped my dosage of my cholesterol medication (atorvastatin) which does have a side effect of joint pain.

So now the PT suggested I get off the treadmill and run outside as much as possible (easy this weekend as it was 76 outside) and I've made the decision to stop taking my medication for a week.  When I first started taking it years ago they had me on a higher dosage as well and I got some bad joint pains.  But when I stopped taking the it, the pains subsided in about 5 days.  I'm hoping the same happens and then I'll start back at the lower dosage I was on and gradually build up to the higher dose instead of basically just doubling my dose like I did 3 weeks ago.

Heffa, congrats on the retirement as well.  I can understand that frustration as  when I do get to retirement (still a long ways off for me) I am hoping to be able to do whatever I want and not have injuries sidelining me.  Prayers for  quick recovery for you.

kcam

Jeff, you may want to explore taking CoQ10 to mitigate the statin side effects.  I take it along with my atorvastatin even though I've never had muscle or joint pain I can attribute to the statin.  It's supposed to also be good for heart health as well.

HappyFeat

I wasn't anywhere close to making 1500, but 1400 was within reach until today when I tripped on the pavement early in my run. I've got a goose-egg at the top of my tibia (tibial tuberosity) and the patellar tendon is swollen. Lessee how long before I can run on it. I've been aggressively icing and elevating. I fear my left arm may come out the worst, though nothing is broken. I jammed my arm when falling - feels most painful when I raise my arm to the front - top of bicep? front deltoid?  Not sure, but am icing that too.  I'm usually a fast healer, so everybody cross your fingers!!

jeffdonahue

HappyFeat, I'm with you on that.  I'm going to hit 1,000 later this week but really don't even see myself necessarily getting to 1,100 this year.  My sciatic pain has subsided nearly completely (knock on wood) but it created some knee pain.  I've been to PT a few times and she discovered an imbalance in my leg strength.  My right leg is significantly weaker than my left, which she thinks is what is causing this so we are working on strengthening each leg individually so that I can't compensate with the stronger leg.

Right now, I have good days and bad days but my running I've been keeping limited to a mile to a mile and a half.  She gave me the okay to start increasing but I'm increasing slowly - trying to get up to a 3 mile jog for a Turkey Day run with friends I have planned.

So, we regroup and find a good goal for next year.  In anticipation of being healed (positive thoughts) for next year I have signed up for a 10 miler series - one in April in RI, June in ME and then November in VT.  First one will be a baseline and I'll do some good training to try to run each one faster than the last.  Plus, April is plenty far enough away - gives me 2 months to heal up and 3 months to train.

HappyFeat

JeffD   The 10-miler series sounds like a perfect goal to chase through the year. Sending all good thoughts you hit the New Year running strong again.

The bright side of spraining my arm - and DH having a painful probable bone bruise at the base of two left fingers from the chainsaw - is that the remainder of the cleanup from the windstorm is put on hold. We were slacking off anyway, trying to pace ourselves better, but a more substantial break will feel good. We're super close to done. Maybe only 2-3 more pickup loads to go.  Have taken a dozen loads already.

I had my appt w/doc yesterday (before I fell of course)  to get PT referral for SI joint issue. I was told "due to high volume of referrals" it might be a month before I get a call to schedule. So I also will look forward to making a fresh start at running stronger in the New Year.

jeffdonahue

Wow, that sounds like a logistical healthcare nightmare.  One of the reasons I love my PPO - no referrals needed, I just go find a physical therapist and make an appointment.  the only reason it took me so long to get these last appointments is because I requested a specific doctor (the owner of the practice) this time as she personally came highly recommended.

I had my appt w/doc yesterday (before I fell of course)  to get PT referral for SI joint issue. I was told "due to high volume of referrals" it might be a month before I get a call to schedule. So I also will look forward to making a fresh start at running stronger in the New Year.

HappyFeat

Wow, that sounds like a logistical healthcare nightmare.  One of the reasons I love my PPO - no referrals needed, I just go find a physical therapist and make an appointment. 

Yes, and I had to wait a month to get into the doc in the first place! You CAN self-refer to PT in this state, but insurance won't pay for it. To have it paid for, must have MD place the order and request the benefits.

I've been dealing with this problem for a long time and procrastinated due to the rigamarole, so I guess I can be patient a while longer.

kcam

Ran the Davis Turkey Trot 5K yesterday. The course was long by about 300m.  That is a pet peeve of mine even though I'm not in any contention to run what I consider well but I expect to get an accurate course when I pay $50!  Oh well.  I ran the kids mile with my 6 year old grandson and even that they messed up.  The course volunteers directed the run leaders the wrong way and we ended up running about 3/4 of a mile.  I didn't mind that so much as my grandson had a great time (as did I).  This was a big race put on by a reputable race management company.  Very disappointed.