1500 Miles So Go Run

2023 July (Read 7 times)

kcam

Family can be so fun!   Try to get out on some runs to get some peace and quiet while they are there.

Running has been very spotty for me for some reason the past 8 weeks.  Running only like every other day, nothing really injured just the blahs, I think!  I've kinda gotten back into the swing of things the last two or so weeks, just in time for a track 5K that my club runs twice a year.  This Saturday morning at 8AM.  Luckily it won't be TOO hot at that time yet but it won't be anything great for me since my training has been so poor.  It will be fun though!

HappyFeat

track 5K that my club runs twice a year.  This Saturday morning at 8AM.

Have a great time!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

jeffdonahue

kcam - good luck on your race this Saturday.

Jeff - Sorry to hear about the family coming in - I can definitely relate a bit (though mine do not sound as bad).

My running was iffy this week.  I ended up in the ER last weekend for my back/shoulder.  I pulled something last Wednesday and during the day it had been bearable, but sleeping was rough (something about laying horizontal set it off).  We were on Cape Cod on Saturday and I managed to get through the first night very uncomfortably but the second night I laid down and the pain that went through my whole left side was insane.  My wife said I shot out of bed like a rocket just to get vertical and ease it up.  I tried for about an hour to figure out how to lay down and eventually went to the ER around 1:00 AM for a few hours.  X-Ray and EKG all looked fine so he gave me some oxycodone and muscle relaxers and that let me get some sleep.  I actually slept most of the entire next day on those drugs.  I stopped after day one and haven't had much pain since and I've been sleeping okay.  But I kind of eased up on the running a bit just in case so I didn't jar it too much.

The family and I are heading to Australia next Wednesday so I have no idea what my running will be like while I am gone.  I love running in new places, but some of our excursions leave pretty early in the morning, so I'm going to have to play each day by ear and see what happens.

kcam

Have a great time in Australia, Jeff!

HappyFeat

heffa47 Thinking of you - hope you got the house to the state you wanted by yesterday. Assuming the relatives have arrived - feel free to vent here.

kcam  I see the Saturday race was a no-go. Always good to listen to your body. Hope today's run felt better.

JeffD  Glad you got the muscle spasm sorted out before you upcoming looong plane ride. Only 3 more sleeps!!

I had a couple run/walks this past week, then a long day out walking around at a couple outdoor events yesterday. From one or both of those activities, my right hip spasm is back. So no "run" today. Saving myself for a short hike tomorrow.

kcam

You are right, HappyFeat, we have to listen to what our bodies are telling us.  Try to get that hip spasm under control is, of course, the smart thing to do.  Hike tomorrow and enjoy it!

As for my race, it was very odd.  I was cruising along even had someone right with me to run with.  But when I came around the track after 6 laps I just veered into the finishing lane.  I didn't 'feel' running another 6 laps.  Not injured or feeling any tweaks just a mental thing.  Turns out when I looked at the data from that run my HR was up around 160 which is very high.  I would normally race a 5K at HR of maybe 153 and then at the end it might jump to 160 as I try to finish hard.  I just think I went out too fast for my fitness, hence why I felt I had to bail at that point.  Good news is I didn't damage myself.  Was able to run 10 hilly miles at easy pace this morning.

I've also got a nice 11 day running streak going.  That's an achievement for me lately.  I know jeffd would rightly scoff at that streak!

HappyFeat

kcam Maybe your intuition was guiding you to call it early. You never know what calamity you may have avoided.  Nice to follow that with a satisfying long run and keep your streak going.

No hike tomorrow for me after all bc my buddy postponed to Thursday. That's ok -  gives me more time to get my hip to stop squawking.

jeffd - Seems like as I get older sleeping is my main source of injury. If I let myself get in an awkward position I will pay for it the next couple of days. I was having some knee pain recently (I think I have a slightly torn meniscus) and laying down to sleep was the worst. I slept on the couch a couple nights with my knees bent and it completely fixed the issue. Now I have a knee wedge for the bed and the knee has not bothered me since.

kcam - non-runners will never understand that it takes more discipline to bail on a race than it does to get up and run every day.

I managed to get the dining room put back together before the relatives arrived. It has not been quite as annoying as expected. They have done a couple days on their own. Two more days! PS. Dining room after picture in profile.

HappyFeat

heffa47  The dining room looks very nice -- you did a great job! Glad the visit isn't as rough and tumble as you feared. Hang in there!

I did my hike yesterday -- 3.3 miles which took us a couple hours. It was great to be back on the trail even though not running it. I felt fine for the hike, but left knee tendons were telling me all about it for the rest of the day. Then today the front of the right hip was hurting again, so other than errands I didn't do any walking for exercise. It's better tonight, so maybe I'll even try a walk/run tomorrow.