1500 Miles So Go Run

April 2024 (Read 4 times)

kcam

It's full-on spring here and I am enjoying getting out for beautiful runs before it starts to get hot.   Running is going well though I've developed a niggle on the very top of my left foot.  I don't feel it walking or running but it's tender to the touch.  I've been icing it and it is getting better.

Ran a 1500m track race with my club yesterday.  6:18; a good result and  better than I thought I'd run.  How's everything going for the rest of the crew?  Jeff, how's the recovery coming?

HappyFeat

Kcam - sounds like a stellar race result! You are def putting in the dedicated training and reaping the rewards. Regarding your niggle - you've tried loosening your shoelace, yes? Or threading it so it doesn't run overtop the tender spot?

I'm still stuck in the labyrinth that is PMR. Trying to consistently "run" every other day, and for the last month have abandoned the run-walk intervals in favor of continuous running. The  balance problem continues, so I'm still using the stroller. Have had quite a few walks using hiking poles tho, so a bit of improvement at the moment.  I'm disappointed that I still haven't regained the running mechanics I used to take for granted, but it's not surprising given the impairment in my hips/glute/core. Trying to stay patient. I read more often now of those (who like me got PMR after the vax or after having covid) who have recently gotten over this in the 1.5 to 2-year time-frame. I'm at 1.5 years now, so I believe my time is coming.

Sharing a quote on patience that was in a PT newsletter I get.

"Patience is not passive resignation; nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all we can - working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed."

Dieter Uchtdorf

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

jeffdonahue

Kcam, sounds like a great race result.  Congratulations.

HF -  Thanks for the quote - that is exactly what I am going through right now.  Patience is Hard!!!!!!!

Hi guys.  Recovery is slow.  Today is one month since my surgery so it's really weird that I haven't run in a month.

I had PT this morning and asked how we would know when I would be okay to start running again.  She said when I can do all the exercises with no pain, and no knee pain the next day (as I have found that it is pretty sore the days after PT when they add newer, harder exercises).  But she said we are going to hit a point where we'll just say "Okay, let's try an easy run".  I'm hoping that is within the next couple of weeks because I know I have been a cranky little B**** for the past month and she'd love me to start running and clear my head some more.

On the other side of this, I have also gained back 7 of the 14 pounds that I had lost since the beginning of the year.  So that's fun.  With no running, I need to watch what I eat more but with the mental state I'm in I just haven

kcam

Keep at it guys and girls and be patient!

I have tried changing up the lacing method for my running shoes.  Right now they have all been changed to the 'Butterfly Lace' method and I've been running with them like that for a couple weeks but I just googled some more lacing techniques and I may change them all to the 'Skip Lace' method which is supposed to help with top of foot pain.

Lacing methods

HappyFeat

This has better pictures.

https://gearjunkie.com/footwear/running-footwear/how-to-lace-running-shoes

I've had that top of foot pain from the lacing pressing on a vein there. The pics that show how you skip an area are what worked for me. I'm not having to do it currently, just need to make sure the laces are not too tight. I use elastic laces.

kcam

I'm not sure it's the lacing.  I've laced the same for decades and didn't have this problem.  Also run in multiple different shoes.  Anyway, I'm trying different lacing methods as well icing and it seems to be getting better slowly.

jeffdonahue

I had PT today and they gave me a "Return to Running Protocol" which means I can start to run this week.  The build-up is slow - very indicitave of a Walk to Run program so this week will be Walk 5 minutes, run 1 minute for a half hour and then every week I'll increase the run interval by a minute, and decrease the walking by a minute.  But at least it's something.  According to the plan I should be fully running with no walk breaks (unless I want them) by the end of May.  

kcam

Woohoo!  Great news, Jeff.

HappyFeat

Wonderful news, JeffD!!

With the end of April, this is what my "return to running" looks like. Charts like this help me to see progress when I feel like it's not happening. I've just done about 6 weeks of every other day Stroller Runs and that has been a big accomplishment. It's always a challenge and feels harder than it should. A natural running motion still eludes me, but I intend to be ready for it when things fall into place. Did I tell you I'm lined up to see a PT in July who does neuromuscular proprioceptive retraining? If I haven't figured it out by then, I hope he will be able to help.

kcam

Great progress, Happy Feat!

On another note, HF, in the last 3 months three people I know have had heart attacks with one being fatal.

One person is my neighbor who, though he is not physically active besides walking, is what one would call skinny, does not smoke or drink.  I believe he's been a vegetarian his entire life.  He survived and now has a stent.  The other two are in my running club and are very good friends.  Both were not the prototypical HA victim (no smoking, drinking, very active, normal weight ...).  One guy died immediately, he was 65 and the other fellow had a very similar HA as mine - major occlusions in the LAD with stents installed.  He's been a vegetarian for the past 35 years and he's 68 years old.  Running surely does not innoculate you from atherosclerosis.  Stay healthy and keep close watch on your cardiovascular health!

jeffdonahue

Nice work HF.

What is neuromuscular proprioceptive retraining?

HappyFeat

What is neuromuscular proprioceptive retraining?

That's a very good question! It's listed in the bio of this PT I'm scheduled to see. I don't know if you've heard of a website called PubMed, but it's a reputable (and searchable) database with the National Institutes of Health which gives access to scientific literature. It's a great resource for curious people like me. I looked at several articles and learned there is no standardized treatment protocol. And individual practitioner could have his own method. So I'll just have to see what happens with this guy. Anyway, here's a definition from one of those articles:

"Proprioceptive training is any intervention aiming to improve proprioceptive function with the ultimate goal to enhance motor function and performance. It has been promoted as an approach to enhance athletic performance and as a tool for sensorimotor rehabilitation."