2000Km-1243 mile club

August 2012 (Read 270 times)

HappyFeat

I had a great time in my trail HM today. The course was fabulous - full of variety and lovely scenery.  There was no chance for anything much to get sore because the muscles being used kept changing. Uphill, downhill, level, meadow path, gravel road, dirt road, dirt track, thick cushiony forest floor (perfect for my first faceplant!), makeshift wooden bridges over muddy rivulets, you name it!

Naturally this is the hottest weekend of the year so far here - so I'm not really acclimated to it.  I am so thankful that 80% of it was in the shade - although sweat does NOT evaporate in a dense forest. To keep from overheating, I chose not to run full speed and I walked often in short spurts on the steepest uphills and some tricky downhill stuff to get cooler and to be careful since I was tired. Plus I poured water all over myself at each of the 4 aid stations and drank their Heed as well as the Perpeteum I was carrying. I also opted to take an S-cap before the race and was glad I did for the peace of mind.

I wish I could subtract all that time at the aid stations, plus what I spent going off course - but it is what it is. I came in at about 2:36. I wanted to be under 2:40 and hoped for 2:30 not factoring in that it might be hot; so I really can't complain.  I'm still solidly in the middle of the pack, coming in  41 out of 83 runners, and first of 3 in my age group. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

That sounds lovely - I'm trail running vicariously! Last weekend I installed wood flooring with the father-in-law, next weekend sanding and painting. I'm hoping for two short runs this week. Happy Monday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Ayola, it sounds like you have had to put running on the back burner due to the new house, is that right? Do you miss running or are you too worn out from all your other labors to miss it?

Definitely both. Weekends are completely reserved for labor on the new house - and I find I don't physically recover until Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning. (I did run 3.5 yesterday) . The office has been very busy as well. I mostly miss the mental break that running allows me and Im dissapointed about cancelling my races this year. My mom suggested I take some time off from work, so I'm on a 4 day work week until mid September - gives me time to pack/ unpack. I hope to rebuild running after things settle down at the end of September. Hope you guys don't mind me still hanging out here... A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, Elkhorn was really beautiful--and tough. I'm not used to that altitude, both Tahoe and Elkhorn kicked my butt. I got my training plan for the next 2 weeks and after this recovery week I start hard training for RDL. Ugh--the dreaded back-to-back long runs start next weekend!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Ayola - the group wouldn't be the same without you, so don't go anywhere!  Hope to see some miles adding up for you in September.

PerfesserR - remember you're doing this because you enjoy it, right? I don't think the training process is supposed to feel like punishment.I hope the recovery week really recharges your batteries before you start up again.

MTA: of course you know I'm being facetious, right? My words came back to haunt me as I completed tonight's run - ugh!

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, happy, I really do enjoy this in a way. I just like to gripe.

ayola: sit. stay.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

ayola: sit. stay.

Love this!

BTW, have you read "Winterdance" by Gary Paulsen? I just re-read it. What a great read. It's about a man, his dogs, and his first time running the Iditarod.

Updated Saturday:

I think I've settled on signing up for the Skagit Flats HM on Sept 8 instead of the 25K trail race on Sept 2. The idea is it would be a measure of my progress towards my 2-hr HM goal because it's flat. I wouldn't be up for the effort if I ran the trail race the weekend before it. I have time for just 3 or 4 more tempo runs at one per week, and plan to alternate 10 and 14 miles on the Saturdays.  I guess I'd be pretty ready a for a trial run at the goal. I don't think I'm close, but no way to judge short of trying.  Today's 10-miler on the road was harder than I thought it would be - just proves trails are easier on the body.

Updated Thurs. 8/16:

Got this input from someone else. Now I'm in a quandary, wondering if I physically could do both.

"Do both...if you do the 25K and manage energy, it becomes your long run for that weekend. Since it's a trail run, your save all the pavement pounding. Then the 1/2 on Sept 8th, run the first 8 -10 hard and then jog it in to test your readiness for 2 hours. Just something to think about...."

I just might go for it.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, I agree, if you can do the trail 25k easy, and don't get sucked into racing it, it could be a great workout and not tire you out too much for your HM. The trail won't pound your legs too much and I think your recovery will be pretty quick. The key here is running the trail race nice and easy, and just enjoy it. But then, I'm a Maniac so take my advice with a grain of salt!

