1500 Miles So Go Run

2022 May - Warmer weather coming? (Read 5 times)

jeffdonahue

Really struggling right now. I was pretty sick the second half of last week - sore throat, cough, headache (testing for Covid several times but all were negative).  Now I'm down to just a little tickle in my throat, but my energy level is at zero.  I got up this morning and went to the gym but after running a mile, I had to stop and walk.  Then I stretched and hit the massage chair for 10 minutes (almost fell asleep), after which it was still early so I thought I'd try to do a little lifting - got through half a set and was just too tired.  Hoping this passes in the next day or so but it's putting a dent in my motivation too.

HappyFeat

JeffD Here's hoping you bounce back soon! Is it possible to get a false negative result from the home test?  It sounds like "it", doesn't it? Here's my 2-cents: Take it super easy until you're recovered because even though you tested negative, I imagine you're more vulnerable when in a "weakened state" such as you describe.They say the standard length of time of the average cold is 10 days. Count your days to judge how you're doing - that's what I do. The "dent in your motivation" is your body's way of enforcing its need to rest and recuperate. What's that saying that's going around? Something like "Listen to its whisper, so you don't have to hear it scream!"

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

jeffdonahue

yes, it is possible it was a false negative.  I also got a PCR test though and that too was negative.

But overall it does sound like "it" and my wife believes it was - if it was it, I'm past the 5 day period but just still have some lingering symptoms.  Still taking it easy.

jeffdonahue

So I'm feeling mostly better now, but now my wife has what I had (and of course blames me).

Ran my first live 5K race last night in 4 years.  Came in at 21:48 - had hoped to be under 7mpm but I'm okay with the result and it was good enough to grab me 1st in my AG (which is now M50-59).  Overall, it was a decent race, a lot of turns in it with one U-turn (hate those).  But really just wanted to use the race as a baseline for my fitness and my training for the Falmouth Road Race in August.

HappyFeat

JeffD Congratulations on a great race! The turns probably ate up your extra seconds. Glad you're feeling so good since being sick. Fingers crossed no further issues with that.

I've been steadily closing the gap between the bunny and I, but I'll lose ground this month when we go out of town for 14 days. Four full days driving time, family time, exploring time, down time - all penciled in. If there's any opportunities (and safe areas) for running, I'll do what I can. Mostly what I want to do is not catch covid!

kcam

That's not bad for a baseline. Whatever you had you've bounced back nicely from.  Should get better from here.  The second worst thing that I can see in a race course is a 'cone-in-the-road' turnaround', boy do I hate those (worst is a hill!).

I've got no races on the upcoming schedule, will have to remedy that.  I do run a 'race' with my club roughly every other Saturday.  This morning is a 4.7mile very hilly course that I'm getting ready to head down there for.  Informal, just us club members, all you get is a time.  I'm just hoping to run under 34 minutes.  Last time I ran the course I ran 33:47.  I'm not sure I can do that as it seems I've taken a step back in race times lately.

kcam

I ran 33:33 at my club race/workout today, so I did better than expected, yay!  Happyfeat, you never updated on your 10K (or I missed it?).  How'd you do?

HappyFeat

Congrats KCam - well under 34! Awesome!

My 10K race was slower than I'd have liked, but had a huge Reward. Here's the deal - It did not occur to me that the course has rolling hills with some pretty long downhill stretches. Funnily enough, I'd been having a problem over the last few months with imbalance on downhill slants of any degree. I felt like I lost my gravity to the ground and was going to tip over forward, sometimes even walking them, and have to be oh so careful - honestly terrifying at times. So naturally this is how my race went, but I got through it and came home determined to figure out WTF is going on...and I did. Turns out the sleep remedy I've been taking for the last 5 years can possibly cause this problem. I stopped taking it immediately and after just one night of not taking it, the imbalance has cleared up! I've tested it out in running and hiking - and apparently I'm good to go!

So that was my "reward" for running the 10K.

kcam

Just saw this ... was on vacay in FL and then NY.

Congrats on figuring that out!!  Wow, 5 years of taking something that has a side effect of impacting your balance - now THAT is a great result for your 10K!  How's your sleep now, though?

