2000Km-1243 mile club

September 2014 (Read 13 times)

HappyFeat

I have my 24 hour race in 2 weeks

Sooo....are you full of anticipation to get this underway and curiosity to see how you measure up to the challenge?  Or simply freaked out over what you're attempting?  That is a long time to be running.  Will you listen to music, books on tape, podcasts? What is the distance of each loop?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Sooo....are you full of anticipation to get this underway and curiosity to see how you measure up to the challenge?  Or simply freaked out over what you're attempting?  That is a long time to be running.  Will you listen to music, books on tape, podcasts? What is the distance of each loop?

Nervous anticipation probably best describes it, mixed with freaking out.....worst thing is not really having any idea how i am going to cope.

The race itself is on a 400 m track, so round and round......at least I will always only be a short distance from my gear. :-)

I have also added some extra pressure on myself.  Normally I am a selfish runner, I do things for myself, but a couple of weeks back I decided to raise funds for Hearing House charity. They provide cochlear implants and therapy for profoundly deaf kiddies.  I set myself a goal of raising $300 but as of this afternoon I was up to about $800.  It has completely blown me away.  Mind you, only one person has been brave enough to sponsor me per KM :-)  Now means that a lot more people will be watching me....
      I will try and post updates here during the race or maybe put photos of the leader board in drop box.  Will let you all know.

As for what I will listen to.  Got a bunch o f music, and podcasts. Then I will talk to others, finally probably just draw into my own shell....i guess.

Any way easy week this weeks. Happy running all

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Puke - thanks for sharing an important reminder to enjoy our runs and our life.

Now, I'll have to come up with something positive to say about my long run, ha! Started late to avoid a storm and It was hot and humid, hopefully the last hot one of the year as most morning temps are down to 10*C these days.  Anyhow it's done. 11 miles - 2:25:00 (slow) Hamstrings are a lot better....Not feeling 100% confident about my race in 4 weeks. Looking for 13 miles and cool breezes next time.

Busy upcoming week, I'll be running super early. I'm going to try for a 90 min on Wednesday in laws are on their way Thursday...

Happy Monday, A

Humidity just sucks.  Anyway a slow run is still better than no run.  Glad to hear the hammies are better.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Oh my, a 400 m oval track seems so small. I assume they let you change direction every so often? Maybe you can push your daughter in the stroller when you're feeling sleepy; it would be something to hold on to and a reason to perk up.  How many runners are participating? They should have live music! Wouldn't that be great?!  Do they?

Fantastic fundraising on your part! Wonderful! I can see it would put a little added pressure on you, but perhaps it will be a positive stimulus.

Where has this week gone? Tomorrow is another weekend LR already! My plan calls for 14 miles with 11 at MP. After joining my trail-running buddy in the morning for a "3-hour yoga, deep relaxation and guided meditation" workshop that they are calling a "Fall Tune-Up", she will join me for the run. I hope we are able to transition from a slow morning to a fast run. Guess we'll see how it unfolds.

Happy - sounds like a great Sunday.

Puke - Wow, how many loops in 24 hours?! That sounds like a meditative practice ...  Pretty good motivation for me to get 13 miles done tomorrow. I will be down in the park tomorrow dreaming of walking and coffee but I will immediately perk up, keep going and cheer you on. This weekend or next?

I managed 90 minutes early Wednesday morning, I ran maybe 2 miles at HM pace the rest pretty slow. Felt good, But I was fairly tired the next day (seems ridiculous typing that out in light of a 24 hour run). I'll do it again next week. looks like another warm and sticky one tomorrow, summer is hanging on... It will nice for afternoon BBQ with the parents.

What are everyone's plans for post race (winter here in North America ) running?

Happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

What are everyone's plans for post race (winter here in North America ) running?

Sorry - I honestly can't think beyond today's running plan at the moment. It's day by day for me.

I'll see how the race goes and make a plan from there.

My yoga/running date is today - in an hour. So I'm working out some of the kinks in advance....yikes, there's a lot.

A few questions to answer, will try and remember them all.

We get to change direction every 4 hours, woohoo.

