1500 Miles So Go Run

2022 September - Fall is coming (Read 8 times)

jeffdonahue

That sounds nice.  It is amazing how fast people are driving at that time of the morning in the dark - seriously, it's like 5:15 in the morning, how late could you possibly be?

LOL!  If it keeps you from getting run over!  Im retired so I'm fortunate to be able to wait for commuters to get off my roads before I run.  Dagnabit!

kcam

kcam I listened to a podcast today interviewing a sports cardiologist who referred to a book called The Haywire Heart. Have you ever heard of it?

Here's a link to GoodRead's synopsis on it. My library has it, so I'm going to request it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33815178-the-haywire-heart

I had not heard of this book or author.  I never wanted to believe that what I used to do could contribute to cardiovascular problems but there is certainly a lot of evidence pointing that way.  So many of the members of my running club have heart issues now, and these guys were very fast in their day and trained unlike I'd ever heard of amateurs doing.  Interestingly, the older ladies in the club don't have any cardiovascular issues.  Having already had arterial calcification/inflammation leading to a heart attack, I'll likely read that book for some clues as to how to proceed with my running now.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

BTW, can yo point me to the podcast?  Thanks! 

Update:  that book is in my library as well but I'll have to get it sent over to my branch.

HappyFeat

kcam You can play the episode directly from the page linked below. The podcast is called "The Physical Performance Show" if you prefer to search it from your podcast app. She is the latest episode #347.

https://physicalperformanceshow.com/episode/dr-jessica-orchard-sports-cardiology-cardiac-screening-researcher-assoc-editor-bjsm_bmj-cardiac-health-for-the-endurance-athlete/

I have to get through "The Chaos Machine: The inside story of how social media rewired our minds and our world" by Max Fisher before I request Haywire. Might be a week or so since I just picked up Chaos today.

ETA: You mentioned in the GSP that the elliptical helped your running. Why do you think that was?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

kcam

LOL, the 'GSP'!  You must be an RA OG to know about the GSP!

Here's what I know about the elliptical (experiment of one):

When I was 50 I was running the most mileage ever and doing a lot of racing and setting a whole lot of PRs.  When I started adding in that 1 hour elliptical workout every day after dinner (on top of all my normal running mileage and workouts) my weight dropped to the lowest it has been since I was about 13 years old.  Coincidentally, I set even more PRs including big marathon PRs.  The elliptical certainly didn't hurt my 'running form' and absolutely helped with low-intensity cardio training to burn more calories and add some fitness without tiring me out.

HappyFeat

I started here in late 1999, I think. Came over from CoolRunning. I know it was way before I moved here which was 2000.

LOL, the 'GSP'!  You must be an RA OG to know about the GSP!

kcam

Is 1999 when Cool Running went down?  That's when I came over here as well.  Eric imported all my CR data for me.

HappyFeat

Looks like I am mistaken about the history. Google says:

Cool Running Acquired by Active Network
                By David Monti
                (c) 2007 Race Results Weekly, all rights reserved
                January 16, 2007

Cool Running, the independent New England-focused running website which was one of the original internet outposts for runners, has been

acquired by Active Network, Inc. a leading event registration company, Active announced in a press release yesterday.

Eric imported my data too. My memory is playing tricks on me then because I just looked up that old Excel doc and it goes from 1999 to 2007. So I was with CoolRunning for that time period, not RA.

HappyFeat

https://youtu.be/IY4xE6DSog4

David Roche demonstrating "How to Use the Elliptical for Runners". Hmm.

I'm going to take a stab at Anytime Fitness on a weekly basis for a few weeks because it's free with my Premera supplement and because I want to try something new for leg day! I was thinking of the stair-climber which looks like the contraption above except the footwells go up and down. I went to look around today and got on that, but couldn't figure out the programming. I had it set on level one and each foot dropped like a very slow mo elevator. Not right somehow. I go back tomorrow to meet with a "coach" (I think that's a very loose term) for an intro. I'll get him to show me how it works.  Other than that, I like the leg press and the adductor/abductor machine. I didn't see too much else that appealed to me since I already have free weights and a bench at home.

kcam

LOL, I don't remember what year either, I just know I left cool running when it was imploding. They were dumping the running log which is 90% of what I did on CR, and on RA too.

Back when I was using the elliptical we had a 24hr fitness membership.  It was 2 blocks from our house so we'd walk over after dinner.  Once it closed that was the end of that because I certainly will not drive to a gym as I'm too lazy. Now I use one of the old school wooden Nordic Tracks I bought on Craigslist for $20.

HappyFeat

Yeah - we want to explore the gym option to fill in some gaps, but that might (ETA: NOT) be enough to justify the driving involved or the effort of trying to sync our daily activities with it (my running, his swimming). We'll see over the next few weeks. Gosh, I sound like I'm talking myself out of it already!

I'm a third of the way through reading "Chaos". Can I just say how depressing it is? It's painful getting educated!

kcam

I checked that Chaos title in our library and there is a big demand for it.  Lots of copies (paper ad digital) but all checked out and holds placed already.

Here is my "home gym"!  I clip my phone to the phone mount and off I go.  Boring as hayl.

Does the above show now?  After I posted the photo, I was going through Google Photos and deleting photos I didn't think I needed anymore ...  deleted this one (without realizing it would then delete from the post)!  If you post a photo on the interwebs ya have to leave it in your web host forever, if you want it to show up forever.  Ding dong.

HappyFeat

Hmm, no pic showed up in your post. Can't wait to see the home gym!

The Chaos Machine was just published last month which, besides the topic, probably accounts for the high demand. Here's a few reviews that summarize it. Obviously the book is far more in depth (~350 pages).  I highly recommend it.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/sep/22/the-chaos-machine-by-max-fisher-review-how-social-media-rewired-our-world

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58950649-the-chaos-machine

Johns Hopkins University:  https://hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2022/fall/chaos-machine-fisher-book-review/

HappyFeat

Yes the pic is there now. I've never seen one like that before. Looks like a simulated ski thing perhaps. I'll take a pic of the view from my TM in what we call "the shop" as in ("workshop") and one of my spare room that was transformed about 10 years ago into a workout room for weights, yoga, etc.

kcam

It is a cross-country ski trainer, 1975 or so vintage!  I like it.  Simple, wooden, no electronics involved, lightweight and does the job.  I used to have a giant plastic/metal contraption from Nordic track but got sick of that huge thing in my office.  I sold it and bought this one to replace it.

HappyFeat

So when all else failed, "copy image" worked although it made a small image quite large! This is obviously my TM view. Sadly the neighbors recently cut down about 30 alder trees, so my view is quite a bit more open. When we first moved in, there was grass where there is now bark; but it couldn't survive with all the shade. Yes, the mottled look of my TM bumper is SWEAT!