1500 Miles So Go Run

2022 February: Join in, if you'd like! (Read 11 times)

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Happy running!

(Anybody can start the new month's thread.😁)

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
    5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

I'm also right on plan. Got a destination race later this month (visiting son at college) where it's much hillier than here. Otherwise, just getting in miles.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm having a rough start to February. My DH tested positive on a rapid test, but mine came up negative. I'll do another test tomorrow to verify the first negative. I've got a cold and but I don't think it's COVID. Plus we're a couple of days into another extreme cold warning.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

jeffdonahue

Starting really tired for February - stressful time at work and I haven't slept well in about a week.  Today was tough and I actually went a little against my plan because I still muscled through my tempo run this morning when I was pretty tired and probably should have stayed in bed a little longer and gotten some more rest.  But with the stress, I do feel a little better now at least knowing I got the workout in - even though the tempo run felt MUCH harder than it did running the same time at the same pace last week.

More snow tomorrow so I'll probably work from home and do an easy run on the treadmill.

kcam

Nice work everyone.  Tough to get miles in when we're sick.

I'm just getting in miles, no real plan except to 'try to get fitter' whatever that means.  I did my 10mile race last Saturday and felt really good during the race.  I didn't really race it all-out though I ran very hard.  It's basically 3 miles flat then 2 miles into some serious hills then turn around and come back.  I ran the first 5 at maybe a tempo effort didn't bother trying to push up the hills for the 2 miles.  This meant I was able to run pretty comfortably at a little faster pace on those last 5 back.  All in all, very positive on this race.  I did get 3rd in my 60-69 AG.  I'm only 60 but the 2nd place guy was a 67 year old who beat my by over 2 minutes!

I have a cold as well, Meg.  I also don't think it's Covid but maybe I should do a test as I have three of the ihealth ones in my cabinet.  I think I caught the cold from my 1 year old granddaughter.  I only had one day where it was bad (sore muscles) and I dropped to a 1mile run on  my treadmill to keep my streak alive but I've been able to run normally since then.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Let's hear it for Age Group awards! Big fan here!

I've got my first race of the year next week, and my runs have just been "miles on the road." I'm looking forward to it and hopeful my mojo returns.

MTA I signed up for 2 races in one weekend. I will only "race" one, but it should be fun.

jeffdonahue

This week has been rough - up in VT with no access to a treadmill (for some reason the people at the front desk can't seem to figure out how to give me access to the gym we usually use up here) so I've had to run outside and the roads are narrow and sketchy so I've kept my runs pretty short, just 1-2 miles each day.

I'll call it a rest/deload week I guess.  I have a planned 5K time trial this weekend anyway, so I guess it's good to rest up for that.

jeffdonahue

Time trial 5K went as well as I could have hoped today.

I was a little worried last night though.  It was almost 60 degrees out yesterday so I decided to go outside and shovel for a while and try to get some of the huge mountains dwindled down.  So I spent most of the day shoveling from the big piles and throwing it in the streets.  I went out about every 15 minutes (enough time for what I threw in the street to melt), but when I sat down last night to watch the Olympics my right ankle really hurt.  I must have tweaked it a bit throwing the snow.

It twinged when I stepped out of bed this morning but after walking for a minute felt fine.  So I headed to the gym to do my time trial, figuring if I felt another twinge I would just scrap the 5K and get an easy mile in and rest it up if I had to (HM training start tomorrow).  But I walked a bit on the treadmill and it was fine, ran a warmup mile and it was fine, so I walk a few more minutes and then got into it.

I followed my plan to a tee (aside from apparently screwing up my playlist which should have had 7 songs on it but only had 6, so I instead of 23 minutes worth of music I only had about 19).   Started out with the treadmill at 8.5mph (7:03 page) and after the first two songs I increased by 0.1 so for the 3rd and 4th song I was at 8.7 which was the average pace I wanted for my race.  Then after the fourth and fifth song I increased again and was feeling a bit tired towards the end but held on and did the last .2ish miles at 9.0 mph.