Hoping to do at least 400 laps which would make it 160 km.  Although 410 is closer to 100 miles......NZ ultramarathon team qualification is 200 km. That's only 500 laps.......

Aren't allowed to run with support of any sort on the track, so couldn't run with the daughter.  I will have a box of stuff on the side of the track, a cooler bin for some of my own food and drinks, and a chair for shoe changing.  You can get help from supporters off the track.

Don't think they have music, from what I have seen most people just have there own music.

There are 15 people doing 24 hours, 6 doing 12 hours and 13 doing 6 hours.  Sounds like numbers are down from previous years, but I guess that isn't too bad as it will be less congested.  Should be able to spend more time in Lane 1. Supposedly that is important :-)

My race starts on 9 am on the 27th which means it is probably still the 26th in the US.

Hope you long runs went well Happy and Ayola.  13km for me this weekend. That's it.  Easing off.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

You did great on answering all our questions! That's a sure sign of the patience and fortitude which you are likely to need in the 24-hour.

400 laps...............puts all other runs into a different perspective for sure.

Thanks for the exact timing of the event. I will be thinking of you as you are running.

Oh, I thought of one more! Are there other 24-hour Virgins taking part?

My long run went according to plan today (yay!), which totally surprised me. I had to work for it, but that's the norm for me. My plan called for 14 miles with the middle 11 at goal pace (hah!) I had hoped skipping the midweek tempo would enable me to do it, but I wasn't counting on it. At the end of the second mile, I still didn't think it was doable, but said to my friend "This is where we see what I can do today." and away we went. I don't see how I could run a marathon at that pace, but no doubt this run will make me stronger for whatever pace I finally run it at

The yoga workshop was totally worthwhile and was not unbearably slow like I feared. It was good. Lots of hip and back stretching and mobilizing that I really need, esp before a long run. All movements done coordinated with breathing in or out; not as easy as it sounds.

HappyFeat

Ayola, I see you did 13 miles for your LR on Saturday. Solid! How do you feel now? The bunny is only a quarter mile ahead of you. Hope tomorrow's run goes well and you get ahead of it.

I ran 7 EZ tonight which was what my original marathon training plan called for. I had thought I'd change it to 8 miles, but in the middle of the 6th, my legs had other ideas. No big problem, they just felt stressed. So I decided 7 miles was Perfect.

I got ahead of my September month bunny for about a half day, ha!

It was warm, so I planned for a slow even paced run so although it was very slow I'm happy with it. There was a lot of walking in the last mile just weaving around tourists on the boardwalk, but I felt I could have run further  at the same pace. I walked for another 40 minutes after the run. I'll hope for a cooler day on Saturday for 12.

Yesterday I rested and had a massage, today an easy 30 min and tomorrow 90 minutes (some at perceived HM race pace) it's all not reflected in my calendar plan, but I'm a bit twisted because of guests and Im leaving out those fast intervals to save the hamstrings.

happy Tuesday, A

Recalculating...

Nice run A

Me, just been cruising this week.  7 and a bit km only I think.

Thinking I will try and put photos of the leader board in my drop box during the day and night so you can follow how I am going.  But that will all depend how i am feeling :-)

Dropbox here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1u9qa504umsdqof/AACQbvLjD33xNAbWz1roJx7wa?dl=0

Looking forward to getting started.  But that is about it......

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Best of luck, Puke !!! Wishing you a strong mind and body as your pursue the goal. Go GET it!

MTA: I clicked on your dropbox link...GREAT photo of you and your daughter!  Love the round-and-round video clip too  - very cute!

Hope it all goes very well for you.

Good luck Puke! We are rooting for you, A

Recalculating...

Have been uploading the odd photo but hard to show time. Anyway 12 hour update. 102 km.  smashing it for now but starting to slow down. Glad you liked the video. Just like this race. Right. Better start running.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Have been uploading the odd photo but hard to show time. Anyway 12 hour update. 102 km.  smashing it for now but starting to slow down. Glad you liked the video. Just like this race. Right. Better start running.

Whooo hooo!  GO  Brian!!   160 km is within reach! Go GET it!!!