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll check that out!

HappyFeat

After further thought, I've decided not to do both after all.  I wish I was fit enough to do it, but I felt the after-effects of that 3-hour trail run I did last month through the next week.  I'm sure the 25K will probably take me 3 hours to run (and I would doubtless run it as hard as I could - no self control at all in a race sitch) and then I wouldn't feel fully primed for a good effort at the HM the following weekend. After recently running 14-14-13 in a row (weekly LR's last month or so) and seeing how that felt, I've decided to go back to my plan of alternating 10 miles every other weekend and longer on the alternates.

Interesting day.  Went out this morning for a 3.5 hour trail run.  Great morning, great weather.  An hour in and I was feeling great and then things went drastically wrong.  I caught my foot on a root, couldn't get my balance and went down...onto the end of a tree limb just off the trail.  I saw it coming and managed to roll a little and landed across the limb on my ribs and back.  Thankfully it caught all rib and missed the soft tissue below (or that would have been really, really bad).  Knocked the wind out of me.  Felt sorry for the guy behind me who got to stop and help this stranger who could not breathe.  Before long there were 5 people there and they helped me get comfortable until I could get my breath back.

Once back on my feet I started walking.  I figured I would walk a little until I was breathing normally and then go back to running.  It didn't take long to figure out that things were worse than I thought I wasn't going to be doing any running.  Right about then some people in my running group came by and immediately stopped their run to get me some help.  They ran ahead to find a phone while I came along behind.  We found a phone, called my wife (left a voicemail) and then someone said their car was close and they would drive me back to my car.  As we walked toward her car it became harder and harder to breathe.  I just couldn't take a full breath and my breaths were getting shallower and shallower.  Time for plan C: call 911 and get an ambulance. While we waited on the ambulance, I was getting shorter and shorter of breath.  I was really starting to panic.  The ambulance arrived and, after answering a bunch of questions, they put me on oxygen and took me to the hospital.

Cutting to the end, after x-rays, it was determined that I hadn't broken anything, didn't have bruised lungs and no apparent internal injuries.  Just very badly bruised ribs.  Like you would expect when you fall down hard across a log.  It'll take 2-3 weeks to heal during which time it is going to be fun to breathe and things like coughing and laughing will be an adventure.  But it could have been so much worse, so I'm thankful that it was nothing more serious.

I figure at least 20 people helped me along the way.  People who walked with, called my wife, gave me towels, called 911, directed the ambulance, or just stayed with me.  Of these I knew 2 casually and 2 I had shared water with on the trail one day.  The rest were total strangers.  It definitely makes you feel good about humanity.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Shocked oh wow! It all sounds very traumatic. What a relief you weren't more seriously hurt AND that you were not alone when it happened.

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, phibes, I'm glad you're OK. That's nice that those runners helped you. If that were a road race they would have trampled you! Wink

I finished my first intensive week  training for Rio and I'm tired! Finished the week with 100k! YEsterday was 26 on trails and today was a tough 15-mile hill workout--the dreaded back-to-back. I'm not going to make a habit of this!

MTA: The highlight of today's run was about mile 12 when I was surrounded by a pack of 4 Pit Bulls, their owner uselessly calling them until they lost interest in me. It was pretty scary at first. Stupid dog owners. 

HappyFeat

Impressive week, PerfesserR! You're tough!

I did 14 miles on the paved bike trail today, rolling hills route. First time out on the bike trail since the woman was assaulted a few weeks ago. I ran with pepper spray/tear gas combo canister firmly in hand. Hope I never have to use it since I'm sure I'll manage to spray myself too!

HappyFeat

Went hiking yesterday for the first time in ages (and the first time this year). Here's a few pics. Despite how it looks, this trail was definitely not runnable. I was glad I was just ambling along.After Saturday's 14-miler, my legs were tired and my stride was a bit choppy on the downhill return trip. This hike was 11 miles RT, 3500 feet up and 3500 feet down! I didn't get any good pics of the wildflowers, but we passed through and by numerous alpine meadows filled with a dozen different wildflowers. It was an gorgeous day, about 70F, and virtually Bug-Free too! It was such a treat!

The second pic is our destination and the view for our picnic.

The trail continued onward, but we stopped here for lunch.

The low spot in the mountains here is the pass we hiked to for lunch.

posing with some trailside lupine