Reminds me of when I was younger and the doc put me on a Beta Blocker BP med called Atenolol.  It works by affecting heart rate/blood circulation.  I took that for about 4 years and my running went to crap, felt like I was running with a weight on my shoulders.  I moved and got a new doctor who immediately recognized that I, as a runner, should NOT be on any kind of HR limiting BP med.  He switched me to an Angiotensin II Receptor Antagonist class med and I immediately felt like a new man.  Crazy, 4 years of struggling and then BLAM feeling great on runs.  Oh well, it's all good now.

jeffdonahue

Happyfeat, that is great that you figured that out.  My wife has had several instances of things like this, where she was taking a certain medication and not realizing effects it was having, but after stopping for a day or so those side effects would go away.  Always worth looking at different medications that may not have that side effect.  i have a similar issue with my high cholesterol medication.  It causes some bad joint pain if I take it at the recommended dosage, and if I stop for two days the pain is completely gone.  I now take half a pill just 3 days a week.  It helps my cholesterol enough to keep my doctor happy but the pain is less severe.

On my front, I am in bad shape right now.  Since the 5K I did, my sciatica pain has been pretty bad.  Two six hour plane rides and sitting in conferences for a week didn't help.  And now that i'm home, I have Covid so I've been laid up in bed for 5 days now and that's not helping either.  I'm trying to move around as much as I can but I'm quarantined to one room in my house so i don't infect my family.  Doctor has said to quarantine until Friday based on my symptoms.  Also, when I do get my runs in I can really feel a restriction in my breathing/chest so that sucks too.

At this point I don't think I'll get in any decent training for my race in August so I'll just run that one for fun and shift my training focus to a Fall HM once everything is back to normal.

HappyFeat

JeffD - sorry to hear you have covid! Don't push the return to running if you have any lung symptoms - I've heard bad things about that and it's just not worth it. Have you ever gone to PT for your sciatica? I've got a variety of yoga stretches and poses and PT maneuvers to throw at it when either my left SI joint issue or right  sciatica flare up.

I'm on a road trip until the 28th, so my running and weight training is on hold for a 2-week period. I'm also using my tablet for Internet communication - which feels like a painstaking task. I don't know how people get used to doing this kind of thing on their phones. Give me my desktop PC!

kcam - that was a lucky break for you to get a runner savvy doc! You paid your dues with the one prior though!

Yeah, the imbalance didn't happen right away. I kinda noticed things were different a year ago when I'd go trail running and kept saying "I gotta do more yoga and balance work". Just in the last few months though - well since January after I had the heart attack - it got dramatically worse. I feared it was related to that or was possibly something neurological.  I'm thrilled to have solved the mystery. I'm trying a melatonin+herb remedy when I really can't go to sleep, but I feel like there is a wierd after-effect with that, so mostly keeping it in reserve. Honestly I've been having some success with a mindfulness technique where I focus on the weight of my body on the bed, where parts of my body are making contact and deep breathing.

This has gotten to be quite a long post. Over and out!!😁

jeffdonahue

Thanks, I have been to PT quite a few times over the past 10 years (when I first developed it playing soccer).  I have a stretching regimen that will get rid of it.  The hard part this week is that I am working on my bed, and am isolated to my bedroom which doesnt allow much room for getting up and moving around during the day nor is there a large area for stretching.  Once I am back to the office and gym next week I can do my stretching more religiously and walking around helps a lot as well and it should clear up in a week or so.

JeffD - sorry to hear you have covid! Don't push the return to running if you have any lung symptoms - I've heard bad things about that and it's just not worth it. Have you ever gone to PT for your sciatica? I've got a variety of yoga stretches and poses and PT maneuvers to throw at it when either my left SI joint issue or right  sciatica flare up.

HappyFeat

Well, I feel for you JeffD. Being confined and limited in what you can do sucks!  Sending all the healing vibes your way.

kcam

Feel better, Jeff.

kcam

Anyone racing on the 4th?  I'm racing a 5K that I'll be shooting for about 21:30.