I came in right at 21:20 for the 5K which is right where I wanted to be, and looking at my training log I haven't run a 5K that fast since 2015, so feeling pretty good right now and hopeful that if I continue my training through the rest of the year with no injuries I will be able to knock that down some more by the Fall.  In all honesty I'd like to do a 7:00mpm pace for the Falmouth Road Race in August if I can.

But first, on to my HM training - 69 days until my HM in April and I'd like to do 1:45 or better.

Sorry, I know this was long but I was kind of happy after the run this morning.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That's awesome Jeff! 5ks are hard and I think it's tough to push hard on a time trial.

Ha! I'm barely even aware of age group awards. Where I live, there are a ton of women in their 40s who run and a lot of them are fast!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

kcam

Great work, Jeff.  5K alone, on a treadmill is tough.  21:20 is about 40 seconds faster than the 5,000 I ran on the track with my club three weeks ago, and I had competition.  I've improved a bit since then but I don't think I could muster better than 21:35 right now.  Interesting that you're 'only' shooting for 1:45 for your half.  If I were to be running a 1/2 in April I'd be shooting for <1:40 for sure, maybe even 1:36-1:37.  I guess it just shows we are all very different as runners.  Good luck in your 1/2 training and keep your ankle healthy.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'll just stand here next to you speed demons. That's as close as I'm getting to those speedy numbers. 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

jeffdonahue

I ran a 1:56 last June.  It was the 7th HM in 7 days and I was injured, so I think the 1:45 is a reasonable jump down from there.  I haven't actually "raced" a HM in a few years and was just under 1:40 I think back then.  Ideally, I'd like to eventually get to 1:30 but I'm not really in a rush and with my history of injuries I'm trying to not push anything further than I should to stay healthy.

Plus, yes, I have always been better suited to the shorter distances.  I remember when I used to more 5Ks, those race time predictors when I looked at marathons and HMs were always predicting times I could never hit.

Also, it doesnt mean I'm not going to run it faster in April.  I'm not going to set a pace when I do the HM, just going to go out by feel and see where I land.

Great work, Jeff.  5K alone, on a treadmill is tough.  21:20 is about 40 seconds faster than the 5,000 I ran on the track with my club three weeks ago, and I had competition.  I've improved a bit since then but I don't think I could muster better than 21:35 right now.  Interesting that you're 'only' shooting for 1:45 for your half.  If I were to be running a 1/2 in April I'd be shooting for <1:40 for sure, maybe even 1:36-1:37.  I guess it just shows we are all very different as runners.  Good luck in your 1/2 training and keep your ankle healthy.

kcam

I ran a 1:56 last June.  It was the 7th HM in 7 days and I was injured, so I think the 1:45 is a reasonable jump down from there.  I haven't actually "raced" a HM in a few years and was just under 1:40 I think back then.  Ideally, I'd like to eventually get to 1:30 but I'm not really in a rush and with my history of injuries I'm trying to not push anything further than I should to stay healthy.

Plus, yes, I have always been better suited to the shorter distances.  I remember when I used to more 5Ks, those race time predictors when I looked at marathons and HMs were always predicting times I could never hit.

Also, it doesnt mean I'm not going to run it faster in April.  I'm not going to set a pace when I do the HM, just going to go out by feel and see where I land.

Back in the day I always outperformed the short-race to longer-race predictions from those calculators.  Still do for the most part.  I'm just more aerobically-oriented, I guess.  Correct in that if you train correctly for you it doesn't mean you won't run faster than 1:45.  I always train at, or easier, than current fitness and just see where that takes me and don't stress over paces.

I think that bolded part of your post is a key reason why you have that 14+ year running streak going.   I am SO impressed with that!  You obviously know how to take care of your body.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

I love a detailed training run post! Keep 'em coming!

I'm still slogging along, happily getting impressively slow miles. I've got a lot going on, and am just focused on making the miles happen right now.

kcam

Keep 'slogging' Re-Run, it's good for you!  I did 12.3 miles this morning and kept my HR down into the 'aerobic' region (for me <134bpm), felt like I was 'slogging'!   Towards the end I was getting very tired and just wanted to speed up and get it over with, I resisted though.  That's a sign that my aerobic fitness is not where it needs to be.  More 'slogging' for me!