2000Km-1243 mile club

September 2014 (Read 13 times)

102k! There aren't enough exclamation points! I'm keeping posted...

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Ayola - We may as well chat amongst ourselves while we await and update. How was your run? How do you feel now?

The best I can say about mine is I got it done - 23 miles - and was only about one minute off from my target time for the workout.  I stopped at a PortaPotty mid-mile 14 and nearly couldn't start back up again due a leg cramp. Got it worked out and chugged along. By mile 16, I was fried. Why so hard? Why my legs not up to the task?  I imagined the marathon course with all it's little hills and how would I manage it if I felt like this. It wasn't a pretty scene. I couldn't even focus on my mantras. Sometimes they are too long (3 words!) and I can only latch onto one word. Today, even one word was too hard. I got a little dizzy a few times in the last hour and realized my breathing was erratic, out more than in; so I focused on deep inhalations and that helped. I focused on short quick (ha ha) steps and trying to be as upright as possible. Can we say effing hard?!  Wondering why I wanted to do this.

I have deep respect and admiration for the ultrarunners and marathoners in our group for being able to do what they do.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Right. All done. My final distance was 181.699 km. that earned me 3rd place and as this also doubled as the New Zealand 24 track champs it maker s me 3rd in NZ. Pretty stoked. Here is the final distance board.

final board

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

181 km!!! OVER 100 MILES!   112 and a half miles in fact!!  3rd OA in New Zealand!!!  You're AMAZING!! So proud of you!

Puke - 181k!  so far over 100 miles is amazing. 100 miles is my goal for the month of September - getting it done (and surviving) iin one day is Something pretty inconceivable to me but very inspirational. I'm hoping to hear about the story of the day once you are rested.

Happy - 11. 27 miles, 20:1 strategy, went well felt great during the run, but looks like I have no speed this year. Just not enough training early in the year. Am I allowed to say I'm a bit tired when I'm 100 miles down on the day? Ha! In bed early maybe with the sniffles. Tomorrow gym, stretching and walking about a craft show.

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Puke - 181k!  so far over 100 miles is amazing. 100 miles is my goal for the month of September - getting it done (and surviving) in one day is Something pretty inconceivable to me but very inspirational. I'm hoping to hear about the story of the day once you are rested.

Me too!

HappyFeat

Happy - 11. 27 miles, 20:1 strategy, went well felt great during the run, but looks like I have no speed this year. Just not enough training early in the year. Am I allowed to say I'm a bit tired when I'm 100 miles down on the day? Ha! In bed early maybe with the sniffles. Tomorrow gym, stretching and walking about a craft show.

A

First - can I spend the day with you tomorrow? Sounds wonderful.

Second - I hope you don't mind my checking out your recent mileage, but looking at your recent weekly totals may shed light on your feeling slow and tired.Rounding the numbers, your weekly total mileage history looks like this going back from today:

37 - 25 - 15 - 20 - 35 - 13 - 18 - 20 - 14 - 22 - 20 - 8 - 12 - 17 - 10 - 15 - 8 - 7

It's no wonder you are feeling tired. You had a 37-mile week that you're not used to! I bet if you didn't have such dramatic swings, you'd find the improvement you're seeking. Just my 2-cents.

Happy - you are right as usual. The  (2)  30+ weekly milers in the record are from rearranging my schedule to get the long runs in. Two long runs  bookending 7 days = tiredness. I made the jump from 50ish mile summer months to 93 in August and 97+ in September and I'm snookered.

Running earlier this year was skittish and now I'm paying for it, but hopefully some  of the work/ life issues are quieting down and the schedule will sort itself out after the race. Early thoughts are 4 runs minimum, one spin class and one weight training per week in the off season (November, December)

This is also why I'm looking for a late November/ early December race for next year. Probably closer to home in New York, the "racing season" is over here by Canadian thanksgiving/ Columbus Day. Weather wise I'm missing 6 weeks of perfect training time in the fall...

A

PS I'll send you a note on the craft show...

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

After some review, the light bulb went on and I know why yesterday's LR was so hard. I am my own worst enemy because I had stubbornly decided I felt good enough to do my planned Tempo Workout last Wednesday...contrary to Puke's wise advice. The minute I get some recovery going, I screw it up. I have no doubt that is what did me in. I hope I learn my lesson soon and stop doing that.

HappyFeat

Weather wise I'm missing 6 weeks of perfect training time in the fall...A

Curious about this. You've mentioned going to the gym. Can't you run on the treadmill there if the weather is bad outdoors?

Yup, a lot of February and March running happens on the treadmill - streets are too sloppy and icy form me. I don't mind the gym, there's a new one close by with all of the new stuff and TV.

I just enjoy being outside in the autumn, really I'm happy as it gets cold as long as it isn't slippery - just more fun and beautiful and therefore more motivation for me. I believe every year I'm the most fit right before Christmas.

Now, take it easy on yourself, plenty of time to recover before your race, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Order Information

Order Number: 475106

Order Date: 10/1/2014 8:07 PM

Events

Website

Hardrock 100 Endurance Run Application - Friday, Jul 10, 2015

Participant: Russell Johnson

I am insane.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Insane - maybe - but you gotta chase the dream.

I warn anyone against  about clicking on the "website" link. I did - seems like an hour ago - and only just broke free. There's a ton of links to good articles and writings and good stuff to read there!

Way to go Russ, good luck (maybe) with the lottery.

Still working on my race report, brain is still mush.

Saw this on Facebook, sums up everything perfectly.

Attitude

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Love the poster! I'm working on my "positive spin" these days and that's right on target.  Thanks!